Rarest Navy Rates

zljones

Why do you guys think the white 1913-1930s style rates are so common compared to the blue ones? I have a tough time finding even some of the more common specialties on blue from that era.

-Jay

I've noticed that too, I always figured they made more because there was more demand, with 4 white jumpers to 3 blue in a sailor's minimum seabag, and more badge fade and wear out from more laundering. that's my guess, anyway.

Justin B.

After 20+ years of observation I am of the opinion that several large tailors were stuck with a ton of stock with the conversion from wool to twill chevrons on the summer rates as this was not an issue with the winter rates

I am with you Jason on the bullion Buglemaster. A large part of my collection is bullion CPO rates, and I too have never seen a bullion Buglemaster.

-Fritz

Is this what your describing?

nilpost-114630-0-09893000-1372623726.jpg

That is definitely it, just a beautiful rate. First and only one I have ever seen in bullion in any color. Now I can search even harder. Thank you for showing.

-Fritz

Another rate I have been trying to find for years is a khaki bullion CPO Pharmacist Mate. I have only ever seen one. Does anyone have one?

-Fritz

Another rate I have been trying to find for years is a khaki bullion CPO Pharmacist Mate. I have only ever seen one. Does anyone have one?

-Fritz

I have never seen one of those either come to think of it. That one is also on my hit list along with just about everything else, thanks to my liquidation 3 years ago. On Corpsman one I would like to see is a 1897 style with the red cross, I am starting to doubt it exists as I have never seen an example. Inner stitching with the leaning crow, 1894-1905 style.

-Fritz

Is this it?post-114630-0-52081900-1372881342.jpg

How about turret captain as a third class?

I have examples in blue and white,ww2 era. I don't think I ever seen a pre ww2 example in po3.

John Helvey, "The Storekeeper", offered me a bullion bugler once. At the time I thought it was much too expensive. Should have accepted it then.

Never been offered a Gun Captain rating badge, although John's (you know who you are) daughter says I can buy his if something happens to him. :D

There are some good lists started here.

-dan

How about turret captain as a third class?

It is generally believed that the responsibility of turret captain would not have been entrusted to a 3rd class petty officer in those times. I know there are Turret Captain 3rd class rating badges in collections, but I, for one, don't believe they were ever issued.

It is generally believed that the responsibility of turret captain would not have been entrusted to a 3rd class petty officer in those times. I know there are Turret Captain 3rd class rating badges in collections, but I, for one, don't believe they were ever issued.

Dan,

They were made but never authorized. Probably not many were made when they realize there error.

There were never turret captains 3c or 2c in the navy, no personnel manual or official publication lists them as rates. A gunner's mate 2c could be promoted to GM1c or TC1c; the main difference was TC specialized in turrets and turret-mounted guns. As Jason said above, the TC3c and TC2c badges that one sees are almost always WW2 period. As I said in another recent thread, I believe that's because of the rapid expansion of the wartime navy. Contracts went out for a lot more rating badges, new companies without a lot of navy experience got into the business, and they just started making badges for every stripe/specialty mark combo in the book, not knowing that some weren't actually used.

Justin B.

Photographic Intelligenceman CPO is quite hard to find, and very difficult to find in bullion.

post-769-0-06848800-1372953743.jpg

-dan

• 4 weeks later...

Dan,

I bought this uniform a month ago that has a Boiler Tech. on. Also got his pants and hat, but that's for another thread.

post-2501-0-33784500-1375479014.jpg

Dan,

I bought this uniform a month ago that has a Boiler Tech. on. Also got his pants and hat, but that's for another thread.

attachicon.gifscan0001.jpg

Nice, Jason.

I had seen that uniform for sale on eBay a couple of years ago. It was the second example of that configuration that I had seen, your blue version being the other. I had started a discussion with John Stacey on that particular config.

-dan

Dan,

attachicon.gifscan0001.jpg

Nice, Jason.

I had seen that uniform for sale on eBay a couple of years ago. It was the second example of that configuration that I had seen. Your blue version that John Helvey use to have was the first example I'd seen.

I had started a discussion with John Stacey on that particular config.

If I'm remembering my khaki history correctly, it would be 1974, just before collar devices replaced CPO rating badges on khaki, and just before khaki was discontinued (until its recent reinstatement).

-dan