Fake WWII M-1941 Field Jacket, 26th Infantry Division

S1991

Not sure if this is the right topic and if it would still be eligible.

However I feel that I must place this before someone else get's scammed by this eBay seller: giscootterjoe.

This person, Scott McManus from Marlborough, Massachusetts sold this Field Jacket to me as being original.

But after several collectors and re-enactors saw the photographs I took of the jacket, they all said the same thing. It is a older fake.

Here is the link to the auction and as you can see alot of money had been paid. Had to pay shipping within the US, shipping from the US to The Netherlands and now again shipping from The Netherlands to the US. This joke cost me about $40 for tracking and with a signature for delivery. The seller won't even refund half of the return shipping fees. But I feel that he should as he stated in the listing that it was a WWII M-1941 Field Jacket and NOT a replica.

That being said he sold fake as a original.

The link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-ARMY-COMBAT-M41-FIELD-JACKET-SERGEANT-STRIPES-26TH-YANKEE-DIV-PATCH-WOW-/111069054431?

His photo's:

post-4316-0-96424200-1372179840.jpg

The topic I posted on USMF about it:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178945-wwii-m-1941-field-jacket-26th-division-original/

The photo's I took off the jacket:

p6070002.jpg

p6070003ac.jpg

p6070004w.jpg

p6070005.jpg

p6070007.jpg

p6070008.jpg

p6070009r.jpg

Moderators if it inappropiate to post the name of the seller, please edit it.

As I am not sure if it may. Just want to notifiy other collectors to watch out with this person.

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

26th Infantry "Yankee" Division

Army Nurse Corps

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA) to ETO men

Purple Hearts/Medal Group (KIA/WIA)

KIA Purple Hearts specific men

My personal website about the 26th Infantry Division:

More photo's of the seller:

post-4316-0-49747800-1372180295.jpg

Field of interest in WWII and always interested in purchasing items related to the following:

Army Nurse Corps

Captainofthe7th

And coming out of Marlborough, MA is a good indicator that it has been used by a YD reenactor. I used to be (still might be?) a member, and there are plenty of us around here in New England. I haven't been to an event in a couple years, though!

I hope you can work it out!

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

I don't see in his description where he states it was original (other than being listed in the original category). I do see where he states it's being sold "as-is." So, be thankful you're getting your $194 refunded.

Ebay Red Flag - When a knowledgeable seller (i.e., one who knows all the technical collector terms, such as "M41", etc) is offering a seemingly desirable higher value item and does not go overboard with other favorable descriptive terms such as "TOTALLY ORIGINAL", etc, there is a reason for that...... He knows it is fake, but doesn't want to blatantly lie about it (beyond listing it in the original category). His description is designed to lead a collector to the conclusion that it is original (i.e., contains manipulative statements such as, "it features its original 26th Division patch").

All the Ebay crooks specializing in bogus WW1 shoulder patches use this strategy (i.e., describe how nice the item is it, other than some crap about "age/storage wear" etc, but come up just short of stating that it is original).

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly enough indeed. Hope the buyer read this topic...

Army Nurse Corps

• 4 years later...

This seller, giscooterjoe, has been scamming people with "U.S. Army Special Services" baseballs for at least five years. In the past 12 months, he's sold 46 of them for more than $3,500.00. He has a great business going in defrauding people.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif