Good Antique Shops in Gettysburg?

freakjeep73

freakjeep73

I am going to Gettysburg for the big 150 with $320. I am wondering if any of you guys know a very reputable dealer there, because I'm going in essentially blind. Also, if there are any places to avoid don't hesitate to tell me. Specifically (and yeah, this is probably a long shot) i'm looking for cloth items or uniform-related items for my upcoming museum display of "Uniforms of the Romantic Era." All help is appreciated! -Tyler

There are several good shops around the town square. I don't know the names of any of them but if you just go to the square you should be able to see three or four antique shops. I've found surprisingly good deals there for such a major tourist spot.

freakjeep73

I know the proprietor of the Gettysburg Museum of History and I know he sells things from old displays, anybody know what their priced are like? I can't quite remember :Z

firefighter

The Horse Soldier usually has cool stuff but its expensive.....be prepared...!

True dat! As VMI88 stated, lots of cool shops in the town square.Lots of glass cases to look thru.I've gotten some very nice items from that area.There is, or was, a really nice military museum off the beaten path.I cant not remember the name of it.Ask around its worth the trip.The owner is a Korean War vet.

The Union Drummer Boy on Baltimore Street is nice - they have a killer "war log" on display there.

To be honest, I would stay away from the dealers there. They are overpriced. You can find reputable dealers elsewhere (Dave Taylor in Ohio for example), and pay 30% less than the tourist town shops for the same items. The only time I buy from the tourist town guys is when there is something that I cannot find elsewhere.

TreasureHunter

Is the tree still there full of shot inside one of the stores? It was so fun being stationed on USS Gettysburg CG 64, we had relics in the ward room and on the quarterdeck. Made the trip to Baltimore and our Commanding Officer made every crew member go to the Gettysburg battlefield. Also showed the movie over and over on the ship on the way there. Was amazing to see all the things in the movie in real life. They really loved seeing us, free admission and picnics all over for us. I do remember some good stores around the square. "Deeds not Words"

Bill

SCF-Collector

I believe the war-log or tree you mention is still there on display in the Union Drummer Boy shop on York (they moved recently). At least I think I saw it there last weekend when I was there.

TreasureHunter

Thats one of the most interesting things I have seen, just a great example of how intense the fighting was. Hope to make it back sometime.

Yes, the "war-log" is still on display. When you see it up close, you can see everything from bullets, solid shot, canister, and shrapnel. These logs are extremely rare, and when nice ones come up for sale they typically bring $35,000+. The one in their shop is from the Gettysburg battlefield, and if memory serves me right - it came from the Reynolds Woods area.

As I said before - the tourist town shops have some VERY nice artifacts for sale, and the inventory looks like a museum. Unfortunately, these items are often priced much higher than the other dealers from around the country - who are just as reputable. Why pay a premium just because the shop is in Gettysburg?

Here is a picture of the war log that they have on display. If it was to ever be sold, it would command a price commensurate to that of a sports car. Their website is also listed for reference.

http://uniondb.com/

post-2801-0-63830800-1372899064.jpg

It really is! I spent a week there, and there were still things that I didn't see. I'd love to own one of the battlefield homes - that has to be fun!

freakjeep73

Going hunting tomorrow, i'll be sure to visit the drummer boy to see that war log and i'll tell you guys what treasures i get!

TreasureHunter

It really is! I spent a week there, and there were still things that I didn't see. I'd love to own one of the battlefield homes - that has to be fun!

My metal detector would burn the batteries so fast!!

freakjeep73

So I have surprising news, on my way to Gettysburg from York, we stopped in a tiny town called New Oxford. This.Place.Is.Amazing! There are about 10 or more antique shops and some of those shops have about 60 dealers each. I bought 4 sales ledgers from the Civil war for $20 and another ledger from 1817 for $2. I also found an 1886 Louisiana Baby Bond for $15. That was at America's past antiques, and Cary, the owner, gave me a tour of his house and showed me a prized "possession," a soldier is buried in his back yard and he tends to the grave. I also purchased a Confederate $50 Bill in "fair" conditon for $40 and the bill was checked out as %100 authentic. I bought some colonial buttons and Cary gave me some Civil War Union buttons for free among other things. Seriously, if you're ever near Gettysburg, drive just a few miles away to visit New Oxford. The elderly couple owners of the 1790's Kuhn Tavern are very friendly and can point out anything you want to see and the food in town in amazing. Sorry for the rant, this town was just amazing!

TreasureHunter

Awesome info, I am in Maryland a few times a year near DC, will for sure go these places. Great items you got also and memorable experience to go with. Nothing beats that.

Regards,

Bill

tsgalloway

Sounds like fun. I was just in Gettysburg and made a few purchases from The Horse Soldier and UDB. Both shops have some items that are over-priced, but they also have very fair prices mixed into the bunch. Going into those shops is sensory overload for me...

• 1 year later...

There are a lot of great little towns in the area.Stayed at Hanover one year.just down the road the other direction was Carlisle. Just 22 miles and couldn't get my buddy to check it out.Hwy 30 has several stops and even the Battlefield Harley Davidson shop was nice but not the mi st friendly shop I've been in.

If I was able I would live in the area.Really great country side in Pennsylvania.

hen I was a kid growing up in MD, I went to Gettysburg very often. (I just checked the posting date, so this might be to late). Anyway there was a shop on Rte. 15? Called the "THE BATTLEFIELD MUSEUM". Don't know if it is still there but it was really neat and reasonably inexpensive. Dave