FURY

kammo-man

You guys never saw German FLAK batteries firing in real historical footage (especially at night)?

That's Star Wars for you!

But it is no movie, it's the real deal!

Erwin

vintageproductions

The deleted scenes and extra footage is great.

A lot of this was in the original cut I saw, before the studio cut it up.

Great to see all the "extras" also. Most of those were done by our own member ROBL.

vintageproductions

That's why I went out and bought a Blu Ray player this weekend.

It was for sale at Target for $50.00 and plays dvd's.

After watching all the extras on the Fury BR it was well worth every penny spent.

There is an exclusive BluRay set being offered only at Best Buy stores that contains an additional disk with the 'Tanks of Fury' Smithsonian Channel documentary and even another 'behind the scenes' segment.

Many of the stores already sold out of this exclusive "only at Best Buy" version of the disk, but it may still be available via online (not sure for how long) through the Best Buy website.

Rob L.

The deleted scenes and extra footage is great.

A lot of this was in the original cut I saw, before the studio cut it up.

Great to see all the "extras" also. Most of those were done by our own member ROBL.

Hmmmmm.... that's definitely worth a consideration.

vintageproductions

damn, guess I need to go to Best Buy and get that version now.....

On the regular Target one I bought, the interviews with the real vet's, the actors and with David Ayer, were worth the price on their own.

VladimirBerkov

Interesting, I thought the movie in the cinema wasn't bad, certainly more realistic than SPR even with some of the questionable German tactics.

audacia cum prudentia

Strangely enough SPR was on the TV yesterday and I watched it sewing on 4th and 16th Armored Division insignia for the Czech Fury trip.

How sad !

But, I was struck by how poor a film it seemed compared to when I first saw it. Whilst the INITIAL Omaha landing was still the best bit of re-created WW2 movie I think I've seen, once the mirror/chewing gum/bayonet came out I groaned, and whilst I know it's a film, I was struck by how quickly it gave the impression that OMAHA BEACH was decided.

After that it degenerated into a gratuitous blood and gore fest, with action resembling DIE HARD 2, attempted shock for the sake of it. I was surprised actually how restrained in this element FURY was, and I think it worked better in that respect

Strangely enough SPR was on the TV yesterday and I watched it sewing on 4th and 16th Armored Division insignia for the Czech Fury trip.

How sad !

But, I was struck by how poor a film it seemed compared to when I first saw it. Whilst the INITIAL Omaha landing was still the best bit of re-created WW2 movie I think I've seen, once the mirror/chewing gum/bayonet came out I groaned, and whilst I know it's a film, I was struck by how quickly it gave the impression that OMAHA BEACH was decided.

After that it degenerated into a gratuitous blood and gore fest, with action resembling DIE HARD 2, attempted shock for the sake of it. I was surprised actually how restrained in this element FURY was, and I think it worked better in that respect

World War II was, in fact, a gratuitous blood and gore fest.

audacia cum prudentia

World War II was, in fact, a gratuitous blood and gore fest.

But not EVERYONE died in 1001 pieces right in your face, every few minutes, everywhere around one, over almost every square meter of countryside as a re-watching of SPR seemed to imply. Struck me how much more effective BOB and Fury were in that respect

But not EVERYONE died in 1001 pieces right in your face, every few minutes, everywhere around one, over almost every square meter of countryside as a re-watching of SPR seemed to imply. Struck me how much more effective BOB and Fury were in that respect

True, the majority of men in the Army were never even wounded. Casualties in any given engagement rarely topped 5-10% and that would normally be only the lead companies. Casualties during the war in Europe was more like a long continual drip than a flood, when examined as a whole. So movies like SPR which focus on the most extremely bloody engagements, don't really show the randomness of the actual war.

Tom Bowers

ViewfinderGyrene

True, the majority of men in the Army were never even wounded. Casualties in any given engagement rarely topped 5-10% and that would normally be only the lead companies. Casualties during the war in Europe was more like a long continual drip than a flood, when examined as a whole. So movies like SPR which focus on the most extremely bloody engagements, don't really show the randomness of the actual war.

Tom Bowers

Well said.

Finally saw the movie and thought every part was great.

I have no problem with the final scene.

Well done in all respects and frankly I'm surprised I liked it so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the scene with the two German women was too long and unnecessary [waste of film]

the ending was also silly, why fight to the death when you can live to fight another day? they werent wounded so they could have easily slipped away, they didnt have orders to hold the road , they just had a broken down tank.

the ending was something from a Rambo movie, almost like a one man army against 300 SS troops, not something they would have done

the ending was something from a Rambo movie, almost like a one man army against 300 SS troops, not something they would have done

I agree it wasn't very likely to have been seen in WW2 and the ending was a little too 'comic book-ish' for my tastes, but I have in fact read of far stranger (and crazier) things soliders did in WW2.

I wouldn't dream of saying a soldier 'never' would have done something unless it was a physical impossiblity or happened with techniques or weapons/equipment that didn't yet exist.

If it could have happened, there's no reason to think someone at least considered it.

WW2 was a very large conflict.

The Tank was holding the line to prevent the Germans smash into the rear of the US line Bolo.

owen

thanks Owen, I just rewatched the part when the Sgt was told that enemy troops were spotted in the area they were going and they needed to keep the Germans from getting through the crossroads and to the US Supply train, so they actually prevented the German SS from getting to the US supply train. :)

I read somewhere that the ending was modelled on a real event, however, in the REAL event the tank in question was Canadian.

I think some of the people who mention the toned down gore in Fury as oposed to SPR actually forget that the action takes place over a 24 Hour period.

Just a couple of annecdotal things I have heard about the background of the Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) character... (Others please clarify if I am wrong and I hope I am not overstepping my bounds)

Did you know that the girl in his pistol grips was actually his former wife whom was killed in a car accident while wardaddy was driving while drunk? This was before he enlisted. Did you know that the next morning the judge told him either he gets thrown in the slammer and let to rot in jail for what he did, or he joins the Army and try to atone for his selfishness. Se he joins the Army and becomes Wardaddy. I wished this kind of character development would have been allowed into the movie.

Understanding this I don't blame Wardaddy for not wanting to come home to face his reality. He had seen enough of war and then to face his guilt over killing his own wife was all too much for him. Kind of puts the ending of the movie in a different light. The mission was a hold to the death situation as the rest of the unit would certainly have be overrun. If you recall he tells his crew to leave him alone but they couragiously decide to stay and fight knowing full well that doing so would mean certain death. "This is my home" he said. They all knew they were going to die. This is where Shia really earned my respect. He really pulled of a moment of instense soul searching and brought all the rest of the characters into the moment with him. And Norman became "Machine" to boot.