FURY

kammo-man

I might be responding one too many times for my own good on this thread but here it goes. :(

With respect, I find all this discussion of "movies need to make a profit" etc etc. beside the point. I think most if not all of us here understand that commercial undertakings are meant to make money. That said, I am not sure I see the point of mentioning that in a forum that is based on the discussion of WWII history? Ok, this movie is made for the general public not collectors/reenactors I get it - but I AM a reenactor/collector/historian -and so are all of you, and if we cannot talk about "Fury's" failings in terms of what is known about WWII tactics and operations on a WWII historical forum than where can we talk about it? Shouldn't we of all people hold depictions of WWII to a higher standard than the general public irrespective of whether it makes and difference or not in the larger picture? Why should I discard all my knowledge gained in 40 some odd years of WWII study to overlook errors that are, to me, as glaring as if the Germans had been wearing purple helmets? Even given an understanding as to why such errors were made or allowed or what have you they are still errors, no?

My criticisms are not, incidentally, aimed at discouraging anyone from seeing the movie - I encourage all to go see it by all means. Critique should not be taken to mean that we should "throw the baby out with the bathwater" so to speak - there are plenty of good (read: WWII realistic) scenes and details in the film to make it a must see for every WWII enthusiast. I will likely watch it several more times when it is on cable and likely purchase the DVD when it is released.

Andrei, thanks for posting the pics!

All, thanks for contributing to an interesting discussion.

Best regards!

Bill K.

The f******g Hammelburg raid, please !!!! SONY

For a while, there was a serious effort to make that very movie.

I'd been in on it. It went on and off for 3 years, then died when the money backed out for good.

I'm still ticked, I put a lot of time into it and still have the signed contracts, which mean nothing now...

Went to go see the movie today. I really liked it even with the Hollywood literary license. There were inaccuracies sure. The 1950's flat-top hats were pretty flagrant. My buddy noticed that the large tents were never used in WWII. The shooting of the prisoner was pushing it. Yeah I know that prisoners were shot by the US, but not like that. It made it look like Germans were shot all of the time when in fact they were more likely shot due to the combat situation. And of course, the idea of having a single tank take on a company of SS infantry like it did in the movie was pretty Hollywood considering that in reality, a Panzerfaust would have knocked it out within minutes.

I did like the details. You will note that the infantry accompanying the tanks wore the 30th Infantry Division patch. And sure enough, the maps that the company commander and Pitt were looking at were marked D/119 which was accurate to the division.

The action felt authentic. The special effects made the books I read over the years come alive and I really think the movie did a great job in showing just how much of a hell it must of been for tankers. A true tribute.

So add this one to the shelf with Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, A Bridge Too Far and the Great raid and even Red Tails. It was good.

-Ski

Ski

The caps all came from vintage productions and were 44 dated deadstock

O

They just looked out of place. I did look up the hat and it was worn in WWII, but I have never seen photos of guys wearing it in the war. Just my perception.

-Ski

Only complaint.....?.......through the first half of the movie especially.....the character's dialogue seems a bit too coarse to me....a few too many f-bombs, etc. Personally, I think it would have been better if they dialed that back a notch or two.

The use of the F-Bomb seems to be the curse of the current generation of movie makers. Apparently you have to drop it every 2 minutes to show that you are making a "serious" movie. That was about the frequency in "The Wolf of Wall Street", and after awhile it just grates on your nerves. A lot of the current comedies made for the 20 to 30 set seem to have the same problem. I think it is a Hollywood thing. No matter who you hang out with in the real world, I doubt you ever hear the F-bomb as much as you see it on screen.

Great photos Andrei, but for heaven's sake,why did they feel they had to paint the Movie logo on the side of the tank? Wasn't it enough to have it painted on the barrel of the main gun? The extra branding just seems to take away from the photo shoot, especially considering the lengths that were taken for authenticity in the film.

The use of the F-Bomb seems to be the curse of the current generation of movie makers. Apparently you have to drop it every 2 minutes to show that you are making a "serious" movie. That was about the frequency in "The Wolf of Wall Street", and after awhile it just grates on your nerves. A lot of the current comedies made for the 20 to 30 set seem to have the same problem. I think it is a Hollywood thing. No matter who you hang out with in the real world, I doubt you ever hear the F-bomb as much as you see it on screen.

Or unless you're in the Australian Army.

There's an old joke that goes "before my son joined the Army he could string two words together to make a sentence now he can string together five but three of them are F&*K"

Or unless you're in the Australian Army.

There's an old joke that goes "before my son joined the Army he could string two words together to make a sentence now he can string together five but three of them are F&*K"

Or the American Army, especially the combat arms.

doinworkinvans

I agree too much "F-bomb"

I agree too much "F-bomb"

Have you considered that the initial shock value is part of what they were after to get the audience's attention, and get them quickly involved and up to speed?

In a matter of minutes, they accomplished in the opening scenes, what took BoB an hour or more to work up to. I think if you look at it that way, it all of sudden becomes pretty masterful.

I heard a rumor from many WW2 vets own lips that all they did was curse all day long.

Nice pic of the 44 cap in used JW....

even looks like the FURY base camp.

Rob .......judging by the looks of things they are about to burn those crates.

CNY Militaria

I would say that the "coarse" language is consistent with what I witnessed in modern day combat between Soldiers. I too have heard that WWII Vets often spoke like that when "over there."

I heard a rumor from many WW2 vets own lips that all they did was curse all day long.

Yes, and there is that too....we must have talked with the same couple of guys, but I am sure my father never mentioned you....which would be really hard to imagine!

During the filming of BoB Dick Winters shunned Hanks & Spielberg because they used cursing too much especially the "F" word.

Winters claimed it was not a factual portrayal.

I myself do not know anything about the language used during WW2.

But what I do know is people who curse do it all the time and don't stop.

It is usually a sign of unresolved anger.

For them to stop usually takes a great spiritual awakening.

It doesn't stop because of the ending of an event or a geographical relocation.

on cussing:

When I interviewed the four 2nd Armored vets that came and spoke with the key cast members before the start of production, I specifically asked each of them individually what they recall using as 'cuss words'. One used very mild language - very straight-laced; another described using the routine,moderate stuff we would expect from that era - PG-13 to R rated stuff like 'SOB' etc; and the other two used what we today would consider a very modern, imaginative, and creative use of 'f-bomb'ing.

In researching this stuff for the 'making of' documentary: I found this quote from Ernie Pyle from 1944: "If I hear another f****** GI say "f******" once more, I'll cut my f****** throat!"

There is also a personal letter that Pyle wrote from the front to his editor back in NYC in which he described one harsh critic of his work as a "c***s*****"

Tried my best to keep this discussion 'family friendly'. But I hope I got the point across. If Ernie said it, then you know it's "WWII".

RL