BA-22 or BA-25 Parachute from NFAFB

wallaceand

BlueBookGuy

btw,

in post #11 is a decent image of the orange(or red) knob, but the zero-delay lanyard on your BA-18 clearly shows why the reel container itself is forced to go away as well (and the same is true for the knob type, the zero lanyard is tightly tied around its "neck" - so, hook cannot do its work unless the red plastic box itself will fly away, pulling the hook in the process.

** Most certainly your BA-18 doesn't, but in more recent specimens the cloverleaf handle sports a "ring" if we can call this way, at a certain point of handle its diameter widens up like there is a bulge in the metal. This is to prevent the snaphook from going too much up along the handle, wich could be dangerous for the pull trajectory (some chances of a too "slant" pull by the hook in respect to a ideal axis).

BlueBookGuy

Hi 'fixer,

one reason at least does exist. Originally two fitting were supposed to be very quickly opened for the canopy to go away, and so the airman not be dragged on the ground.

However a nylon canopy was always valuable for many a survival situations, so they went to compromise: by releasing the only attachment point present at left, the canopy inflated much less with air and airman was less at risk. Still it was connected to the man, so he could pretty well have kept aside (momentarily packed at his best) and have it available and handy for whatever emergency situation would come out.

Subsequently again, other thoughts prevailed and and two Capewells fittings (this time with a different shape and modifications to inside parts) came back on the -18/ -22 / -25 series of the "BA" family.

BlueBookGuy

do not know what the reason for returning back to the double Capewells.. I still have to find a reliable source about what year was introduced the BA-18 model.

The oldest of my two specimens is dated 1963 - even guessing the BA-18 came out before, it couldn't be much before. Out there you can find a lot pics dated 1960 or 1961 where the old model is widely utilized, so i figured out year 1962 could (maybe) taken as a decent date for introduction of the BA-18.

If taking my specimen (being so much early) as a valid instance, we can state -18's very first type of ripcord handle was the "blast" pattern. Only afterward the "cloverleaf" type (already present on all the older BA-15s) came back again, we can still see it today on the latest subvariant - the BA-25.

• 1 year later...

Found this today at a local surplus shop...is it a BA-15? or earlier? dated 1959, all parts, harness/container, risers and C9 canopy,,,log book is from Otis AFB last entry is 1963..

post-155518-0-61732500-1482873416.jpg

post-155518-0-34457300-1482873426_thumb.jpg

C9 canopy...the rig is missing most of the small parts...t handle, o2 bottle etc, not packed, but not demilled either...all straps and buckles are present and unmolested...have to visit the LS shop and see if they are willing to repack it for me...yet again...they love these old things...

post-155518-0-48024500-1482873893_thumb.jpg