December 1944, La Gleize Museum, Belgium

Johan Willaert

Backtheattack

The new form looks great. Was there 4 years ago and visited the now "old" exhibition. Like the puppets in the new one. It seems some european museums are now back with new style, for instance the airborne museum at the Hartenstein Hotel at Arnhem.

• 2 months later...
Johan Willaert

Spent hours in there yesterday and the quality of the items on display along with the manner is which everything is organised is absolutely mindblowing!!!

Being picky, I would suggest some more text describing the displays to the average visitor, but IMO this museum now ranks at the top of the museum list!!

Congrats to the curators/owners

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I visited the museum two weeks ago and was highly impressed. It is a nice, clean, modern museum with outstanding displays. We drove from Luxembourg, which in itself is a lot of fun. It's beautiful terrain and you can feel all of the history around you.

I highly recommend a visit if you're ever nearby.

respectingthesacrifice

The museum at La Gleize, Belgium was re-opened last weekend since it was taken over and refurbished last year...

Pictures at: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.139855962877047.1073741840.124893601039950&type=3

Agreed, very nice museum, very like the new ones now (Dead Mans' Corner and Overlord 44 in Normandy; Baugnez44 in the Ardennes for example), with a lot of manequins "in action"

Here is the same view in Winter time...

Eric

post-152914-0-46078300-1405839252.jpg

Great picture of the Tiger II. Looks much more dramatic in winter time. I wish we could've spent more time exploring.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Backtheattack

The Tiger II tank there has it`s own history, saved from a salvage with a bottle of cognac, the destroyed barrel of the tank was later finished with a barrel from a Panther tank together with another Panther guns muzzle break.

• 10 months later...
Corpsman_1941

I've been there last week :) it's most amazing Museum I've ever seen, thing which caught my eye was Johnson M1941 light machine gun on FSSF display