Accessorizing your M1 Rifle

Blair217

Interesting to see the web-slings already in the system in '43! Also the way they refer to what we would call pouches as "envelopes"!

ThompsonSavage

Interesting to see the web-slings already in the system in '43!

They started making them in 1943, good to know at least as early as May. Also nice to see the plastic oiler.

post-45626-0-73645200-1372064777.jpg

Hi,

as for the "hammer" pictured in the second plate you could like to see an unused one with its label (dated 1943) still glued to the handle. This very same hammer is pictured in many .45 Pistol repair and maintenance manuals. As for the second hammer, all metal and only U.S. marked, I wonder if it is a military issue or not. Could you help?

Thanks!

Fausto

Most of the tool items were a general issue item,hammers screwdrivers,pliers,you could find the same items in dozens of different tool sets.A lot of those tools were commercially made/available items bought on contract.The local industrial supply warehouse had the same thing sans the label.I've not seen a hammer like the top one in any of the SNLs I have but they are WW2 ones.That said I've never seen a hammer of that pattern in the manuals I have.

Thanks Blair,

I incline to think that the all metal hammer is not a military issue. Anyway I got two of them at different times from different militaria sellers and I never saw again a similar one. Who knows...

If it is,I'd be inclined to think it's something 1960s or newer.I don't recall seeing all metal hammers like that in any WW2 or 50s era tool catalogs from major tool companies.