1918-2008 U.S.Armed Forces Women's Uniforms

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" There ought to be more attention paid to what women have worn as members of the United States Armed Forces, at least from 1918 to present. Yes, I know some have posted uniforms worn by service women, but we need to see more! Recently an eBay seller (USMC-Collector) described a set of women's Dress Blues for the U.S. Marine Coros as being rare, rare? Really? How so? Maybe uncommon as some women officers in the USMC are required to have a set of Dress Blues for Embassy or White House duty, yes? Anyway, USMC-Collector did take some really nice photographs, give credit where it is due! thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1207258826.jpg

U.S. Army field jacket worn by female soldiers. ;) (Thanks to USMC-Collector)

post-837-1207259133.jpg

usmc-collector
"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" There ought to be more attention paid to what women have worn as members of the United States Armed Forces, at least from 1918 to present. Yes, I know some have posted uniforms worn by service women, but we need to see more! Recently an eBay seller (USMC-Collector) described a set of women's Dress Blues for the U.S. Marine Coros as being rare, rare? Really? How so? Maybe uncommon as some women officers in the USMC are required to have a set of Dress Blues for Embassy or White House duty, yes? Anyway, USMC-Collector did take some really nice photographs, give credit where it is due! thumbsup.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

Sarge,

Regarding to your question, I used the term rare, because generally USMC Womens Officers Dress uniforms are hard to obtain on collectors market, I didn´t use term rare due to the scarcity of uniform itself. As time allows me I will post more detailed photos of many more USMC women uniforms WW2-present, which my wife has in her collection (she is also reenactor), I work on papers (maybe book one day) which should in detail describe USMC male and female dress uniforms. I gathered large volume of data, USMC uniforms regulations, uniforms, so as time allows I process it to compile organized source of data which could be used as guide for USMC Uniform collectors. I also think as well as you that ...There ought to be more attention paid to what women have worn as members of the United States Armed Forces.

SF JAROSLAV

Sarge,

Regarding to your question, I used the term rare, because generally USMC Womens Officers Dress uniforms are hard to obtain on collectors market, I didn´t use term rare due to the scarcity of uniform itself. As time allows me I will post more detailed photos of many more USMC women uniforms WW2-present, which my wife has in her collection (she is also reenactor), I work on papers (maybe book one day) which should in detail describe USMC male and female dress uniforms. I gathered large volume of data, USMC uniforms regulations, uniforms, so as time allows I process it to compile organized source of data which could be used as guide for USMC Uniform collectors. I also think as well as you that ...There ought to be more attention paid to what women have worn as members of the United States Armed Forces.

SF JAROSLAV

SEMPER FI, JAROSLAV: I was a bit harsh, my aplogies! Yes, you're right about the need to see more uniforms of the women who serve in the U.S. Armed Forces, too seldom do we get to see them. I have a CD disk of the 1937 United States Marine Corps uniform regulations. Those are really nice photos you take! :rolleyes:

Here are two pages from a 1942 booklet showing the uniforms of the Women's Auxiliary Army Corps. thumbsup.gif

post-837-1207270500.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
thumbsup.gif "Greetings & Salutations!" Spotted this officers cap for Waves or Nurses that had no visors, wonder how long they used this type of headgear? Sarge Booker

post-837-1235332050.jpg

post-837-1235332063.jpg

post-837-1235332075.jpg

thumbsup.gif "Greetings & Salutations!" Spotted this officers cap for Waves or Nurses that had no visors, wonder how long they used this type of headgear? Sarge Booker

Your hat is the second pattern service hat authorized for wear during WWII, sometimes known as the Model 1944 service hat (the first pattern service hat was introduced in 1942). Navy Nurse's were given commissioned rank on 26 Feb. 1944 and in March 1944, they were authorized the wear of the commissioned officer's cap device and mohair ribbon. These hats were authorized for wear until 21 Oct. 1948.

A serious lacunae in my AAF/USAF patches/insignia/small artifacts collection is material that can be directly linked to women and their uniforms... so, I find this thread fascinating and helpful. Since I'm gathering the collection as a bequest to my new granddaughter (whose mom appears to have been a "feminist" from birth :blink: ), pulling together any female objects possible is a high priority for gramps!

Hope to see some AF stuff included one day.

• 2 weeks later...
:unsure: SEMPER FI! 1944, "IT'S THE VOGUE" is a really nice booklet from the United States Marine Corps' Recruiter to recruit women in the Corps. This booklet show women in the different uniforms of the U.S.M.C.! Got this on the first bid as no one bid against me on eBay, believe it or not? I'm trying to get in touch with a woman who collects such emphemera so I can donate this to her collection, wish people who I share things with would remain in touch! Know this would add to her collection! The best things in life are really free quite often!

post-837-1236283215.jpg

• 4 weeks later...