Shelter half tent stakes

VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury

Can someone share a history of the common tent stakes for the shelter halves? If this has already been addressed would someone direct me to it for I didn't see it with a quick search.

I recall the wooden ones from the World Wars, a metal one with two notches cut into it, then the ones molded with pieces extending from the top in a shape of a T. Then I recall orange stakes & green ones. I've been issued wooden one, & different types of metal ones.

When were the metal ones developed to replace the wooden ones & what type was first produced?

When did the first tent stakes officially issued by the military?

The first QM specification for the wooden tent pin was issued on 5 Jan 1889. The Infantry Equipment board that designed the 1910 equipment issued a small aluminum pin just prior to WW1 but the QM reverted to the wooden pin during the war. The "T" top aluminum pins from the Vietnam era were issued with specification JAN-P-501A dated 4 May 1949. I don't know when the color was changed but I have had original orange pins with a wrapper dated 1967. Hope this helps.

Tim

RustyCanteen

And at some point late or post (probably 1970s-1980s?) the orange "T" pegs changed to a more angular top. I have seen them in factory orange, so the paint change must have post-dated the design change.

RC

I have images and examples of at least three different variations of the US pre- and WW1 aluminum types dug from sites in France.

post-943-0-69682800-1372171159.jpg

I have images and examples of at least three different variations of the US pre- and WW1 aluminum types dug from sites in France. Here are three types of WW1 aluminum tent pins. They match specifications I have managed to find so far. Number 3 was dug in France. I have seen images of dug examples of the other two types, too.

VolunteerArmoury

Thanks for the info. Tent stakes was something I hadn't given much consideration to previously.

• 7 years later...
On 6/23/2013 at 8:31 PM, Keystone said:

The "T" top aluminum pins from the Vietnam era were issued with specification JAN-P-501A dated 4 May 1949. I don't know when the color was changed but I have had original orange pins with a wrapper dated 1967. Hope this helps.

Tim

Keystone: I'd like to see the orange pins in a wrapper dated 1967. Can you post one?

Here you go. The DSA number is a little worn but the 10 67 date is clear. The manufacturer seems to be Season-al and I have another marked ALTRO.

FSN 8340-261-9749.

Tim

67 pin a.jpeg

67 pin b.jpeg

67 pin c.jpeg

67 pin d.jpeg

• 2 years later...
redvers1899

Here are some tent pegs I use for my shelter house with some variations I was wondering if anybody knows when the hole was added to the tent peg how was the plane aluminum one here it’s actually early model that didn’t have a wholeHere are some tent pegs I use for my shelter house with some variations I was wondering if anybody knows when the hole was added to the tent peg or was the plain aluminum one  actually an early iteration that didn’t have a hole. I do know that the pegs in 80s were orange if you got unissued ones but they would be pretty quickly spray painted with  govt issue glossy olive drab which never stuck very well 

6B9C97C5-BBF4-4CD4-A244-541F3A713DF1.jpeg

88EAF9F2-C0E0-4F9B-BE1F-F5089CC8911F.jpeg

4040EFFE-FEE3-4BEC-A557-E77DE2EE0BC6.jpeg

97AD69B9-6432-4E45-9F5C-1707AFFB430C.jpeg

FB5B9FA9-C8C6-412B-8B33-8C585D9380BA.jpeg

The earliest date I've seen on the orange aliminum stake with hole is July 1967. These stakes were used in Nam. You can see these stakes attached to a soldier's rucksack in an undated photo in Vietnam. 

PIN, TENT, ALUM. JULY 1967.jpg

PIN, TENT, ALUM., 9.jpg

POLES, PEGS & GUY LINE.jpg

VIETNAM WAR.jpg