FURY

kammo-man

audacia cum prudentia

I will say that I spent a bit of time talking to Shia La Beouf on the set and he - along with the other main actors, were pretty friendly and down to earth and not "up" themselves in the slightest. They in fact began talking to me and not the other way around, Mr La Beouf was quite amused when I had no clue who he was in fact !

Not what I expected at all and we all parted with handshakes and "hope to see you in December ".

audacia cum prudentia

The other thing is I think you can only critique something when it is completed, not before and I am impressed by the interest in a WW2 production that people seem to have. If it gets us another 200 participants in 2nd Armored trips I'll be more than happy TBH

www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk

It seems you 2nd Armoured in Europe boys can't decide amongst yourselves - some are saying its the best thing since sliced bread and others are complaining about the uniform accuracy.

Are you all getting a back hander for drumming up free publicity.

RULE 2.2 - Fighting

Not everything is black and white, so disagreements happen. In fact, here at USMF disagreements and discussions regarding these disagreements are encouraged. Some of the most valuable information can be gained in threads where various members disagree about a point and post information supporting their point of view. However, members who disagree and, in an effort to support their point of view, turn to personal attacks or other inappropriate behavior run the risk of being temporarily suspended or even banned.

Can we not discuss the film rather than post suggestive comments to support supposition?

audacia cum prudentia

No back hander's whatsoever, I think the very concept of a mere living history groups' opinion and influence on publicity amongst the film viewers of the entire globe is a tad risible, and ergo I wouldn't say that any publicity has been drummed up, nor was there any intend to drum any up, let alone it being so valuable that brown envelopes stuffed with used notes are being passed to us on set as a reward for said fictional publicity. Max Clifford we aren't, more Max Wall probably.

The last thing I would also personally want is for people to agree with me, because they feel they should. Not only do I welcome contrary opinions, often they are the most valuable and teach you the greatest lessons.

Good bad or indifferent, I'm just happy that someone wants to make WWII movies, and a Tank movie at that! 70 years later and the war is still important and dramatic enough to make a full on hollywood movie. Many of us, who weren't even alive during the war, grew up on WWII movies being our only reference to the period. Some were great (Battleground) some were good (Kelly's heroes) and some were just ugly (Battle of the Bulge) but they made me interested enough to really seek the true story. I can't wait for this flick to hit the theaters, and also "monuments men" coming this fall, not because I think they'll be perfect, but because they are there.

Tom Bowers

I cannot wait for this movie to hit the Big screen. I will overlook all the transgressions taken with uniforms, helmet rivets, disguised vehicles and 49 year old guys playing 29 year old guys. As long as they do not pull out a H+R Topper single shot shotgun made in 1987...I can handle it.

If you go to youtube and do a search on Fury, you can see a short video shot from an airplane of the German village set. Nothing earth shattering, but it is kind of interesting to see how the sets look from a few hundred feet in the air!

Just as a little light side bar, all this talk of FURY, made my mind wander around the word FURY and where I heard it connected with someting involving the Army, then I remembered.

Sergeant Fury and his Howling Commandos :lol:

post-34986-0-49199700-1381527927.jpg

Anybody remember this comic book back in the days of old, I do, used to get it along with the other one's Sgt Rock et al :D

audacia cum prudentia

My tank is haunted, it seems to have a poltergeist living in it, as every time I get in it, the contents of my wallet mysteriously vanish

My tank is haunted, it seems to have a poltergeist living in it, as every time I get in it, the contents of my wallet mysteriously vanish

Yes and somehow it exists in two countries at once! might be like "the Philadelphia Experiment"

Here is a 5 cell pouch in Italy.

Also weren't M44 goggles in use in Europe by April 1945 when the movie happens? Armored crews had them. Not sure what the firestorm is.

post-13146-0-49979000-1381602934.jpg

Hello everyone as all my fellow 2nd armored in Europe buddies will know I choose not to join or post on forums as I think they can get to political.That said I felt the need to join and make a comment on this thread.Apart from the tank boys I am the last 2AIE member playing a role in the film at this point I miss all you guys who left after the first week of filming especially you Jonno lol.This has been a great experience for me.Everyone has reservations about accuracy to many of this,that's wrong etc,etc I have had the privilege of seeing some of the pics not released and I have to say they look really good.If you look at the whole thing with the naked eye you won't get what the camera see's .I helped run the boot camp for the U.S infantry,set dressed on a couple of scenes,and dressed vehicles working for the props department(I am moving over to props to join Glen M as from Wednesday for the duration of the film minus a couple of days for some more filming) the crew are aware myself and Glen are on set and can provide advice when requested.As already mentioned Robs work is 2nd to none and the props team are flat out.

One thing that I witnessed that I think speaks volumes about the Actors and Director crew etc was something I saw with my own eyes this week.A WW2 tank veteran was a guest on set and whilst he was there he was deservedly treated like a superstar they couldn't do enough for him for me that was a pleasure to see.

Oh lord there goes the neighbourhood....:-) welcome mark....hows it going.

That Ranger picture shows AAF B-8s not M44s...im sure and in references there are only a handful of actual M44 goggle pictures known...one shows an M5A1 tank crew in Italy crossing the Po River and another set are seen on a M24 Chaffee crew in Czech republic in May 1945

So certainly used but not common by April 1945

Regards

Lloyd

That Ranger picture shows AAF B-8s not M44s...im sure and in references there are only a handful of actual M44 goggle pictures known...one shows an M5A1 tank crew in Italy crossing the Po River and another set are seen on a M24 Chaffee crew in Czech republic in May 1945

Regards

Lloyd

Lloyd, thank you for the specifics. I posted the image to show the 5 cell TSMG pouch in use. I am trying to locate another image I have seen of the 5 cell in use by "regular infantry" in a 9th Army unit.

Do you know the unit number of the Chaffee crew? The goggles were in the system by the Spring of '45. When one starts looking, it seems these things crop up more and more.

audacia cum prudentia

The Chaffee Crew with the M44 goggles in Plzen are from the 102nd Cavalry Lloydy, and it was actually taken during the June 1945 Victory Parade through the town.

Everything develops a life of it's own and expediency has to take over, I look back at some of our early efforts on www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk events and cringe more than a little at the glaring errors in kit and equipment.

So said I was impressed with FURY where they stopped one take because they decided the pigtails on the R14 earphones they had made were too long and cut them all down there and then and divide $ 70 million by 100 days and work out how much each day's filming must cost and the implications involved in shouting " CUT, that bit of kit is wrong ".

If you read Ken Lewis's post about filming elsewhere on here it sums much of it up quite eloquently. That said, when the film is released, I will tell you the tale of the costume girl and B.P.'s reply to her.

The Chaffee Crew with the M44 goggles in Plzen are from the 102nd Cavalry Lloydy, and it was actually taken during the June 1945 Victory Parade through the town.

Everything develops a life of it's own and expediency has to take over, I look back at some of our early efforts on www.2ndarmoredineurope.co.uk events and cringe more than a little at the glaring errors in kit and equipment.

So said I was impressed with FURY where they stopped one take because they decided the pigtails on the R14 earphones they had made were too long and cut them all down there and then and divide $ 70 million by 100 days and work out how much each day's filming must cost and the implications involved in shouting " CUT, that bit of kit is wrong ".

If you read Ken Lewis's post about filming elsewhere on here it sums much of it up quite eloquently. That said, when the film is released, I will tell you the tale of the costume girl and B.P.'s reply to her.

Thanks S/Sgt....i was kind of erring on 102nd Cav.... and SS/STS the inference is not so much on the wearing of the 5 x 20rd pouches...its the wearing of them round the neck hung on a german bread bag strap...now granted it could of happened by one enterprising GI ...but certainly not a common occurance.

I too have seen a very late war picture of the 5 x 20 round pouch being worn by a 69th Infantry GI in Leipzig and an 87th GI In Saalfeld VERY late on so they were around late on.

Guys its gonna be a great film whatever its just us detail "anoraks" that want it spot on...and i am glad to be a part of it.

regards

Lloyd

STS/SS, it's not that the 5x20rnd Mag Pouches weren't used, Fingers was referring to the unusual method of wear of it by one person during the film, of which I'll say no more.

As Mark says, currently him and myself are still on set, flitting between Props/Sec Dec and Core Group Crowd (extras), and should anyone from the powers-that-be on set wish to discuss anything re contextual accuracy, we're there for them, should they wish to. ;)

And as Mark also said, it was nice to see the Veteran on set and being feted the way he was. Well done to the production team for organising that.

Cheers,

Glen.

[ps - Owen, in case you read this and I don't get a chance to catch up with you in the next couple of days, I've checked through my archives by the way now you gave me that "Koblenz" prompt on the wool anti-gas hoods, and it's the 87th Inf Div in Koblenz in mid-March 1945. The amount of these hoods seem to be a unit-quirk to these guys, much like the abundance of HBT trousers in the 83rd Inf Div, through Normandy to the Bulge and into 1945. But now at least I see where you've got that one from.]

Speaking of the 83rd -- Here's a soldier during the bulge with a gas hood. There are a couple more photos kicking around with gas hoods that put them in another division besides the 87th and the 83rd. Understood on the unusual wear.

When you study the late war signal corps footage, the uniformity is out the window, with incredible diversity in kit, wear styles and modified uniforms. I have seen a picture of a US GI wearing German officer boots cut down, split down the front and laced. Perhaps that would be a bridge too far in a film, but it happened.

STS/SS, it's not that the 5x20rnd Mag Pouches weren't used, Fingers was referring to the unusual method of wear of it by one person during the film, of which I'll say no more.

As Mark says, currently him and myself are still on set, flitting between Props/Sec Dec and Core Group Crowd (extras), and should anyone from the powers-that-be on set wish to discuss anything re contextual accuracy, we're there for them, should they wish to. ;)

And as Mark also said, it was nice to see the Veteran on set and being feted the way he was. Well done to the production team for organising that.

Cheers,

Glen.

[ps - Owen, in case you read this and I don't get a chance to catch up with you in the next couple of days, I've checked through my archives by the way now you gave me that "Koblenz" prompt on the wool anti-gas hoods, and it's the 87th Inf Div in Koblenz in mid-March 1945. The amount of these hoods seem to be a unit-quirk to these guys, much like the abundance of HBT trousers in the 83rd Inf Div, through Normandy to the Bulge and into 1945. But now at least I see where you've got that one from.]

post-13146-0-16159400-1381663532.jpg

Again, there's nothing wrong with Wool Anti-Gas Hoods (especially in the Bulge), but as with eveything there's a quantity, timeframe and unit-specific context to take into account.

There's some great pics of GI's from one unit in the pre-Bulge Diekirch area with "extended" Service Shoes, taking them to the height of Jump Boots or to the cut-down Cavalry Boots, but they're neither of them, nor are they from the unit(s) being portrayed in the April-1945 film, so using such boots would be out of context.

But anyway, we digress from the film itself. And most of the items that may be "one-offs" or slightly out-of-context will probably be lost in the mist of the scenes in the film.

I just hope some of the excellent props will be picked up by the camera, both Rob's ones and other props that the Props/Set Dec's have sourced or created. Will be such a shame if they're not noticeable.

Cheers,

Glen.

Regards

Lloyd

they are neither B-8's nor M44 goggles, those are the All Purpose sponge rubber 1021 goggles.