FURY

kammo-man

CNY Militaria

Justin -

With all due respect then by your assertion why make any attempt at realism at all? Why spend the millions they must have spent to have original WWII tanks fully operational and functional when they could have simply painted a few T72s gray and some M60's green and call it good? Not to be crass, but why not a gratuitous sex scene with Brad Pitt? That for sure would have put more of the general public in play as viewers.

I am not asserting that there be not final climactic battle scene but perhaps it simply could have been made more plausible. A few P47s and some artillery helping them at their stand I don't think would completely turned off the viewing public?

By the way, I disagree about your assertion about documentaries. How many people watched Ken Burns' "Civil War"? How many watched "The War"? Check the Better Angels Society web page - since 1990 345 million people have watched just the premiers of his documentaries - this doesn't include second, third or fourth viewings. I think the general public likes documentaries that are well made and ring true.

I enjoy the lively discussion! :) Thanks all for your posts and opinions - I respect them all.

Very best regards!

Bill K.

Bill,

There is a sector of the public that loves documentaries...I am not denying that. But that crowd is getting older, NOT younger. I work in higher education and can attest to it with the new generations of learners.

I stand by what I said. The movie was NOT made for collectors, but the general public. The director was trying to evoke certain emotions at the end of the film. Have you seen the movie "End of Watch?" He directed that as well. The final scene "climax" scene of both movies is similar and leaves you speechless. That is what will sell tickets, spark conversation, and be remembered. The AAF coming to save the day already happened in Saving Private Ryan. This needed a different ending.

Justin

I saw it Saturday night and I think it's a award winning movie to me!!! I over heard many people comming out after the movie saying how great a movie it was!!! The end of the movie reminded me of the brother hood bond as my Vietnam Vet father-inlaw laid it out to me one day that the guy he served in the bad times (combat) in Vietnam are more a brothers to him then his own two flesh and blood brothers are and the war buddies have been getting together every year for 46 years!

Great movie!

uniformcollector

Although events like those in the last scene VERY rarely happen. Occasionally, they do. Certain Medal of Honor citations in WWII depict things equally incredible. The board of decorations didn't believe that Master Sergeant Chilson or any person would go into the open and fire at the enemy, drive towards them in a motorcycle and then charge towards them with a grenade. Yes, the last scene may have been a bit over the top, but sometimes, incredible things just happen.

Went back to go a 2nd time tonight....this is indeed a movie in which you notice more details when seeing it again.

I took this photo when the credit sequence began, not too shabby Owen!

Philip

post-25965-0-30717800-1413705080.jpg

Philip

Great photo Phillip!

I watched for that in the credits at the end as well, and thought the magnitude was both well deserved and impressive.

Went back to go a 2nd time tonight....this is indeed a movie in which you notice more details when seeing it again.

Philip

Not just in the opening sequence! :)

post-80-0-76291900-1413707740.png

What can I say? Loved it. There is so much action my neck hurt from straining to watch!

As far as the "critical" scene I think it is in there so the ladies have a nice human drama piece to watch.

They tend to get tired of bullets flying everywhere all the time. (and no insult meant for the ladies reading!)

I think it is cool that there are so many people from the forum involved, speaks volumes.

both for the forum members and the movie... In fact a friend of mine in our historical group even had a piece.

He is part of the 2nd Armored Division Association and set up the interviews the producers had with the vets.

He even had his name in the credits and got invited to D.C. for the premeire...

They gave out plastice 2nd Armor pins (pic attached) at the premeire and he brought us each one. A bunch (15) of us

guys from the Historical group went to see the movie Friday and wore our pins.

Of course we had to sit through the credits to catch Jack's name at almost the last credit. The teens who

clean the theatre between showings were very impatatienly waiting for us to leave.....

post-8015-0-08771100-1413720147.jpeg

x15.jpgWent back to go a 2nd time tonight....this is indeed a movie in which you notice more details when seeing it again.

Philip

First time in a movie theater when I saw Owen's credits where I could say....hey, I know that guy!!

Leatherneck-1918

OK,
Went last last night to see this (saw it twice now) and as a Real U.S. Army Retired "Treadhead" with 19 of my 23 years spent of "Treads"and I've been in combat more than once (and i don't need to hear crude from any "Armchair Commando's either - The day you pull what's left of your driver out of your "Track" after it's been hit with a IED, then you can come and talk to me) there's somethings that they got right with the minute details of it and then there's some other stuff that i question or would've never have happened (and that i'd call BS on !) and i wasn't to happy with the tactics they were using either while working in the town, but it's OK (not the greatest) but after watching it, i'll give it a B-.

I saw it last night. I thought it was a very good movie. I wouldn't put it up there with Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan by any means, but it was well done and the costumes/attention to detail was very good.

JD

Saw the Move last night with a bunch of fellow Army Officers, I thought the movie was great. The best thing I thought about the movie was the interaction between the members of the crew. I thought they did a great job showing the dark, crude humor that develops between Soldiers that are together during times of immense stress. It was obvious who in our theater had been in combat and those that had not by seeing who laughed at some of the jokes and one liners.

I can't believe some of you guys are saying it's over the top at the end and it's just Hollywood! If you go back to 1955 and watch the movie ( To hell and back) it ends about the same way with Audie Murphy jumping up on a burning tank and shooting the hell out of the German and thats how Audie received one of his medal of Honors. TRUE STORY!!!!

I saw it on Friday night....

What I liked about it....? The dirt and grime....GI's looking like they stepped out of a Bill Mauldin cartoon. Overall authenticity of gear and uniforms pretty darn good. Cool to just see the tanks going across the countryside...through towns....etc.

Only complaint.....?.......through the first half of the movie especially.....the character's dialogue seems a bit too coarse to me....a few too many f-bombs, etc. Personally, I think it would have been better if they dialed that back a notch or two.

Ending sequence....maybe a bit over the top.....but honestly I was too into the film to think about it too much at the time I saw it.

Overall...very good. I might go back and watch it again on the big screen.

I think part of the problem for many reviewers, is the movie does not support their perceived views of the world. It is a very harsh reminder of how brutal war is, and what it takes to actually win one.  

It is really more about the difficult choices one has to quickly make under the harshest conditions, where further discussion, consensus building, or walking away are off the table.

I am not sure that I agree that War Daddy needs more of a back story, because that character already has enough presence, and more would only take away from the growth and evolution of others.  

In the end, what I think the reviewers are totally missing, is this movie is really not about tanks or Brad Pitt.  

Fury challenges us think what we each might do, and more importantly causes us to remember what our brothers, sisters, fathers, uncles, and grandfathers that were the "Normans" in WW II, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and all the other wars we have been involved in, have faced and done for us. 

That's good thoughtful insight into the movie

I can only echo what others have said about the film. It is truly outstanding and I greatly enjoyed the viewing experience.

It is great that fellow forum members contributed to the project. Their dedication and expertise really shone through.

Bryant

audacia cum prudentia

I haven't seen it yet, I had a ( very) small input into it, I have no axe to grind, I have no rump to kiss. I would like to put a few points before I see it

1) It is a unique attempt, however it translates into the screen or the takings, in that it portrays THE ORDINARY soldier and tanker at the end of the war. It

is not Airborne, it is not Rangers, it is not 8th AF, it is not black fighter pilots, it is not USMC. It is not D-DAY, surely the last time this was attempted was

the THIN RED LINE for the PTO and BRIDGE AT REMARGEN for the ETO and that was way back in 1968, 28 years after the end of the war.

It is now 46 years since BRIDGE AT REMARGEN

2) I think they would have been better filming a factual story, - The Hammelburg raid, in which truth is stranger than fiction in an epic tale which has it all

HOWEVER :

3) Having seen a small part of it being made, the effort is just immense, the cost huge, the investment frightening. It is very clear, very quickly, that in spite of

anyone's vision and dreams that this is BIG business, and big business has to have a serious shot at regaining it's investment AND turning a profit on top.

Authenticity and realism come second to this and always will, our 2nd Armored trips are immense undertakings and we have been the boldest, and

bravest re-enactors there have been, and I say this without shame or false modesty, but being responsible for this would have turned me to jelly.

4) I hope this film translates into a massive commercial success, gets people interested in WW2 history who may never have otherwise, brings new young

blood into collecting and re-enacting, and leads onto other WW2 films, of an ordinary nature being made

5) The f******g Hammelburg raid, please !!!! SONY, take pity on me !!

Jon

2nd Armored in Europe.co.uk

Just finished the movie and enjoyed it. You could hear a pin drop in the theater at the end. I consider this the most moving war movie I have ever seen,

Now to those who think the scene at the end was unrealistic....Maybe so, but if it didn't have that scene, you would be watching a documentary, and most members of the public don't enjoy watching those. The movie was made to appeal to everyone, not collectors and military historians.

Justin

same reaction in the crowd that I saw it with- in fact some people were crying at the end. I enjoyed the movie and chose to NOT read reviews [here or elsewhere] BEFORE seeing it.

My wife is one of the GP who hates documentaries and she liked this one- and I agree with Justin- its one I believe will appeal to a wider audience and MAY spark some younger folks into reading the 'true' history of the 2d Armored Division [or other units] - watching old WW2 John Wayne movies with his uncle as a kid and the world at war series is how this collector became interested in the second world war and the greatest generation- just my thoughts

dave