FURY

kammo-man

Saw it on Friday in a local smaller and intimate theater with my wife and daugher. About half the theater was empty seats but that's most likely because of the smaller venue. I liked it that way because I don't like people sitting behind me for obvious reasons.

I enjoyed every minute of the movie. I did not experience a dull moment from beginning to end. Any slower sequences only gave me time to lower my heart rate and relax. I was able to enjoy the storyline as best I could but found myself immersed in the technical aspects of what was being depicted. I am a mechanic and fix my own vehicles and fully restored my own Duce-n-half. I loved that here was a movie that finally depicted life inside a machine of war that I could recognize what was going on. I am one of those types that has to really try hard to ignore the technical blunders of past epic war films; IE M47s, 48s, 65s, and Isreali Super Shermans all painted up to be German. M24 Chaffees going up against supposed King Tigers. Etc. The mock ups and real German tanks were awesome! This movie with all of the effort to attention to detail and technical accuracy was all eye candy for this gearhead. I am eager to watch it again!

Same goes for the uniforms and personal gear. Owen, you did a great job and I commend you for your efforts. Both Sylvia and I are greatful that you picked us to help you tell this story! We felt a major sense of accomplishment watching the film. I think this will be the only time my wife and I will see our tanker jackets on billboards all over the world! :-) It was also a special treat to see all the work of friends like Bob Chatt and Rob Lihani also being depicted. Rob came to my mind when Wardaddy went outside the hatch to get the spare ammo crate for the 30 cal!

Without rehashing what others have opined about the difference between documentary and drama, I will say that what little combat accounts I have read suggest that actual combat is mostly bordom. They had no alternative but to turn up the drama and heat for this film. This film depicts a 24 hour span in 2.5 hours. It's not weeks and weeks of compressed timeline. I think David Ayer's writing and directorial creativity was well balanced between historical accuracy versus Sony's need for a return on their investment with massive action and dramatic ferver. For that what seems unlikelyness and farfetched plots I think the depiction of the courage that our veterans demonstrated was completely believable. I was proud to be an American after watching what was captured on film. This film reminded me about why we fought WWII and why we hated the Germans! That reminder was more palpable than any grandiosity. I sincerely thank those that served our nations military, and especially men that had to endure conditions anything near what was on the screen during this film.

In my opinion this movie will be a milestone as to what can be done on film when technical excellence is required at the very top levels of production. I am humbly proud to have been part of this massive undertaking by so many in the WWII intellectual community. This film will be remembered for much more than just the plot. Way to go guys!

I would say that the "coarse" language is consistent with what I witnessed in modern day combat between Soldiers. I too have heard that WWII Vets often spoke like that when "over there."

I've heard it too, but only in a relaxed bar or garrison environment. The few times I've been around real military, especially troops like paratroops, cursing is normal commo. Perhaps it is a form of endearment for fellow commerades in high esprit de corps units.

Furthermore, you cannot use 1940s films as a benchmark of the word choices people used in real life. One must remember that films are highly regulated and filtered. 1940s film talk was not street talk.

But what I do know is people who curse do it all the time and don't stop.

It is usually a sign of unresolved anger.

For them to stop usually takes a great spiritual awakening.

It doesn't stop because of the ending of an event or a geographical relocation.

Sorry but I don't believe this at all. I know of two former drill sergeants who completely left their "drill sergeant" persona when they went home at night. You could never imagine that these quiet, gentle, family men were drill sergeants. One of them could not believe that his wife could pick out his voice at night from a crowd of soldiers in the dark yelling at recruits.

...Kat

vintageproductions

ydysu4yz.jpg

Best f-bomb caption on a postcard please !

Everyone looking at Owen, and the Vet is saying, " What the F**K did he just say? Does he speak English?", while Pitt and David start laughing as they kept saying the same thing throughout filming.....

ydysu4yz.jpg

Best f-bomb caption on a postcard please !

"Oh, so you're that F**KING guy Owen....Can I please, for the last F**KING time, get my tanker jacket, my german medals, and the rest of my stuff back....I NEVER F**KING said I was giving it to you!

Sorry but I don't believe this at all. I know of two former drill sergeants who completely left their "drill sergeant" persona when they went home at night. You could never imagine that these quiet, gentle, family men were drill sergeants. One of them could not believe that his wife could pick out his voice at night from a crowd of soldiers in the dark yelling at recruits.

...Kat

Thank you for the appology Kat,

I forgive you.

I've read a lot about anger and anger management.

People who use cusing as part of their everyday language are angry about something.

"Oh, so you're that F**KING guy Owen....Can I please, for the last F**KING time, get my tanker jacket, my german medals, and the rest of my stuff back....I NEVER F**KING said I was giving it to you!

This one is the best so far! :lol:

I've read a lot about anger and anger management.

People who use cusing as part of their everyday language are angry about something.

Are you a psychologist or someone who has just "read a lot"?

You stated "For them to stop usually takes a great spiritual awakening." I merely stated that it does not take a "spiritual awakening" for someone to turn this off. Certain situations call for certain actions/reactions. If someone was surrounded by children, they may not drop the "F-bomb" but if they were surrounded by fellow soldiers in a battle, the "F-bomb" might be continuously used. Once this person leaves the battle field, they can turn it back off. It is not a "spiritual awakening" that turned it off. It was walking away from a violent situation.

....Kat

My reply

"I lent it all to Bob Chatt for the ASMIC show display.......didnt you get it back ?"

ugusehu3.jpg

The colors.
Sorry for the picture quality.

David finished off the speech by thanking the 2nd Armor Vets in attendance for their service.

The crown all stood and gave a standing applause for what seemed 5 minutes.

...I've read a lot about anger and anger management. People who use cusing as part of their everyday language are angry about something.

Not true! As a Chaplain working in Corrections Ministry for 5 years, the anger management classes and the subsequent books and literature that go with it are pure psychobabble and have no basis in real life. It was worthless junk and the inmates only took the classes to shorten sentences, their language never changed. Course language is all about a bad habit of inserting a course word to add color. You can say: I love f-word icecream, as well as saying: I hate your f-word guts. Only one of those statements are said in anger but, they both add color... in a warped sort of way.

Now, lets get back to the discussion of a better F-word: Fury.

Did any of the main castmembers show interest or even ride in/on 131?

Yes. On the day 131 was on set, Pitt got invited to scramble aboard and checked it out pretty thoroughly. Climbing inside required covering muddy boots with clean shoe covers.

(Following the shoot day, 131 returned to Bovington to get cleaned up. A week later, the museum folks took 131 out of the barn again for an hour long spin around their area in order for a Fury sound engineer to get a clean recording of every clank, creak, growl, and whir that beast makes. I was lucky enough to spend that hour inside the turret filming that whole process. Had to pinch myself)

Rob L.

Posted Image

I got to go for a spin in the commanders position the length of the battle field as the tiger was driving in top gear.

A very special experience indeed all dressed up like this as well as the crew in uniform.

Yes. On the day 131 was on set, Pitt got invited to scramble aboard and checked it out pretty thoroughly. Climbing inside required covering muddy boots with clean shoe covers.

(Following the shoot day, 131 returned to Bovington to get cleaned up. A week later, the museum folks took 131 out of the barn again for an hour long spin around their area in order for a Fury sound engineer to get a clean recording of every clank, creak, growl, and whir that beast makes. I was lucky enough to spend that hour inside the turret filming that whole process. Had to pinch myself)

Rob L.

The sound must be awesome! I didn't realise all required filming of 131 was done in just 1 day... :)