Round mermite can

DW45ID

I have a round '42 dated mermite can and two of the inserts. Did these cans use three pie shaped containers in place of one of the inserts? Does anyone have some pictures of these? Any info is appreciated.

Manchu Warrior
Post a picture. I am not sure what mermite is.

Steve

A mermite is the device that carries green eggs and ham.

Yes, the one I have has 3 pans.The pans are US marked and dated.They look like a round cake pan with a flat lid.You will find a photo of it in the GI Collectors guide by Henry Enjames.Also Advanced Guard Militaria had one in a previous catalog.I put in a request for it when the catalog opened but it went quick.

RON

The first two photo's are what I was wondering about. Those pics are from the Ebay auction I was watching. Did you buy them or were you selling or just watching like I was. Now that I know what they look like I'll keep looking. Do these 3 inserts take the place if one of the round pans? I have two pans and looking for one more.

The first two photo's are what I was wondering about. Those pics are from the Ebay auction I was watching. Did you buy them or were you selling or just watching like I was. Now that I know what they look like I'll keep looking. Do these 3 inserts take the place if one of the round pans? I have two pans and looking for one more.

DW45ID, like you I was watching the 3 inserts, but they started to really jump up in price. disgust.gif

The m1942 mermite will hold 3 of the pan style inserts or obviously 3 of the verticle style of inserts.

Most all of the round style of inserts I have seen are dated 42 so my guess is that the verticle style of inserts came out just before the m1944 mermite became available.

A friend of mine was needing one more pan also, I actually just found one on ebay for him. It was listed as a case for projector film. He scored it for 9.99. w00t.gif

I have one insert that is twice as tall as the more common 4" tall type. It's dated 1941 on the lid.

MVC_026S.JPG

And just for fun, here's three of the smaller inserts, all made by the same company, yet dated 1942, 1943, and 1944.

MVC_029S.JPG

Nice collection there Robin...FYI these Mermite cans were also used by the Medical Corps for transporting human blood .

They made very good Blood Banks....

I have a 42 dated Mermite with only one of the smaller cans in.....

regards

Lloyd

• 3 years later...

UPNATM, I was trying to see the pictures of the different inserts for the round mermite cans, can you repost them?

Thanks

UPNATM, I was trying to see the pictures of the different inserts for the round mermite cans, can you repost them?

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have the pics anymore. I thought I had saved them to my Photobucket, but I can't find them. I can tell you that they were real similar to the m44 mermite style insert, only they were each pie shaped creating a circle once slid inside the mermite.

Sorry, I don't have the pics anymore. I thought I had saved them to my Photobucket, but I can't find them. I can tell you that they were real similar to the m44 mermite style insert, only they were each pie shaped creating a circle once slid inside the mermite.

Thanks for the reply. Did they have the locking clamps for the lids like on the M41's?

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have the pics anymore. I thought I had saved them to my Photobucket, but I can't find them.

Well, I finally found them, so I thought I would go ahead and repost them for future reference.

Here ya go...

mermite1.jpg

1_002a3b88749863ac61b96c772c858a38.jpg

mermite4.jpg

Funny, I looked for years before I found this mermite,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...&hl=mermite

and well today I stumbled upon another one at an antique store, and couldn't pass it up. But, I have a question for all you guys who own a mermite. The one I picked up today does not have a porcelain covered lid like my other one does, and it also is not maker marked or dated on the lid like my other one either. So my question is do the non porcelain mermites have the maker marks, and dates located somewhere else.

I went through every mermite topic on the forum and couldn't find any info. Also, this thread seemed like the best spot for this question.

Thanks for your help.