FURY

kammo-man

Gentlemen....forgive the repetition, but I've also been asked to incorporate this material into the dedicated "Fury" thread. Thank you.

"As you know, the long-awaited movie "Fury" will soon be hitting the silver-screen. The central character "Wardaddy", as played by Brad Pitt can be seen in movie stills wearing some interesting combinations of headgear. So, I decided to replicate this by way of an "homage". (NB. The stills below are in the public domain and are copied from the internet solely for the purposes of illustrating this thread.) They illustrate very clearly what I'm talking about. Wardaddy is wearing a regular Tankers' helmet over which is placed an M1 shell, which was sometimes done as it offered additional ballistic protection. The most interesting feature is perhaps the non-standard goggles which are actually Soviet tankers' goggles and which Wardaddy presumably wears throughout the movie. I believe the back story is that these were "liberated" from an Ostruppen on the advance through Normandy. They are similar in concept to USAAF B7s but of slightly inferior quality. The shell is a front seam / swivel bail type. The tankers' helmet is fitted with R-14 receivers and communications are via a T-30 throat-mic."

post-8022-0-81064600-1413098039.jpg

post-8022-0-80213900-1413098041.jpg

The 1:1 sheet metal replica used for some scenes in the movie. This was part of a "Fury" display at this year's "War & Peace" show.

Attached Images
  • post-8022-0-21627600-1413030472.jpg

Johan Willaert

At this point I'd like to add some pictures I took when I visited the set in late October 2013... I was invited over by director David Ayer and taken around by Owen for most of the day... Not only did we get to see the filming of a scene which involved the entire main cast ( discussion whether or not to continue fighting from the disabled Fury with a Battalion of Germans approaching), but got the complete tour of Base Camp with a visit to costume, SFX, vehicle prop and other departments...

Experience of a lifetime, so THANK You David, Bob, Alex and especially Owen!!!!

The set being 'set' up...

post-92-0-14891800-1413108170.jpg