Jack's Son

Humrichous Wing grouping of Col. Ervin N. Townsend

JS - Beautiful wings!

You need to open a museum!

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

But you're still not a wing guy right? LOL Incredible group!

Paul Conrad
Still looking for quality wings!

www.conradwings.com
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I am bored prefixing everything I say with "I think" or "in my opinion".
Everything I say is my opinion; the only thing of which I am certain is that there is very little of which one can be certain.

Hi JS!

Wow... oh wow... oh wow, you've got me groping for words! All I can say is THIS group is how one dreams of finding them...awesome.

Thank you for taking the time to post all of this great material.

My best to you,

Joe

Don't trick another, and don't get tricked. Don't show your weaknesses, but your spirit.

Member of OMSA 7250 and ASMIC 4552

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Excellent group! Really great material! Thanks for the look.

JD

AAF Collector...........
**Always Buying WW2 Aviation Related Items: Especially Operation Tidal Wave items (1st Ploesti Raid) ..... WW2 Fighter Ace Related Items.....Higher End A-2 Flight Jacket Groups....AAF Related Valor Medal Groups**

donation2017.gif
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Outstanding, JS. Thanks for sharing. Bob

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Son: This grouping is museum quality. You hit the jackpot and I thank you for showing it to us. Thanks ~ Danny

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Forum Member #1691 since September 2007

Served in the US Army from 1960-80

First Sergeant (Retired)

Vietnam 1967 with 7-15th FA ~ [8"/175mm Gun] First Field Forces

Vietnam 1968 with 1-30th FA ~ [155mm] 1st Cavalry Division [AIRMOBILE]

President & Historian 30th FA Regiment Association ( WWW.HardChargers.Com )

Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the 30th Field Artillery Regiment in 2018

Robin,

Very, very nice group. This was a period when our military had a lot of class in its uniforms and insignia, not like the "bus drivers" garb currently being worn by army personnel. If it was up to me I would get rid of the tarnish to show the real beauty of this badge, but that's just me and I suspect some on this forum are having a tissy fit over that suggestion. Nice and clean, the same way he would have worn it. Thanks for sharing.

Terry

Robin,

........If it was up to me I would get rid of the tarnish to show the real beauty of this badge.........

Terry

Terry, I understand. Sometimes I look at my WWI wings and feel that I want to clean them so I can appreciate the workmanship that went into the wings. Then I wake up..................

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/301020-robin-ray/

Terry, I understand. Sometimes I look at my WWI wings and feel that I want to clean them so I can appreciate the workmanship that went into the wings. Then I wake up..................

Robin,

I make it a practice to clean my metal wings at least once a year. I got that from Duncan when I was visiting him one day. He told me that no respectable pilot would ever wear tarnished wings and he wanted his to look like they did when they were being worn in WW1. I fully agree with him and have followed that advice since.

Terry

OMG Robin, what a great grouping! It seems to match, what reads like, a "great guy" as well! Not being a wing collector but starting out as a coin collector as an 8 year old kid and continuing with high end slabbed coins well into my 30's. When anyone talks about "cleaning" its like running your fingernails down a chalk board for me. Not funny! :blink: Well maybe a little. :P

It is interesting they seem to be die struck but more or less blank faced, then hand engraved details on the front. Very cool! And like Kat I was trying to figure out what you meant by this strange new word! Add one to the picture file! You turned me green once again! :love:

Mark D.

WANT TO BUY:

Titled case set "U.S. Typhus Commission";

Titled case "Medal for Merit";

ASMIC: 1677

OMSA: 6045

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Very nice grouping Robin, a first class collection.

John

...and on the eighth day, God created the radial engine...

those wings are just beautiful--- excel group!

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifpost-2-0-82042400-1545944020.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Robin,

I make it a practice to clean my metal wings at least once a year. I got that from Duncan when I was visiting him one day. He told me that no respectable pilot would ever wear tarnished wings and he wanted his to look like they did when they were being worn in WW1. I fully agree with him and have followed that advice since.

Terry

Terry,

I just wanted to thank you for your comment. Until Cliff had told me the same statement from Duncan, I believed by default, that the wings must stay in a dull shroud of the years, obfuscating the true detail of the wing. After I began to maintain my wings as you described, a whole new world of detail and intricacy opened up and I see what the pilot saw in his choice of wing or in the wing chosen for him. On some of the wings with a particularly heavy multi-layered residue on them, especially the uncommon & rare wings, like these Homrichous wings and the "stubby" WWI wing of myriad fine detail I was Blessed to become Steward over, an entirely new wing appeared from beneath the years of unkempt buildup to my amazement and delight. Thank You Again Fellow Steward and Historian....Mel

Brother, you have done it again. What a great group, each piece by itself very nice but when all together the kind of group dreams are made of for WW1 aviation collectors.

Congrats!

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

Terry,

I just wanted to thank you for your comment. Until Cliff had told me the same statement from Duncan, I believed by default, that the wings must stay in a dull shroud of the years, obfuscating the true detail of the wing. After I began to maintain my wings as you described, a whole new world of detail and intricacy opened up and I see what the pilot saw in his choice of wing or in the wing chosen for him. On some of the wings with a particularly heavy multi-layered residue on them, especially the uncommon & rare wings, like these Homrichous wings and the "stubby" WWI wing of myriad fine detail I was Blessed to become Steward over, an entirely new wing appeared from beneath the years of unkempt buildup to my amazement and delight. Thank You Again Fellow Steward and Historian....Mel

Terry, Cliff.......what is the recipe for cleaning these fine old wings?

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/301020-robin-ray/

This group is now in my collection, boy do i have some reading to do.

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg