FURY

kammo-man

Sheesh...I've seen THREE (3) documentaries covering the military event I was personally involved in and, for which I had to provide testimony regarding my actions (participation)...all three of the docu's were grossly inaccurate in the "facts" they presented. 

When (NOT IF) I see this film, it will be for the purpose of enjoyment rather than picking apart. Lord knows that there has yet to be made a WWII surface Navy film that has any modicum of accuracy...but that never takes away from their entertainment value.

Your right Rally, you know what Navy movie I would love to see? a real accurate well done Docudrama one on the Battles off the Canal in the fall of 42, Juneau and all (but NOT, Repeate NOT focusing strickly on the Juneau/Sullivan Brothers, portraying them as a part of the overall yes).

I couldn't agree more! Jim Hornfischer's book, "Neptune's Inferno" would be a fantastic launchpoint for a storyline.

but... you mean BATTLESHIP is not an accurate Navy picture?

My faith in Hollywood is ruined.....

(well, at least they got the aliens spot on).

but... you mean BATTLESHIP is not an accurate Navy picture?

My faith in Hollywood is ruined.....

(well, at least they got the aliens spot on).

They got the "pegs" ("G-4"..."hit!) right.

I can completely see the validity of some of the observations made about the accuracy but it must be held in context of a film of this caliber. One must remember that when you're spending tens of millions of dollars of someone ELSE'S money backing YOUR artistry you will do whatevery it takes to get your creative talent and art developed to whatever ends and make sure your investors get their money's worth. Otherwise you'll never get that studio's professional capital ever again. Clint Eastwood once said (And he is no stranger to western films and historical accuracy) that accuracy is completely meaningless if the quality of the acting, creativity and artmaking of film is second rate.

This is film, not a reenactment, not a documentary. What you see on the screen is completely the producers' and director's vision. Having said that there is a lot of high caliber talent and technicality going into it and I am confident it will be a block buster even for the WWII buffs!

A very sensible and measured response Juan i commend you.....

i think the nub of this argument is what you as an individual perceive the fim to be.

I will still go and watch it thats for 100% certain.

regards

Lloyd

I can completely see the validity of some of the observations made about the accuracy but it must be held in context of a film of this caliber. One must remember that when you're spending tens of millions of dollars of someone ELSE'S money backing YOUR artistry you will do whatevery it takes to get your creative talent and art developed to whatever ends and make sure your investors get their money's worth. Otherwise you'll never get that studio's professional capital ever again. Clint Eastwood once said (And he is no stranger to western films and historical accuracy) that accuracy is completely meaningless if the quality of the acting, creativity and artmaking of film is second rate.

This is film, not a reenactment, not a documentary. What you see on the screen is completely the producers' and director's vision. Having said that there is a lot of high caliber talent and technicality going into it and I am confident it will be a block buster even for the WWII buffs!

and it will be marketed and sold to the world as"how it really was" and "100%" accurate and " straight from the veterans mouths" and we will know thats not the case,could easily have been yet it was more important to jazz it up for the production teams own finacial and egotistical motives.

a good story dont need jazzing up - try shakespeare!!!!!!!!!!!!

kidnapcp

Yes there are actually! Plenty of them. Take that thought process out of the discussion because that's not what this is film all about. Just sit back and enjoy the fireworks! This film will make film history I can assure you.

Making film history, why? By having the first real Tiger on screen? And Im not talking about the orange and black striped ones.

If your arguing the case for not worrying about the authenticity of uniforms then what's wrong with a Tiger mock up?

Oh man my hair is on fire.

It is a movie and as someone mentioned above it is entertainment and I am sure it will fill both of those bills just fine. IMHO

doinworkinvans

Wow - just sit back and relax everyone. Just enjoy the movie. Does it have to picked apart? It's Brad Pitt and 2013 for crying out loud, it's all gonna be OK whether it's spot on or not! Just enjoy the movie and the fact that they are bringing light to the greatest generation. The sun will come up the day after the movie comes out...and if it doesn't, then we aint got nothing to worry about! B)

Great to meet all the members on set who post here !!!!

As you who were THERE .......and witnessed the grand scale of the first week ...you know the epic scale of what was and has been done.

Anyone care to attempt to list all the US and German vehicles that were present ?

owen

Girls girls girls...you're ALL pretty...now take the advice from those who were there and just be patient! I remember some of the early press for BoB wasn't positive, but that turned out all right didn't it?

It's the never ending curse of the 'rivet counter'. I've been guilty of it many times in the past. I learned my lesson with "Redtails" I was watching it with my little guy who likes Mustangs. And he loved it as much as I loved movies like "Flying Tigers" or "Battle of Britain". If you wanted to be picky, you could go to town on every movie ever made. When he gets old enough to want to know more, the books are on the shelf, the flying gear is in the closet or on the shelf and I'll do what it's my job to do, and that's teach him the history.

For us invested in WW2 history, we often make the mistake of thinking this is going to teach history to our kids, or that somehow it will ruin things. I don't know about the rest of you, but all those old movies I watched as a kid did nothing of the sort. They got me to look further into the history. They got me interested. Should we discuss all the inaccuracies in every John Wayne war movie ever made? I think we could go a lot further on those then we can on this one :)

Heaven forbid this movie gets some kid to open a book about WW2 history. It isn't being made for us. It's being made to entertain the masses. Relax and let it do what it's meant to do, and enjoy it for what it is...a movie that happens to be based in WW2.

And if the opportunity arises because someone saw the movie and has a question, answer it and point them towards where they can learn more, whether it be books, museums, documentaries or whatever.

99.9 percent of the folks who will see this movie, aren't going to be paying attention to the details. That these folks are going as far as they are to try and get it right, is a concession to the rivet counters. Be thankful they are doing it at all.

Heaven forbid this movie gets some kid to open a book about WW2 history. It isn't being made for us. It's being made to entertain the masses. Relax and let it do what it's meant to do, and enjoy it for what it is...a movie that happens to be based in WW2.

99.9 percent of the folks who will see this movie, aren't going to be paying attention to the details. That these folks are going as far as they are to try and get it right, is a concession to the rivet counters. Be thankful they are doing it at all.

38Driver,

Excellent response! I agree 100% with everything you said.

...Kat

I'm hoping to take a drive down there myself in the not too distant future. Rural Oxfordshire is beautiful at this time of year!

With an 18 certificate I dont think many kids will be going to see this when its released.

And it isnt just counting rivets, its massive, ridiculous mistakes.

As with Farby re-enactors they always go over the top, less is more.

And Owen, what was that awful jeep conversion? Sounded like a diesel and looked plain wrong and I know little about vehicles.

Also many of the older war films didnt have the opportunity or means to get the correct vehicles and kit. Now they have no excuse.

The whole set just reminded me of Beltring when it rains.

So you wont be going to see it in the theater I take it?

The point is still the same. It's a movie made to make money, not appease a small group of rivet counters. You can twist yourself in knots over perceived injustices with any part of it, or you enjoy it for what it is.

It's not a documentary, or history other than being a story based in a WW2 setting.

Sometimes you just need to be able to let it go.

"Rivet counting" is not just confined to military movies. The BBC, renowned for its historic drama output with high production values, was recently criticised by some "stitch counters" who noticed, for example, that some of the period costumes had discreet zippers and/or velcro closures and that some of the footwear had patterned, moulded soles. The same kind of people look for con-trails in the sky or some other feature in the landscape deemed not to be "period appropriate", rather than actually watching the film itself.

Ironically, when uniform items are criticized for being "inaccurate"...or whatever...they are actually just criticizing replicas anyway. Not since the immediate WW2 period when there were mountains of original surplus clothing available to the movie producers have war movie costumes been approaching anything like 100% accuracy. I recall a thread which ran on here a couple of years ago which featured "M42 jumpsuits" as used in the 1945 movie "Objective Burma". They were, in fact, costumes made for the movie....even back then!

HolyHappiness

I've been trying to keep my distance and only follow this thread without commenting (I've been a member for quite awhile but have a relatively low comment count because I only comment when I really feel I should). I've found that I can't stay away any more and must voice myself as both a collector and a filmmaker. Some of the "purists" here, and this has been stated time and time again on this very thread, forget this is a movie. This movie happens to have a budget and it also happens to be 2013 (75 years AFTER the events of the film). At any rate those who expect accuracy at the finest degree are the same people that probably publicly complain when someone puts too much syrup on their pancakes. It's almost funny that people get so riled up about movies. It's as if they are taking personal insult to the fact that the producer/director/costume designer chose to m44 goggles instead of the "proper" tanker goggles. *slaps head*

Anyways on to my point... IT'S A MOVIE! If they make it, you'll find something to complain about. If they don't, you'll complain about why they aren't making any movies about X subject. The simplest way I can put this is that film is an art. Did Picasso care that all of his paintings looked like deformed anomalies from Mars? NO! I'm sure professors of anatomy could point out several mistakes or inaccuracies. But it came down to the fact that it was his vision and he chose to do it HIS way. The same can be said about Rembrandt, Reubens, Mozart, Bernelli, and Speilberg. All these men made something based on their vision, not yours. Even if it is %100 incorrect, it was someone's vision and if you don't like it, whoopty-freakin-doo! This is one of the reasons I myself am a filmmaker, I want to portray MY vision on things. With that being said, if you are so fed up with Hollywood not doing it your way, even if it's "correct", go make your own movie and show us how it's done. Besides if you hate it, that doesn't mean we all have to hate it based on X inaccuracy(ies). It's the same principle of art, if you don't like it, don't buy it. But never force your taste on others, especially Especially ESPECIALLY before the painting is even finished.

my two, and a half, cents

Nathan

Its got nothing to do with money or a budget as its probably costing MORE with the mis-guide uniforms and the time its taken to literally stitch German camo onto US uniforms. Figure that one out?

The problem didnt begun with the directors vision and Im still sure it will be a great looking movie with excellent cinematography but more one mans idiotic ideas of what US GIs looked like during April 45. I cant understand why you'd go to more effort to make something wrong, when something could be so easily corrected and more cost effective. Its like all poor re-enacts who buy pistols when theyre not needed. Save your cash.

I dont like syrup....