Some 10th Mountain variations

Patchcollector

nice collection there of 10th Mountain patches the odd colored ones are modern, these are patches that they run through the machines to test the colors and threads, there are 1000s of these and most likely no two are the same

Patchcollector

Thank you for taking the time to post these variations. I enjoyed it. Very nice shots.

You are very welcome sir,glad that you enjoyed them ^_^

nice collection there of 10th Mountain patches the odd colored ones are modern, these are patches that they run through the machines to test the colors and threads, there are 1000s of these and most likely no two are the same

Thanks for the info Sean :)

Has anyone ever seen a greenback version of the 10th mountain SSI? Did they exist or did the unit get formed late enough that the greenbacks were never made for this unit?

On another note, I have a WWII cut edge 10th SSI that had a white merrowed edge added to it. The patch is cotton but the edge material appears to be a synthetic material. Did these patches get modified after 1961 to meet operational needs? Has anyone else seen one with the added edge? (I'll post a picture when I get home tonight).

Thanks,

Tom

Patchcollector

Has anyone ever seen a greenback version of the 10th mountain SSI? Did they exist or did the unit get formed late enough that the greenbacks were never made for this unit?

On another note, I have a WWII cut edge 10th SSI that had a white merrowed edge added to it. The patch is cotton but the edge material appears to be a synthetic material. Did these patches get modified after 1961 to meet operational needs? Has anyone else seen one with the added edge? (I'll post a picture when I get home tonight).

Thanks,

Tom

Does yours look like this one I found online Tom?

post-13386-0-22686600-1372182964.jpg

Patchcollector,

Mine looks very similar to this with one exception. Since the materials on the edge are different than the edge, there is a definite color difference between the whites of the patch and the edge. It's almost discernable in your photo. It also has the 3/4 inch tail taped to the back of the patch.

Thanks,

Tom

The 10th Mountain was a wartime division...

Originally activated as the 10th Light Division (Alpine) in 1943, the division was redesignated the 10th Mountain Division in 1944 and fought in the mountains of Italy in some of the roughest terrain in the country. Following the war the division was deactivated, only to be reactivated and redesignated as the 10th Infantry Division in 1948. The division first acted as a training division and in 1954 was converted to a full combat division and sent to Germany before being deactivated again in 1958.

The unit was reactivated again as the 10th Mountain in 1985.

So I would say that most of the cut edge patches you find are WWII era (or WWII era surplus).

Patchcollector

The 10th Mountain was a wartime division...

Originally activated as the 10th Light Division (Alpine) in 1943, the division was redesignated the 10th Mountain Division in 1944 and fought in the mountains of Italy in some of the roughest terrain in the country. Following the war the division was deactivated, only to be reactivated and redesignated as the 10th Infantry Division in 1948. The division first acted as a training division and in 1954 was converted to a full combat division and sent to Germany before being deactivated again in 1958.

The unit was reactivated again as the 10th Mountain in 1985.

So I would say that most of the cut edge patches you find are WWII era (or WWII era surplus).

Thanks for the info! :)

• 1 month later...
Patchcollector

I recently added these 10th pieces to my collection,so I'm posting them along with my other ones.

post-13386-0-71894300-1377317082.jpg