Paratrooper bust, 551st PIB

Joe55

Here is a bust I recently finished. He's representative of one of the 'GOYAS' that jumped into southern France as part of Operation Dragoon. The kit is a 1/9th scale bust by Young Miniatures, Paratrooper, 82d Airborne, Normandy, 1944. I modified him by, and this will make some squirm, filing and sanding off the 82d patch off the left shoulder and the flag patch on the right. I then made a brassard out of sheet lead and placed it around the left upper arm. He is painted in acrylics and oils. I used numerous references in my library, but the inspiration came from Michel De Trez's wonderful book 'Airborne Task Force'. Hope you all enjoy him and if you spot anything that needs fix'n please let me know!

Joe

post-120035-0-66692400-1372201119.jpg

camelgreen44, Maine4n6, and Ches-Gen-4:

Thanks guys for checking him out and commenting!

Joe

how about a few more photos from different angles

I agree with everyone else. You do amazing work. I would swear all of the equipment was added on.

Is it all one piece?

...Kat

Sabrejet, RustyCanteen, elvis3006, and mpguy80/08:

Thanks to each of you for looking him over and issuing all that praise.

sgtdorango:

Actually I took several pics, but was not able to load them, something about the pic was too big. I'm just not that computer savy, but I'll try.

cutiger83:

This kit has several separate components. Here you go: torso (bust), head, helmet, helmet chinstrap (that I jacked up and had to make a new one out of lead sheet and wire), Tommy Gun butt stock, partial main chute, reserve chute, May West strap (at rear), 2ea. main chute harness straps on rear portion of shoulders, 2 'D' rings, and finally a peg that goes in a predrilled hole on the underside of the bust to attach to the wood base.

post-120035-0-72949400-1372290837.jpg

Incredible work. Until I saw the base, I thought I was looking at a photograph of a live trooper.

Incredible!

Any more pics?

I have a few WIP (work in progress), shots. Here's a couple more, a shot of the face painted up then camouflaged and with the helmet on,

post-120035-0-58132900-1372435107.jpg

RustyCanteen

Thanks for posting the additional photos!

The work that went into the painting is just amazing, it's very life like.

Thanks for posting the additional photos!

The work that went into the painting is just amazing, it's very life like.

You're welcome and thanks for your comment! Like most things, practice, practice, practice :) !

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Love it. Wish I had something like it to put next to my stuff like you do. Real piece of art!!

I'm glad you like him, and thanks for your comment! :)

Joe