FURY

kammo-man

Finally, a musette bag and m1 helmet, again, informed that these are also off one of the tanks due to the one piece straps for hanging them. But sadly I doubt I'll be able to ever identify them.

post-1339-0-41788900-1416860844.jpg

post-1339-0-13560300-1416860854.jpg

post-1339-0-24083600-1416860861.jpg

Nice scores Stonewaller.

In case you're curious: the 'AO' in the lot number stamped on the single tube stands for Arcadia Ordnance. And the 711 is my birthday, July 11.

The lot number on the 76G crate - 607 - is my wife's birthday. Its 'all in the family' at Arcadia Ordnance Depot!

If you decide to cut those steel strapping bands and split open that crate, you'd find two repro cloverleafs end caps holding those three tubes - secured by a long bolt and a repro wing nut along with a data plate identifying the ammunition type and lot number.

Yes, your 50 cal crate is an original - reborn for the movie. I stripped off some rotten, faded markings and remarked for 50 cal. Made the wingnuts too. Inside the crate, you might find Arcadia Ordnance burned into the wood bottom. Most of the other small arms ammo crates needed new lids. But yours has an original lid too. As I recall only about 7 or 8 of the M1917 crates were marked 50 cal. The others I made were marked for 30 cal 8 round clips in bandoleers.

That English mud makes them look all the more authentic!

Thanks for sharing.

(and I have to thank Lee for all this insanity: the first cool crate I ever bought - easily over a decade ago - was from Lee. An early war 50 cal crate. It still holds a place of honor in my collection!)

Rob L.

I figured Rob would mark his stuff somehow. I'm glad he does as if you just rough up one of his crates there's almost nothing to keep you from passing it off as original. It never fails when I throw one of his crates into the back of my Jeep at a show that someone asks where I got NOS originals.

His grenade crate is a thing if beauty, the letters are embossed lightly into the wood like the roll printers did them back then. with matching hardware, ORD seals on the wires they look amazing.

I've long since been a cheering section for his work because he's never made anything that wasn't very impressive. When he brought some crates to the Portland MVPA convention in 2008, guy in my living history group bought up most of the crates he brought up.

and I have to thank Lee for all this insanity: the first cool crate I ever bought - easily over a decade ago - was from Lee. An early war 50 cal crate. It still holds a place of honor in my collection!

Rob, I hadn't realize that crate got you onto your current crate repro obsession. The funny thing is that I declined selling it to Hayes O at a show for less than what I was asking for (he doesn't go down on prices, why should I?) and you snapped it up on the G503 forum soon after. So glad it went to the best home for it. I should have just given the crate to you for what I got out of that deal later on.

I used to laugh when watching "Mail Call" as I swear I saw that crate almost every single week on TV. I know you took a shot of me with that crate on the set at Sable Ranch in 2005 (my God, it's been that long, hasn't it?), I need to look for that shot...

Nice scores Stonewaller.

In case you're curious: the 'AO' in the lot number stamped on the single tube stands for Arcadia Ordnance. And the 711 is my birthday, July 11.

The lot number on the 76G crate - 607 - is my wife's birthday. Its 'all in the family' at Arcadia Ordnance Depot!

Amazing, nice little detail mate! Great touch there.

If you decide to cut those steel strapping bands and split open that crate, you'd find two repro cloverleafs end caps holding those three tubes - secured by a long bolt and a repro wing nut along with a data plate identifying the ammunition type and lot number.

I don't think I will, but I saw many on the set being opened/burned/stacked up. I think mine has black tape to simulate the clover leaf from a distance. The ones I did see with tags looked excellent! Maybe I'll take a closer look at some point to check.

Yes, your 50 cal crate is an original - reborn for the movie. I stripped off some rotten, faded markings and remarked for 50 cal. Made the wingnuts too. Inside the crate, you might find Arcadia Ordnance burned into the wood bottom. Most of the other small arms ammo crates needed new lids. But yours has an original lid too. As I recall only about 7 or 8 of the M1917 crates were marked 50 cal. The others I made were marked for 30 cal 8 round clips in bandoleers.

I'm soo pleased to hear it's an original and even rarer being one of 7 or 8. I doubt I'll be able to pick it out on film though! Great news!

That English mud makes them look all the more authentic!

Unfortunately it doesn't have the same effect on my carpet!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your hard work. These now take pride of place in my collection. As I said to you on one of the first days of filming. Your work is second to none.

Another Fury prop, a Baker company/batallion M1 helmet, net and liner.

It's a repro fixed bail shell with repro straps. And has a label with "tired GI" on the liner. Although, I'm sure I heard a rumour some of the wardrobe came surplus from monuments men. So maybe it was labelled for that. Who knows!

Si

post-1339-0-17192200-1416950009.jpg

post-1339-0-86484100-1416950032.jpg

post-1339-0-28056700-1416950051.jpg

post-1339-0-24597300-1416950064.jpg

post-1339-0-36552000-1416950083.jpg

Lee ,

Did you ever get to watch Tanks of Fury ?

owen

I tried, but the sound snyc was so far off the video, I just couldn't watch it. It was off by several seconds on my home and work computers as well as my cell. I still don't get why.

I'll try it again to see if anything's changed...

Another Fury prop, a Baker company/batallion M1 helmet, net and liner.

It's a repro fixed bail shell with repro straps. And has a label with "tired GI" on the liner. Although, I'm sure I heard a rumour some of the wardrobe came surplus from monuments men. So maybe it was labelled for that. Who knows!

Si

Great prop helmet, your a lucky guy!...........mike

Rule of thumb......

If it played near the camera helmets got the good nets and rips.

Your helmet is one of these.

Further away got smaller mesh as we could not find enough good nets.

We tried to keep D-Day large nets to a minim.

owen

Hello,

I have looked at Tanks of Fury a couple of times and it is great! I also enjoyed seeing Owen explaining the camo patterns.

There's just one thing I'm a bit puzzled about on a technical point of view is the prop tiger and it raised two questions. Before I get to the point,

there is absolutely no criticism here, I'm just curious:

- What is the time proportion of appearance between the prop and the original in the movie ?

- Since one cannot tell the difference between the prop and the real, why get to so much efforts to have a real one in the movie (except obviously for the prestige of having THE original).

Would be interesting to hear about since before seeing the documentary I hadn't heard about the prop.

Thanks!

Pretty simple.

The tank museum set almost impossible limits to what could be done with the tiger.

Until the tiger arrived on set and the director yelled action the tank could have been pulled due it a thousand reasons.

The stand in tiger and fury rehearsed the action numerous times so when the real tiger his the set everyone knew what to do and when.

We were allowed an hour running time on the engine that was monitored with a man with a stop watch and clip board.

In the end the museum gave us the tiger for an extra day which was a blessing as they seen the care and professional way it was treated by cast and crew.

The short tiger battle took 6 months of planing and hundreds of hours in countless meetings to make it happen.

Not to mention the road built under the dirt which cost over a 100k.

I hope this clears up your question.

Owen

A monumental task but I loved the result.

When that Tiger appeared, I did get on the edge of my chair.

And when I told my friend that a real Tiger was used, he also was thrilled (and he's an Airborne collector :excl:).

I wonder .... would any of the Sherman "ammo" come up for sale?

Would be cool to have one of more of those resin shells (or whatever they were made of).

Erwin

Erwin, I had the chance to buy and look over some of the Empties from inside fury. The very ones ejected by coon rump himself. They were a little over my budget sadly. But almost all were, (I'm told) beautifully and fabricated from scratch out of I assume brass/a metal similar in colour. With dents/simulated burned carbon effects.

I saw some complete rounds on the set with the warheads (and obviously inside fury) I think they were maybe aluminium rounds with the same milled repro shell. Beautiful workmanship that I'm sure rob l and Owen know much more about.

Rule of thumb......

If it played near the camera helmets got the good nets and rips.

Your helmet is one of these.

Further away got smaller mesh as we could not find enough good nets.

We tried to keep D-Day large nets to a minim.

owen

Thanks Owen. Great to know!

Thank you Owen for this extensive and enlightening reply. Now I got it ;)

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I had the privilege of seeing the movie for a 3rd time last week and all the unnoticed small details show up after a few viewings!

What about that cool baseball bat with the friction tape!

Talking about Fury memorabilia, this is something i'd really like to own!

Not to mention the road built under the dirt which cost over a 100k.

Absolutely. This is something that I learned while watching Tanks of Fury and was totally unaware of.

You guys really went up to the max. Thanks for your efforts and dedication.