Combat vs Gallant Men TV series

Trooper B.A.R

Trooper B.A.R

I'm sure the mass is familiar with the TV series Combat, but a lesser one remembered by name only, and lasted only 1 season, (short one at that with 26 episodes), Gallant Men.

Since Gallant Men is available on DVD, decided to get it. After watching the episodes, I now see, and remember why we didn't watch it back in 62. Filled with stock footage, scenes repeated over and over. Warner Bros. went overboard on using stock footage.

As to Combat, one thing is immediately noticed and why it became such a hit, the show from the beginning built arounf the squad. Using actors with limited exposure, one sees them mature over time, just as one thrown into battle first time, and hardened as the war progressed.

Character developement, and getting to know each member of the squad, went a long way into making it realistic. Other war shows failed because of this. I'm sure there are many good memories and episodes from this show we all remember.

FYI- COMBAT! is still alive in Hollywood. the rights are actively being worked on (and have for a while) with some very close calls at getting greenlit. Sometimes as a series, sometimes as a film. Since it's probably a good idea, nothing will ever come of it, but the rights holding production company keeps trying.

Trooper B.A.R

FYI- COMBAT! is still alive in Hollywood. the rights are actively being worked on (and have for a while) with some very close calls at getting greenlit. Sometimes as a series, sometimes as a film. Since it's probably a good idea, nothing will ever come of it, but the rights holding production company keeps trying.

I have yet to see Hollywood get it right in making a TV series into a movie.

history-buff1944

If The Gallant Men had lasted as long as COMBAT--it could ahve been a very close call because-as I watched the series--it was slowly coming into its "own" and was not a terrible series though most of the cast was basically "untested and unknown." However, COMBAT would have still been my favorite of the two.

I have a few stills from COMBAT and ill see if I can get them to post?

068_68_zps830463ad.jpg

history-buff1944

My PB account will not let me post them any other way other than cut and pasting. I have several more from the series but not yet on CD.

Trooper B.A.R

One of my most treasured items in my autograph collectiom are 2 of Vic Morrow, and 1 of Rick Jason, with pics from the series.

• 4 years later...

"Combat!" was OK and cool, but the landscapes were completely American, not European ones ;)

If you watch enough old movies and tv shows, you begin to realize the world looks an awful lot like southern California. ;)

If you watch enough old movies and tv shows, you begin to realize the world looks an awful lot like southern California. ;)

+1..... :lol:

No CGI either.

Yep!

I watched "Combat!" every week when I was a kid, never missed it. I don't remember "The Gallant Men"...

Somewhere, I think I still have my "Combat!" board game.

• 2 weeks later...

When it comes to the landscapes -- the same goes for many other Hollywood productions, as, for instance, "Battle of The Bulge". This is not Bulge but US praire :lol:

I still watch Combat! every Sunday at midnight. Right between an hour of The Rat Patrol and 12 O'Clock High. Incidently, I own complete series of these 3 shows on DVD. It's the surprise of which episodes are being shown that gets me to watch every week. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I still watch Combat! every Sunday at midnight. Right between an hour of The Rat Patrol and 12 O'Clock High. Incidently, I own complete series of these 3 shows on DVD. It's the surprise of which episodes are being shown that gets me to watch every week. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I'm the same way about watching broadcast shows vs watching on DVD. Same goes for music on the radio while I'm driving. I enjoy the surprise factor.

Mikie