101st with YELLOW Airborne Tab

WorldWarPatches

WorldWarPatches

Any of U experts on 101st have an opinion as to the age of the Yellow one. It's NO-GLOW and burns good.

post-119983-0-98371400-1372258323.jpg

WorldWarPatches

I don't have a bad thing to say about that site, but it's a bit corn fuzzing to me, sub variants of sub variants and then some. Half the TYPES all look the same to me. I never put a TYPE on the 101st I sell because there is always someone tellin me I have it id'ed wrong. I have 50 or so 101st patches but only 1 with the yellow tab.

Your patch in question (pictured on the right) is classified under Mark's (Bando) numbering system as a Type 7 - It's 100% WWII.

The other patch on left is a Type 10, those were late WWII and worn well into the 60's.

Hope this helps

Matt

Any of U experts on 101st have an opinion as to the age of the Yellow one. It's NO-GLOW and burns good.

attachicon.gifMF.jpg

lol, I would love to see a 101st patch burn good ;-)

Back on topic: when Teamski id's it as being fifties while it was removed from a patch book that was put together in the 40's I am curious why Ski dated it as being a fifties patch. I mean, then he must see a difference with the late-war / early post war mades? btw no offense meant in this question - i highly esteem Ski's opinion in these matters.

Thanks!

WorldWarPatches

Do you not know how to burn test? Explain your " lol, I would love to see a 101st patch burn good ;-)"

The one on the left was removed from a album put together in the 40's and is WW 2 era.

Do you know for a fact it was put together in the 40's? Many albums put together were done after WWII.

Patchcollector

The Type 10 issue came up earlier in my thread entitled "White Tongue,Greenback,Red Tongue,Blackback,Whiteback,Snowback,oh my!"

Here is an excerpt from the thread:

As for the type 10's,Bando writes:

Much confusion exists among collectors as to what time periods a particular design dates to. This is compounded by the fact that some WW2 era Types were left over after that war ended, and in some cases were still in use as late as the Vietnam War. In the case of those few Types, there is little or no physical difference, and only provenance (i.e. who it came from, and when he served)can place the approximate time of manufacture. I believe that the manufacturer of Type 10 only started making them near the end of WW2. Hence, WW2 worn examples are relatively scarce, yet the total number produced by that company up until 1965 was relatively great.In most cases, unless you have provenance on a particular patch of this type, it is impossible to determine if it was issued during WW2 or much later.

So I think it is safe to say,that when it comes to the Type 10s',it is impossible to date them without provenance,as they were made from near the end of WW2 up until 1965.

Do you not know how to burn test? Explain your " lol, I would love to see a 101st patch burn good ;-)"

Of course I know how to do a burn test. Was just kidding.

@Patchcollector: I know the EaglePatchCorner and what is written there on Type 10's. That why I was curious as to how Ski would know the difference...

Cheers all.

Patchcollector

@Patchcollector: I know the EaglePatchCorner and what is written there on Type 10's. That why I was curious as to how Ski would know the difference...

Cheers all.

Yes Bocage you are correct,according to Bando,no one can tell the age of a type 10 without provenance.

Yes but wouldn't certain Type 10s one might incounter be made with Poly bobbin/rear threads? these being one's made in the early/ mid to late-sh 60s?

Patchcollector

Bando states that the type 10s were produced from the late WW2 era to 1965.Although I did not see it written on his site,I'm presuming that the patches were all made from cotton.

If type 10s exist made from artificial materials,then I would agree with you about them being postwar made.

Bando states that the type 10s were produced from the late WW2 era to 1965.Although I did not see it written on his site,I'm presuming that the patches were all made from cotton.

If type 10s exist made from artificial materials,then I would agree with you about them being postwar made.

Right PC, though the date there will be 1968 not 1965. For the early 60s one's, any Army shoulder patch they could indeed be made still in cotton, though it's actually Rayon with Cotton or even Rayon boobin/ rear threads. I got once a 11th Air Assault Division Attached Tab one piece patch, much to my suprise it was non poly in it's boobin thread, it was burnable cotton/rayon, I dated it to say 1963 or so when the 11th Air Asslt Div was activated. So too I would imagine the other units still were made to a degree with Rayon front Cotton/Rayon bobbin/rear thread, however at the same time more and more poly backed thread started to made, and had started to be made going back at least to the late 50s. The 101 patch with attached tab, the so called type 10 must have been made with poly rears since this flat edge patch, and or flat end patches for all Army units continued to made past 1965 as these were the standard, and worn well into the late 60s despite the introduction of the newly prescribed Merrowed Edge types.

Patchcollector

As far as dates are concerned,I quoted Bando in his opening paragraphs as stating the date 1965,then on the next page "probably 1968"!So I'm not sure about when type 10 production ceased. :blink:

I still agree with Bandos' statement that no one can tell the age of a type 10 without provenance.The cotton vs synthetic thread test could be used to determine whether or not a patch was WW2 era,but I think Bando,and the people posting in the beginning of this thread are assuming that the patches are cotton,and not synthetic.

Also there is the issue of "made vs used",as a company may have made the patches at one time,then they were used at a later date.

As far as dates are concerned,I quoted Bando in his opening paragraphs as stating the date 1965,then on the next page "probably 1968"!So I'm not sure about when type 10 production ceased. :blink:

I still agree with Bandos' statement that no one can tell the age of a type 10 without provenance.The cotton vs synthetic thread test could be used to determine whether or not a patch was WW2 era,but I think Bando,and the people posting in the beginning of this thread are assuming that the patches are cotton,and not synthetic.

Also there is the issue of "made vs used",as a company may have made the patches at one time,then they were used at a later date.

I concur with all the above.

Patchcollector

It is one way to help determine when a patch was made,by taking a thread from the patch,and burning it to see if it melts or not.Melting would indicate synthetic materials used,hence a postwar made patch.

Here is a link to a thread posted here describing it:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43652-using-the-burn-test-to-identify-fibers-in-patches/

lol, I would love to see a 101st patch burn good ;-)

Back on topic: when Teamski id's it as being fifties while it was removed from a patch book that was put together in the 40's I am curious why Ski dated it as being a fifties patch. I mean, then he must see a difference with the late-war / early post war mades? btw no offense meant in this question - i highly esteem Ski's opinion in these matters.

Thanks!

My answer was that I believed that the patch was MOST LIKELY from the 1950's. I read Bando's comments on his site years ago, and they stuck in my head. If anybody would know about these patches, he would. I have the exact same Type 10 in my collection and I consider it a 1950's era patch. There is no way anybody can say that the patch is 100% WWII.

-Ski

Patchcollector

My answer was that I believed that the patch was MOST LIKELY from the 1950's. I read Bando's comments on his site years ago, and they stuck in my head. If anybody would know about these patches, he would. I have the exact same Type 10 in my collection and I consider it a 1950's era patch. There is no way anybody can say that the patch is 100% WWII.

-Ski

Not without provenance anyway :)

Not without provenance anyway :)

Or if it came in a dated unissed cardboard box :lol: Now that's something I would love to see, a WWII or even later dated box of unissued attached tab Screaming Eagles patches post-34986-0-59075200-1372645680.gif That would fetch a pretty penny I would say.

It is one way to help determine when a patch was made,by taking a thread from the patch,and burning it to see if it melts or not.Melting would indicate synthetic materials used,hence a postwar made patch.

Here is a link to a thread posted here describing it:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43652-using-the-burn-test-to-identify-fibers-in-patches/

Hi Patchcollector

Thank you for the link, I now understand the meaning of the Burns Test, sorry guys if I went off WorldWarPatches, Topic.

Welshman

WorldWarPatches

No way you can't either. Beatin a dead horse here. More were made in the 60's than the 50's so why not say 60's. It's a no-glow cut edge 101st patch that will look good in any collection tagged WW2 to 60's.