Need a little help with a G-1 Flight Jacket

DTQ

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some help dating a jacket I've pulled out of my closet. I have Googled the contract # and identified the jacket as a G-1, but I do not know how exactly to narrow the date of manufacture and if possible the value. Any help anyone is able to offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

_DTQ5327_zps008b99c7.jpg

_DTQ5328_zpsc3e7c890.jpg

_DTQ5336_zps94f316b3.jpg

I think its potential value would be greatly enhanced if you treated the dried-out/scuffed leather (actually goatskin) with a good quality leather dressing such as Pecard's. Not only would it look better, it will also help preserve the jacket.

Thank you both for your help. I will look around for someone nearby that could treat the jacket, and I may have it relined etc as well.

Thanks! The "antique leather care" product seems like a good choice, but I will contact them and make sure before I buy anything.

Based on the current condition of the jacket, it might cost you more to have it re-lined and to have the leather reconditioned than the jacket is worth. It needs a new mouton collar too. Jackets from this time frame in wearable condition can be bought on Ebay for 200-300 that don't need restoration.

Kurt

If the jacket is a family item and holds meaning to you I'd say restore it. If you are looking for one to wear, I'd buy a different one.

Kurt

Thanks Kurt, but actually neither is the case, I'm liquidating many items I no longer want to store and this will end up on ebay or in someones collection. I have never been in the armed forces, I am not a pilot, and wearing this now, at this stage of my life, would make me feel like a poser.

The first 7823 contracts were dated 1951-54.

I agree with Kurt in that is wouldn't be worth it to restore this jacket. You can find nice ones for the cost of doing that.

• 2 weeks later...