FURY

kammo-man

Are those the ones? What's the story behind them, do you know?

I really have no idea. I just read your comment and added the pics so people can see what you're referring to, on the basis that "a picture paints a thousand words....."

45HelmetGogglesResistal200x200.jpg46HelmetGogglesPolaroid1021.jpg47HelmetGogglesM-1944.jpg

Typical WW2 US tankers goggles, L to R...Resistals...Polaroid 1021s...M1944s ( the use of M1944s is hotly debated as they appear to be an early post-war item)

Owen, do you know why Brad was given a pair of Russian goggles?

Brad Pitt character should have picked them up in Normandy. From a dead german soldier or a dead ex-soviet troop serving in one of the several Wh Foreign Legions made up of soviet POW or volunteers.

It looks like M1944s to me

-Dave

That was my point. As I said in a previous post, the general consensus seems to be that these weren't issued to tankers until the occupation period.

the patch work on the tankers jackets looks well done

i have 3 orignals in my collection all with this similar patch repair work done on them

(i dont think they would of used german camo though to be honest)

3rd one not pictured has patch repairs on both elbows

note the oil stain on the back of the 1st pattern

also as a side note all the originals i have come across have green stitching

a trick most repro company's seem to miss

post-6335-0-01105000-1408375609.jpeg

post-6335-0-34983500-1408375634.jpeg

also as a side note all the originals i have come across have green stitching

a trick most repro company's seem to miss

'cept for us!!

The AAF had a goggle very similar to the M1944 ones and were used much earlier than the latter. On screen, you'd be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two...

The AAF had a goggle very similar to the M1944 ones and were used much earlier than the latter. On screen, you'd be very hard-pressed to tell the difference between the two...

The B8 goggles you refer to differ most noticeably from the '44s in that they have a flange across the bridge of the nose which seals the gap between the oxygen mask and the goggles. They were also chamois lined. See pic below.

B-8%20et%20M-1944.jpg

The B8 goggles you refer to differ most noticeably from the '44s in that they have a flange across the bridge of the nose which seals the gap between the oxygen mask and the goggles. They were also chamois lined. See pic below.

B-8%20et%20M-1944.jpg

Yes, I'm familiar with this, but it'd be tough to spot such details on a movie screen unless they're in close-up, especially the lining which is really tough to see unless you're wearing them...

Lets NOT forget.........

that the movie action takes place 4 weeks before the end of the war in the ETO.

the supply line was working.

To say 100% that a pair of goggles did not get issued till one day after the war is not grounded in reality.

Just adding to the discussion here. Somewhere in the forum's archives is a thread about M1944s in the course of which the timing of their issue and use by tank crews was debated. If I recall rightly, the "nearest" photographic evidence to their WW2 use which could be found showed a tank crew in Austria, post-hostilities. If someone can produce a verified WW2 Signal Corp pic of them in use by a combat crew and post it here then that would lay it to rest.

Whilst doing a little digging on the net I found an article about US tankers and lifted this quote.

"T/O&Es in November 1944 were calling for the standard use of the M-1944 goggle and these goggles came into use by ground forces in late 1944/early 1945. However, photos of 752nd tankers do not show this goggle in use until the post-war period."

A couple of pics of B-8's in use from September 1944.

This one is from the 10th of Sept.:

post-353-0-57230800-1408526082.jpg

And this one is the 745th Tank Battalion at the beginning of September (2 sets here, plus Polaroids on the driver):

post-353-0-67719400-1408526227.jpg

A few I've spotted in an non-thorough look for them.

Cheers,

Glen.

Oh, and I'd put money on the only tanks that were shipped into theatre supplied with M1944 googles in the accompanying equipment were the M26 Pershings and the M4A3E8's, both of which the 2nd Armd received before the war's end of course.

Cheers,

Glen.