WWII soldiers trumpet

Niner Alpha

Niner Alpha

I collect old trumpets, among other things. Recently I acquired a trumpet with the name of a WWII veteran on the case, marked with what looks to be his serial number. His name was Richard B Sandsmark. His obit shows he died in 1988 and was buried in Wisconsin. His WWII rank...inscribed on his headstone...was E5, but he was not a hard stripe.

This trumpet is what is known as a stencil . It was either Czech or German in origin. The most probable date of construction was before the War. The only name on it is "Royal" and made for some music store. And I say it was probably before the war because there is no country of origin stamp.

Back during WWII the US manufacturers of musical instruments all took up filling government contracts for things that required skilled metal workers. They made airplane gauges and other such things. Only a few musical instruments were made...also under government contract... were marked US or USN in most cases. Music stores must have been nearly out of business.

In any case...this is a mystery. Don't know if the guy who owned it played it in a military band or not. If he did...he didn't abuse it any.

post-6574-0-22716000-1372099185.jpg

I suspect, it was acquired as a "war trophy." At the end of the war (and even when it was going on) many many units had unofficial bands. So it is common to find a guy who played an instrument to obtain one someplace (trade food for a trumpet) and then form an impromptu band and play wherever- after the war the army heavily encouraged this as it gave guys something to do.

I would suspect that he was NOT a bandsman. That was a special MOS and quite uncommon.

Niner Alpha

The "Royal" stencil name had been around for a while before the war. Small music stores would offer "Royal" name instruments of various sorts as a kind of house brand in the US. The name was probably used by more than one German/Czech maker for the student market and probably contracted for and offered by some musical instrument jobber. I have a cornet with the same Royal name but in different script. A professional musician wouldn't have used one .... at least if he could get his hands on an American made name brand.....Conn, White, Olds, etc.

The mystery is .... why the WWII era serial number on the case? Was he in the Army when he had it? If in Army, why did he add Wisconsin? Why is there no Czech or Germany mark on it anywhere? Unless he got it over seas?

Acquired during post war occupation maybe?

Captainofthe7th

Wowwww, very nice! Do you play? I still dabble in both playing and collecting the old things. That is a great piece, really unique trumpet!

I wish I knew the story as well!

Rob

Niner Alpha

Thanks for the response Rob.

I'm retired. I play when my wife is out of the house. It's fun to pass the time and try to get back in practice and develop some skill again..

I think my trumpet collection will do better in value than most of my stocks. Wish I had traded some American Airlines and Kodak stock for trumpets back a year or two ago..... before they became bankrupt.

Captainofthe7th

Sounds like you have quite a few more than I do! :) Glad to hear you still keep at it...I feel bad I do not play more. I only ever play taps for Memorial Day now. Other than that, I've not kept up as much as I would have liked!

Rob