Help with ID on 2 packs

NapeSticksToKids

NapeSticksToKids

The first pack was my grandfather's in WWII. he was a turret gunner on the Avenger torpedo bomber. Doing some googling the closest i've found is the M1945 field pack, but the one i have has a blue pleather shoulder strap that is copper riveted through the eyelets, and it doesnt seem to have as many straps. it has the rubberized flap interior but no other markings inside.

95568C94-BF8C-422B-B2E7-1F69834A0E43-288

F20BAAA3-1914-4125-8D1B-8527042948EC-288

78BC316F-FB89-4A9C-B999-7E9C3877001D-288

3D652898-615B-48DE-A32D-D07B2B01A2D4-288

the second is a pack i found at a flea market. reading about eastpak's history all i found was that they did at some time do some packs for the military. i think this might just be an old civilian bag made by them but i figured i'd ask to see if someone can give me better information.

877D6D36-8773-4E7E-A6F8-1130CFBF26A6-288

A3050477-A6E7-4ABE-88DF-7950370D25D7-288

420FBABC-746C-43EA-B8DF-75D4B4A4AFFF-288

craig_pickrall

The first pack you show is the lower part of the M1944 Pack System.

I concur, there is evidence of the Marines using this type of lower, and an upper very similar to the Army 44.

The pack being a Boyt makes me believe it was a USMC variant.

craig_pickrall

This is the first I have ever heard of the USMC using the Army M1944 pack or any part of it. Can you post the reference you are using for that info?

NapeSticksToKids

He was navy so I would've put my money on USMC gear vs Army.

I just haven't found at this time any other photographic evidence of the shoulder strap. I think it might have been a add on by my grandfather perhaps, but the rivets look pretty nice as if they were factory attached. Part of me wants to cut it off so I can use a longer shoulder strap and part of me wants to leave it alone.

NapeSticksToKids

After looking at the m1944 packs, I decided to look at mine closer. When I lifted the rubber liner out I saw that the additional straps seen on the other 44s were removed. You can't tell from the outside but you can see stitching on the inside. Mystery solved on that one!

NapeSticksToKids

And since it looks like a standard one I am assuming the shoulder strap was added later.

I concur, there is evidence of the Marines using this type of lower, and an upper very similar to the Army 44.

The pack being a Boyt makes me believe it was a USMC variant.

What your seeing has to be the USMC M1941 pack system with Haversack/Knapsack combo. If there is by chance undisputable evidence of this M-1944 or 45 lower being used by USMC personnel it would probably be Okinawa if WWII I suppose Korean War could be this evidence.

Labeling this a USMC variant by simply a manufacturer is reaching to put it politely. Boyt made products for the US Army Signal Corps, Ordnance Corps and Quartermaster and Navy Bureau or Ordnance and of course USMC. Only about 10% or less of their contracts were for the USMC