Rarest Navy Rates

zljones

Greetings all-

Glad to be returning to the hobby after I had to liquidate my entire collection 2 years ago. As I was putting together my hit list, I was thinking about what the rarest rates are out there, that you only see for sale annually at best. I think there was a thread years ago that I can't find. Anyway, I want to start a new one to see what members think are the rarest nowadays. Let's see some top 10 or top 20 lists of what you think is the most pain in the butt to obtain.

Greetings all-

Glad to be returning to the hobby after I had to liquidate my entire collection 2 years ago. As I was putting together my hit list, I was thinking about what the rarest rates are out there, that you only see for sale annually at best. I think there was a thread years ago that I can't find. Anyway, I want to start a new one to see what members think are the rarest nowadays. Let's see some top 10 or top 20 lists of what you think is the most pain in the butt to obtain.

The one pictured in your avatar should easily make the list.

Thanks,

I would say the hardest rate to find of the ww2 era would be a airship rigger cpo non bullion. Only seen 3 of them and two of the whites cpo's came from the same source. The other was on a uniform. A close 2nd would be a mineman cpo.

Jason

Here's my list

1. CPO Gun Captain

3. 1894 era 1898-1905 corpsman with cross (does it even exist!?)

2. 1894 era Master At Arms

3. 1894 era Sailmaker

4. 1893-1894 CPO Apothecary

5. CPO Underwater Mechanic bullion

6. Airship Rigger CPO

7. Mineman CPO WW2 in bullion

8. Master At Arms 1st class/CPO 1886-1894

9. 1886 era bullion rates especially Schoolmaster or any other special rates like Seaman Gunner

10. CPO Pilot pre WW2 bullion

Just to throw out a top 10

The one pictured in your avatar should easily make the list.

Yea and now I will have to painfully try to obtain that one again, especially after I got a great deal the first time around :dry:

3. 1894 era 1898-1905 corpsman with cross (does it even exist!?)

Well, the red cross is listed in the 1899 and 1901 uniform regs, so I'm sure they're out there, but now that I think about it I don't ever remember seeing a real one.

Justin B.

Well, the red cross is listed in the 1899 and 1901 uniform regs, so I'm sure they're out there, but now that I think about it I don't ever remember seeing a real one.

Justin B.

I think a few years ago I saw a CPO 1894 style with the Apothecary symbol but never a red cross example.

I am thinking 1886 cook, I've seen several Gun Capt CPO's but only once have I seen the cooks rate Dan has ?

How about Chief Aviation Rigger or Quatermaster, Aviation from the 1920's? Those don't show up for sale everyday.

-Jay

How about Chief Aviation Rigger or Quatermaster, Aviation from the 1920's? Those don't show up for sale everyday.

-Jay

Those two were actually in my top 20, especially the red chevron on blue is very hard to get. Aviation Quartermaster on white comes up every few months or so, but the blue sometimes won't appear for a year or two. The Aviation Rigger is even rarer.

Yeah,

I am still looking for a chief Aviation Rigger on blue. I would put these lists by time period. There are pretty many rates I have not yet seen. I think I seen a cpo Aviation Rigger on blue show up on Manions many years ago. I did not bid. I think back then it went for 400 or more dollars.

Yeah,

I am still looking for a chief Aviation Rigger on blue. I would put these lists by time period. There are pretty many rates I have not yet seen. I think I seen a cpo Aviation Rigger on blue show up on Manions many years ago. I did not bid. I think back then it went for 400 or more dollars.

Jason, I agree on the CPO Aviation Rigger on blue. Been searching for that one for awhile. I would also add to the list the bullion CPO Airship Rigger(only know of three), bullion 1st Class Sailmaker's Mate with gold chevrons, bullion CPO Pharmacist's Mate on aviation green, and bullion CPO Master-At-Arms. Also, though I doubt it is that scarce, bullion CPO Parachute Rigger WWII era. I just hardly ever see one of these.

-Fritz

Jason, I agree on the CPO Aviation Rigger on blue. Been searching for that one for awhile. I would also add to the list the bullion CPO Airship Rigger(only know of three), bullion 1st Class Sailmaker's Mate with gold chevrons, bullion CPO Pharmacist's Mate on aviation green, and bullion CPO Master-At-Arms. Also, though I doubt it is that scarce, bullion CPO Parachute Rigger WWII era. I just hardly ever see one of these.

-Fritz

I agree,

I think any sailmaker's are hard to find exept for the 1913-1930's examples on white. You rarely see them on blue, and the 1905-1913 white rates with red chevrons are very tough to find.

How about a bullion bugler rate, never seen one of those.

-Fritz

I did not even know there was a bullion Pharmacist on Aviation green or CPO MAA :o . I was theorizing that could exist but I have never seen a picture.

I agree,

I think any sailmaker's are hard to find exept for the 1913-1930's examples on white. You rarely see them on blue, and the 1905-1913 white rates with red chevrons are very tough to find.

How about a bullion bugler rate, never seen one of those.

I am with you Jason on the bullion Buglemaster. A large part of my collection is bullion CPO rates, and I too have never seen a bullion Buglemaster.

-Fritz

I did not even know there was a bullion Pharmacist on Aviation green or CPO MAA :o . I was theorizing that could exist but I have never seen a picture.

Not sure on the bullion CPO MAA, but here is the PM on green.

-Fritz

post-1466-0-22135400-1372364885.jpg

Not sure on the bullion CPO MAA, but here is the PM on green.

-Fritz

attachicon.gif001 (383x640) (180x300).jpg

It sure is a beauty, Jason also just told me about that thread a few hours ago, I came across that thread but did not see the color too well, but this larger pic shows it well, I may have to add that one to my "I want" list.

Here's my list:

Any genuine pre 1886 embroidered insignia

1886 Cook

Any pre 1905 Gun Capt rate

Bullion Turret Capt w/ seaman gunner on the same piece of cloth

Here's my list:

Any genuine pre 1886 embroidered insignia

1886 Cook

Any pre 1905 Gun Capt rate

Bullion Turret Capt w/ seaman gunner on the same piece of cloth

I agree with you John,

I have only seen one bullion TC w seaman gunner insignia and I bought it. I really think any rate with the seaman gunner attach is a rare find,

Why do you guys think the white 1913-1930s style rates are so common compared to the blue ones? I have a tough time finding even some of the more common specialties on blue from that era.

-Jay

Jay,

In my experience you see more of the white rates from that era than the blue. Don't get me wrong some rate are hard to find in the white like aviation rigger and aviation quartermaster as a couple examples. But I see far more of the white ones compare to the blue.

Jason