M1917 SBR Question

Mitter2k1

I have a question and I don't know if it has been addressed before. I have a M1917 SBR that is in very good shape except for missing the exterior mouthpiece. The whole thing is still very pliable except for the elastic. But anyways I was curious if there was a way to remove the crusty brown stuff from the eye. It is between 2 layers of glass and I don't know if this is something that is permanent or not. Is there a solution to this?

post-104697-13722176330773.jpg

RustyCanteen

I believe that is the remains of the adhesive used to bond the lens together, and there is no way to safely remove it. It's pretty typical of the WWI gas masks.

I believe that is the remains of the adhesive used to bond the lens together, and there is no way to safely remove it. It's pretty typical of the WWI gas masks.

I did not know that there was an adhesive used and I figured it couldn't be fixed. But it didn't hurt to ask. Thanks

RustyCanteen

I think that type of lens used two pieces with an adhesive between them. I seem to recall reading of the development of the lens, but don't remember anything beyond that. Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can do.

The really early (and British) lenses were celluloid, and is usually a dark tan/yellow by now and very fragile.