FURY

kammo-man

Thanks Andrei. I'll see what the lyrics look like, might use that when my 9th grade class studies the rise of fascism, etc. in the Spring.

I've got one more question for those were involved with the film. I noticed a few African American soldiers, one that was apparently pretty close to the CO of Baker Company, I think, and just wondered how their presence was explained. We all know that the Army was segregated, etc., and I wondered if they were guys in segregated outfits attached to the 30th or 2nd Armored and found themselves basically integrated because the combat was so hot at times at the close of the war? I wondered the same thing about one soldier in the movie Battleground, and in looking into it, there was one small African American unit that got caught in Bastogne with the 101st and felt that it was pretty darn cool for them to be recognized for the time period when that movie was made.

Erwin read it correctly. The Sherman in my photos is an M4A3E8 (76mm) which, as displayed in the Tank Museum bore a British serial number and a brass name plate. The Firefly was a different variant altogether...mostly Shernan Vs, armed with the British 17 pounder gun...the only allied gun on a par with the German 88mm. The US Army declined them as their philosophy at the time was to let their Tank Destroyer units deal with enemy armour. Below is a Firefly at The Tank Museum.

post-8022-0-67681400-1414333327.jpg

A couple things that I saw in the movie that I had never seen before that really brought the realism to life for me:

Tracers: Every time a machine gun fired there were tracers, 4:1 combat mix. Green for the German Guns, Red for US. I had never seen that many tracers before in a movie. Usually you see them in certain scenes just for effect. In FURY, you saw them in every fire fight and you saw the Soldiers using them as they were intended Gordo even givens Norman an in prompt to class on how to use the tracers to target while they are driving.

WP: Also one of the only movies I have seen were the US uses WP. And definitely the only one I have seen where it is used both to obscure enemy forces, and as an anti-personnel round. Great job by the special effects that made it WP explosions look like they do in real life.

Machine guns that run out of Ammo: Sounds stupid but this movie had more machine gun reloads of any movie I had ever seen. Yes, they run out of ammo, usually at bad times, and sometimes the ammo is in places that are dangerous to get to. The movie does a great job showing how vulnerable the main characters feel during those reloads. Awesome job in an area that is usually omitted in Hollywood.

"Best Job I Ever Had" Great quote to some up a lot veterans feelings on War. I saw an interview of a couple WWII vets and one of them had the perfect quote: "I wouldn't trade my experiences in the War for a million dollars, but I wouldn't pay a dime to go through it again." Truer words have never been spoken.

Anyways, my $.02

Wade

Dirt Detective

The M1917 small arms crates had tin inserts with false bottoms so the tops could be opened and bandoleers pulled out on camera.

attachicon.gifphoto 53.JPG

an ammunition issue point getting prepped on the set.

attachicon.gifphoto6.JPG

Wow.. You nailed the look of that Rob. If we had a time machine this is what it would look like. In my opinion they should have had a dialog scene at this pile while they were restocking ammo. Shorten the breakfast scene and more crate stuff. :)

Thanks to those who posted the detailed still photos recently.

It's hard to remember a military movie that did so well on overall authenticity of uniforms and equipment. Very cool to see it on film.

Rob,

Excellent work on the crating. I would expect that you will be gainfully employed making these!!!

Your crates helped make the movie in my opinion!!! You can't have a legitimate depiction of military operations without supply logistics and it's by-products!

Thanks to those who posted the detailed still photos recently.

It's hard to remember a military movie that did so well on overall authenticity of uniforms and equipment. Very cool to see it on film.

I agree! ;)

Saw the movie saturday evening and found it a visual time warp.

I noticed in the opening credits the radio traffic sounds and from there on I knew I would be glued to the screen.

Outstanding job to all.

439th Signal Battalion

I saw it yesterday evening and am in total agreement with nearly all the other comments - very compelling and very well done. I have thought about the movie all day with the sounds of the radio traffic and bull-dozer moving the bodies out of the way near the beginning of the movie, being the most frequent reminders going through my mind.

My grandfather went through the village of Montelimar in September or October (?), 1944, when the Germans were caught there and pounded by Allied air and artillery shortly after landing in Southern France. He never forgot the bull-dozers clearing the road of dead men and horses so they could advance through the valley

Saw it just an half hour ago. I was absolutely amazed by the movie. It was one for the books and when looking at the previous posted photographs I knew it was going to be a great movie. It turned out to be so!

Now we wait for the BluRay movie!

audacia cum prudentia

Wow.. You nailed the look of that Rob. If we had a time machine this is what it would look like. In my opinion they should have had a dialog scene at this pile while they were restocking ammo. Shorten the breakfast scene and more crate stuff. :)

They did, it seems to have ended up on the cutting room floor

As someone who was lucky enough to have spent some time on the film as an extra, collects US WW2 militaria, and is a film maker for a living, I will try and give my honest review of the movie without too many spoilers and talk of the merits of the film production, rather than individual scenes, so as not to spoil it for anyone.

Despite being part of the battalion scene at the start of the movie. I had little knowledge of how the rest of the film would play out script wise, and tried to avoid any plot hints, to get the maximum impact. I was not disappointed.

The sets were incredible, and really made me feel like I was in that last stretch of occupied Germany. The film clearly showed the fruits of much hard work by the set designers and lots of painstaking research from the production team. Having only seen the battalion set in person (which in itself was absolutely gobsmacking) and Going by the set/prop/wardrobe-to-screen time ratio for that's scene, I'd hazard a guess that there was plenty more that wasn't seen but was still there.

All of the sets were filled with thousands of high quality props, that collectors such as ourselves can be assured, fit in seamlessly and authentically.

This is coupled with hundreds of well costumed extras both military and civilian, adding feelings of unease and tension, which made me constantly question wether or not the next refugee may be a panzerfaust wielding fanatic, or a helpless German caught up the chaos of war. A feeling I'm sure crossed the mind of many a GI at that point.

Sound design was first class, although, at some points I did find certain bits of dialogue hard to hear. But maybe that was my picture house. I would also have expected a bit more "engine loudness" on the interior shots when fury was really gunning it, but I've never driven in a Sherman before so it may be quieter!

I especially liked the foley sounds created for the tiger/AT shells as they whiz zed past or would ricochet. And also the ticking sound of fury from the interior as she cools down as well as all of the squeaks/groans and clanks that you get climbing in and on a Sherman. (I did it for my week on set). Very interesting to see the com record being done through a real radio. Love that touch fellas.

Cinematography was beautiful and unique. The DP(s)did a great job with the atmospheric lighting, especially at the end of the film (nicely matched with the interior shots filmed separately, where lots of dynamic light is leaking through the periscopes/view ports).

Lots of nice silhouettes and "the fog of war" adding to the tension and uneasy feelings and a grimy, desaturated look throughout.

The latitude and contrast of the film this was shot on is clear and stunning. Glad to see someone still using this format to its full potential.

Amazing contrast between beautiful external wide shots, the frame filled with massive hulking machines or vast landscapes covered in the materiel and personnel of war. Paired with claustrophobic interiors. Almost portrait like shots, with war daddy framed seemingly atop a throne in his turret.

VFX, also did a great job on things like the tracers, impacts, deaths etc. very convincing stuff that didn't seem over the top.

Character dynamics are echoed by what everyone else has said. Incredible acting, and really conveys what these guys were going through on many personal levels. I really love the relationship between war daddy's character and the other crewmen in fury, how he is somewhat of a father figure. I thought the breakfast scene did a lot to develop them all, and demonstrated not just their possessiveness over him, but a devout loyalty to him.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie and appreciate the sheer scale of what went into having been there for a small time (best job I ever had).

My girlfriend came along to see it, and she HATES (fears), war movies. She loved it.

Well done to all involved.

Oh and I made the cut. This grainy screenshot will do until the blu ray is released

Great write up Simon....oh and so did i thats me in the light Tankers Jacket..:-)

When I was at the theatre there was one man who got up and walked out.He said something to a person he knew as he was walkking out.This was right after the scene where the german soldier was shot after the first tank and infantry assault on the tree line.

The person stated......"I thought I was here to see a movie and not this".

I am guessing he reffered to the shooting of the soldier.

It appeared the scene upset him.His perogitive to leave.To be this upsetting I was thinking the film has evoked real emmotion and realism to have him walk out at this point.

The man was maybe in his mid 60s.I guess he thought war is not clean and not brutal.

I saw plenty of people walk out of Private Ryan in the theater when they started capping Germans in the trenches near the start of the film. Some were WW2 vet age and many were now.

I saw maybe 1-2 people walk out of 'Fury' with the German in GI raincoat scene. I found that pretty tough to watch, myself.