Technical Observer Wing

Scott C.

Hello all. I'm a new guy to the site, but have been a wing collector for a while. I know TO wings are scarce and often faked. I searched the forum for references to this wing, and the closest I came was in the repro files ( crying.gif ). However, I still hope this one has a chance. The wing is die struck, the sterling mark is raised in the center, and there's no evidence of old Meyer marks being removed.

What say the experts?

Thanks.

Scott

post-2884-1207277269.jpg

John Cooper

So many wings are hard to tell unless you have them in hand...esp with some good restrikes many shy away from them... does is show the typical markes of being die struck? How does it look under close inspection i.e. x30 power loupe?

Additionally how about the attachment of the pin and catch assembly is it hand done? Anyway welcome to the forums fellow wing collector! How long have you been collecting?

Any chance of additional high res photos of the top down, pin & catch..?

John

BOB K. RKSS

Does the PIN have a 60* to 90* opening Stop, built in? That's the way wing pins were made in WWII, & is usually a good first indicator of any originals. WELCOME to the Forum!

Currently I don't like it too much. The one thing I do like is the pin catch which is the earlier drop in style. I have not seen too many fakes with that particular catch(not that that really means anything), the pin is the 180 degree type and not a 60 degree cam pin, and the detail of the STERLING mark is very muddy. All not good signs. Based on what I see(better photo's would definately help) I believe it to be a later restrike.

Welcome to the forum and please remember we are relatively knowledgable individuals..not experts!

Gary

Thanks for the frank opinions gents. Unfortunately, the wife needed the camera this evening so the additional detail photos will have to wait until this weekend. It does have a 180-degree opening pin. Thanks for your patience...

crazy-monsooner

I have a very similar TO wing but is clutch back. Someone clipped clutch and stick it to a blue cloth. I think seller just want to make sure this wing is made in sterling so remove cloth but with some remnants left on the back.

your opinion is appreciated!

CIMG2459.jpg

CIMG2478.jpg

CIMG2474.jpg

CIMG2467.jpg

CIMG2466.jpg

I'd have to say crazy-m's wing above is very similar to mine. Of course the attachment hardware is different, and the Sterling mark on mine is about 1mm closer to the edge. But otherwise they look the same.

Here are a few additional photos of mine. The top one shows a seam along the top with some shear marks which I assumed indicated die stamping, but I could be wrong. The other photos show the hinge and catch. If other shots are needed, please let me know.

Thanks for your opinions!

post-2884-1207435524.jpg

post-2884-1207435580.jpg

post-2884-1207435589.jpg

Hi Scott,

I kind of like your wing. Sadly, I believe it is one of those items that you kind of just have to decide in your heart if it is good or if it is bad, and then you have to decide to live with that choice. Sometimes, things arent all that clear and arguments can be made for both good and bad. TO wings seem to be one of those types of wings that are very difficult to decide if they are good or bad.

None of the major problems jump out at me, but on the other hand, this is a type of wing that is frequenly faked and HAS been restruck from the original dies. So, what can you do, it is what it is?

If you like them and think they are vintage, I am not so sure I would disagree all the vehemently with you.

Just my opinion, but I do kind of like them.

Patrick

Thanks Pat (and others) for the honest feedback. For me, the hunt is over for these wings - be they good or bad. I'll keep them as a representative piece in my case. The chances of me finding a set of "one-look, no-doubt original" TO wings these days are probably slim and none - especially on my low collecting budget (ha!).

Cheers.

Dont be so sure about that Scott,

I have found some super rare, one of a kind type treasures. A WWI wing for 45$, for example. Be patient, and a treasure or two will come your way--maybe even that rare and elusive TO wing.

Patrick

Thanks Pat (and others) for the honest feedback. For me, the hunt is over for these wings - be they good or bad. I'll keep them as a representative piece in my case. The chances of me finding a set of "one-look, no-doubt original" TO wings these days are probably slim and none - especially on my low collecting budget (ha!).

Cheers.

John Cooper

I have to echo patrick on this because the very statment that patrick made happened to me in the last two weeks. I hope to be posting some photos in the near future.

Cheers