Thompson M1928A1 question

krautpot

the 1928 with smooth barrel is also absolutely correct in the ETO and as already mentioned it's the last version of the 1928 models with a few simplifications.

- smooth barrel instead of the finned barrel

- L-type rear sight instead of the complexe Lyman adjustable rear sight

- the knurling on the actuator,safety lever and the rocker pivot were eliminated

Savage Arms Co. manufactured an estimated total of 746,932 1928 and 1928A1 Thompson SMG while Auto -Ordnance is estimated to have manufactured 323,900 of the 1928A1 Thompson SMG.The simplified L-type rear sight began to appear on Savage M1928A1's at approximately S-400,000 No. range and the smooth barrel at approximately

S-500,000 No. range.On the Auto -Ordnance M1928A1's the L-sights appeared as low as 85,000 range but there was no defining line where the adjustable Lyman sight was used,it continued to reappear all through the No. ranges.The smooth barrel appeared at the same No.! So what is rare ? When I take a look on the the late M1928A1's with smooth barrel and compare it with the manufacturing No.of all the 1928A1's I would say it's one of the rarest though the 1928A1's with finned barrel looks tougher.A better example- compare it to the German Stg.44 with a total manufacturing No of approximately 425,000 guns - These are extremely seldom and achieve very high prices.About 250,000 1928A1's with smooth barrel were manufactured and so I would say they are seldom.Hope this helps.

I took the information from the book American Thunder by Frank Iannamico ---- A very good source.

doughboy

P.S when I say the 1928A1 with smooth barrel is rare - I mean it's rare here in Germany.I don't know how rare it's in the States but over here it's not easy to get that model.

Johan Willaert

Here's my S-530xxx range M1928A1 with smooth barrel and simple sight for reference...

They were sure used, plenty of pictures of them in the ETO...

post-92-0-15577900-1383597845.jpg

Re Post #28:

1. The reinforcing band around the front of the forearm was applied by field maintenance/depot repair to Thompsons that came to them with broken forearms. It was never a factory original item. It adds character.

2. The buttstock reinforcing bolt and washers was a mod made during M1928A1 production -- intermittently to start. It became standard by the time production switched to the M-1/M-1A1.

3. TSMG serial numbers are NOT indicators of precise dates of delivery. Complete or nearly complete guns were stored days or week or even months before cartloads of them were passed on the the govt/Ord inspectors. They were not stored in serial number order, and got shuffled around before inspection and then again before actual delivery.

Re Post #28:

1. The reinforcing band around the front of the forearm was applied by field maintenance/depot repair to Thompsons that came to them with broken forearms.

The reinforcing band was a fix for the riveted multi-piece grip mount. The new mount did not have as much strength as the older milled grip mount. Consequently, the riveted mount would bend while the gun was being fired causing the fore-end to pull away from the barrel. The band is not necessary for guns with the milled mount installed.

Johan Willaert

Indeed it is not really necessary on the 28, but it was on it when I acquired the gun and I like it....

I could transfer it to my M1A1 I guess...

bob lamoreaux

SIGH! I know this is sort of "sour grapes", but I am really envious of those who live in countries where deactivated automatic weapons are legal and available! The LAST Thompsons I saw advertised (by retailers) in the US of A -- DEWATS (Deactivated War Trophies) -- was in about 1968 or '69 by Cadmus Industries in California. M1 (or M1A-1) TSMGs were sold for $75, while '28A-1s carried a price tag of $85 or $95. I think the '28A-1s came with a 50-round drum (or a drum mag was like $10 additional). Of course, I was making $5,500 per year then and gasoline was only about 33 or 35 cents per gallon. Still, I wish our "progressive" law-makers would get over the firearms paranoia and realize that the problem is not with guns and gun nuts, it is with nuts with guns. Not meaning to be political, but Obama and Congress promised to do a two-fold study after the Sandy Hook school incident. The first was to examine federal firearms laws, the second was to examine "gun violence" from the standpoint of mental (and social) health issues. Anyone know if the second prong was ever accomplished? Sorry! I'd just really like to see some of these (now) fairly rare in the U.S. guns come back into the country, even as DEWATS. Maybe some Colt 1895s, some Colt-Vickers (hmmm, would that be applicable to this forum?), even M-14s. . .

I do not know where you have been looking but Thompsons are certainly not rare in the US. I saw a fair number for sale at the October Knob Creek shoot. There is even a photo of one of mine in this thread.

Please don't wish for dewats in the US, I much prefer mine stay the way they are - fully operational.

Take a look here, lots of information on Thompsons.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=viewNewContent&search_app=forums

SIGH! I know this is sort of "sour grapes", but I am really envious of those who live in countries where deactivated automatic weapons are legal and available! The LAST Thompsons I saw advertised (by retailers) in the US of A -- DEWATS (Deactivated War Trophies) -- was in about 1968 or '69 by Cadmus Industries in California. M1 (or M1A-1) TSMGs were sold for $75, while '28A-1s carried a price tag of $85 or $95. I think the '28A-1s came with a 50-round drum (or a drum mag was like $10 additional). Of course, I was making $5,500 per year then and gasoline was only about 33 or 35 cents per gallon. Still, I wish our "progressive" law-makers would get over the firearms paranoia and realize that the problem is not with guns and gun nuts, it is with nuts with guns. Not meaning to be political, but Obama and Congress promised to do a two-fold study after the Sandy Hook school incident. The first was to examine federal firearms laws, the second was to examine "gun violence" from the standpoint of mental (and social) health issues. Anyone know if the second prong was ever accomplished? Sorry! I'd just really like to see some of these (now) fairly rare in the U.S. guns come back into the country, even as DEWATS. Maybe some Colt 1895s, some Colt-Vickers (hmmm, would that be applicable to this forum?), even M-14s. . .

Actually the damage did not come from firing but from the strain put on the grip mount by use of the sling.

The reinforcing band was a fix for the riveted multi-piece grip mount. The new mount did not have as much strength as the older milled grip mount. Consequently, the riveted mount would bend while the gun was being fired causing the fore-end to pull away from the barrel. The band is not necessary for guns with the milled mount installed.

Johan Willaert

Indeed it is not really necessary on the 28, but it was on it when I acquired the gun and I like it....

I could transfer it to my M1A1 I guess...

Should I???

post-92-0-22763600-1383769137.jpg