FURY

kammo-man

I saw the movie on Friday night. It’s not as well written as Saving Private Ryan, but it’s still a very powerful movie which was done to an amazing degree of authenticity. I can see why some people wouldn’t love it, as there’s more than a few seriously uncomfortable scenes within it.

The tank battles are very well done, even though the tanks are way closer than they’d be in real life. They’re possibly the best representation of tracer rounds being fired in a movie I’ve ever seen. When the Shermans get lit up, it’s all digital but you really believe it just happened. The use of WP looks very authentic as well. The thing people will likely take exception with is the depiction of GIs in combat. We’ve put the ‘Greatest generation’ on a pedestal and it’ll be tough for people to think that their grandfather did stuff like this (likely as it may be). This sure isn’t a movie for kids or folks with sensitive ears. I’ll buy it on DVD immediately once it comes out, though, as it’s probably the most accurate movie ever made about tankers in WW2 (even though they show the tanks being comically close to one another). And those scenes with the world’s only running Tiger I? Man, that was worth the ticket price just to see that!

A week later, the museum folks took 131 out of the barn again for an hour long spin around their area in order for a Fury sound engineer to get a clean recording of every clank, creak, growl, and whir that beast makes. I was lucky enough to spend that hour inside the turret filming that whole process. Had to pinch myself)

Rob, nothing but love, you know that, but man I have a deep-seated envy of you right now...

gaze5yme.jpg

I got to go for a spin in the commanders position the length of the battle field as the tiger was driving in top gear.

A very special experience indeed all dressed up like this as well as the crew in uniform.

I wasn't as lucky as you were to ride in it, but I was thrilled to see a StugIII run for the first time since WWII at Duxford back around 1997. The Land Warfare Museum mechanics got the tank from Finland earlier in the week and got it running in time for the airshow that was on that weekend. What an experience it was to see and hear a 100% original German tank in person.

The movie is STILL going over and over in my head. That was one hell of a visceral experience!

-Ski

ydysu4yz.jpg

Best f-bomb caption on a postcard please !

Frankly Brad...I would stay away from the Cat with the California Condor Nest on top of his head.Forbid you get near him,Forever grabing you,Familiarly slings an arm around and hollers to stand still while somebody runs up and takes our picture.First I heard he was nicknamed Commo-man and was doing the talking part of the movie...Found that hard to believe as I cannot understand a word he utters,Fellow must be from England or somewhere?Flippant as he is...Future enrollment at the Techical school taking sign language would allow folks to better understand him.Fairy Tales abound, Fellow was the Costume Designer on the Flick...Fantasic Job!!! Fabulous work.First class job as it was not a Folly to Fund this Owen with all the Fiduciary awards he deserves.

So, this is my addition to the F...bomb caption...I went to see FURY yesterday and your work was the Star of the movie in my opinion...Congrats.

ydysu4yz.jpg

Best f-bomb caption on a postcard please !

That's the guy that "borrowed" my stuff a year ago? F#### that F###ing F###er!

Courtesy of one of my PLT SGTs, the F Bomb used as a verb, adjective and a noun all in the same sentence. Gotta love Soldiers!

Great Pic by the way.

Wade

The movie is STILL going over and over in my head. That was one hell of a visceral experience!

-Ski

Definitely. It ran through my mind all weekend. The kind of movie where it makes you want to go home and hug your kids. One thing that I think the actors pulled off well was their bond with each other, and I think that has been mentioned already. A few years ago at Lodge, there was a D-Day vet and a 32nd Div. PTO vet. I did an educational program about WWII as it was our June meeting, and the D-Day vet kind of had a hard time with it. He appreciates it, but this time something bothered him. Anyways, the PTO man (that cut a Japanese soldier in two with his BAR after the guy put a bullet through his earlobe) put his hand on John's shoulder, and just nodded. Nobody else noticed it, bond between combat men. If you weren't there, you just don't know when it all comes down to it. That was the first thing I thought of seeing characters' reactions when folks were hit (tried to make that as vague as possible to not spoil anything).

vintageproductions

That's the guy that "borrowed" my stuff a year ago? F#### that F###ing F###er!

Courtesy of one of my PLT SGTs, the F Bomb used as a verb, adjective and a noun all in the same sentence. Gotta love Soldiers!

Great Pic by the way.

Wade

Trust us Kammo-Man can use the F word in a very poetic way, and also all in the same sentence.

Trust us Kammo-Man can use the F word in a very poetic way, and also all in the same sentence.

Nobody can beat an old dairy farmer. Dad had six in one sentence.

My dog did something unimaginable in my car a few weeks ago and I spoke to him plainly in language that would make paint peel of the wall in a convent.

Had to laugh though.

BTW

Bob did give me a creative cursing book for my birthday one year so I can thank him for he monster I have became.

I just saw this movie this afternoon, and I was really impressed. I think I liked it better than "Private Ryan" mainly because in Ryan, it seemed like the troops had no sooner stormed ashore, conquered the cliffs (Rangers), taken out the big German guns on top and, voila! Tom Hanks and his buddies were hiking all over France. What about the terrible battles after D-Day, the fighting hedgerow to hedgerow, or maybe I missed someone discussing this in the movie. I might have; I just really got heavy into WWII in the last several years and whatever they may have said probably went right over my head. :)

Anyway, although I thought Fury to be a bit overlong, especially in the scene in the home of the two women, and I can't imagine guys who had fought together the way these guys did being that pissy with each other, but what do I know?

What made Fury even more exciting to me is that not one month ago I met an old guy who actually is a veteran who served with the 2nd Armored Division, to which the Fury crew belonged. He told me that their motto was "Hell on Wheels," something I hadn't known, and he also told me that he lost every member of his tank crew at the Battle of the Bulge. He finally was wounded and was flown out and was in hospital for more than 9 months recovering. I don't know how much longer the old guy will be around as he was having a hard time moving. Still, he wears his "World War II Veteran" hat and it is very touching to see how many people (we were in a restaurant) came up to him to thank him for his service. He and his wife really appreciated it, too.

I guess the people of the Netherlands, in 1985, brought a bunch of the veterans who had freed them over to their country for a 2-week, all expense paid vacation. That trip was the highlight of these two old people's lives; they sat there and told me which cemeteries they visited and what the Dutch had served them at their most memorable meals. Plus, the Dutch sent every veteran and his wife home with all sorts of gifts. That old guy said, "I don't believe they will ever forget us." I am so happy that he was able to experience that outpouring of gratitude and emotion.

Definitely. It ran through my mind all weekend. The kind of movie where it makes you want to go home and hug your kids. One thing that I think the actors pulled off well was their bond with each other, and I think that has been mentioned already. A few years ago at Lodge, there was a D-Day vet and a 32nd Div. PTO vet. I did an educational program about WWII as it was our June meeting, and the D-Day vet kind of had a hard time with it. He appreciates it, but this time something bothered him. Anyways, the PTO man (that cut a Japanese soldier in two with his BAR after the guy put a bullet through his earlobe) put his hand on John's shoulder, and just nodded. Nobody else noticed it, bond between combat men. If you weren't there, you just don't know when it all comes down to it. That was the first thing I thought of seeing characters' reactions when folks were hit (tried to make that as vague as possible to not spoil anything).

It must have been a honor to meet those men and it goes to show just like my grand father told me (an OSS vet who parachuted into Burma) there is a bond with all men that have been in combat that can never be broken.

-Dave