National WW II Museum

100th Bomb Group

100th Bomb Group

I had the opportunity to visit New Orleans to see the National WW 2 Museum something that I've wanted to do for a long time. While I was there with my brother-in-law and son we got the chance to talk to a true hero Mr. Tom Blakey. Mr. Blakey was with the 82nd Airborne and jumped behind Nazi lines on D-Day. He told us he had a no nonsense Lt. that was leading the platoon and that night he got his men together in a room and told them of their objective which was to take and hold a bridge. The Lt. told them they would hold the bridge at all costs. Mr. Blakey stated they assaulted the bridge just before dawn and held it even after the Nazis attacked with 4 tanks, three of which they knocked out. Then came hundreds of soliders but they held the bridge until reinforcements arrived. We could have listened to him forever and his recall was just like it happened yesterday. Anyway after his talk we shook his hand and thanked him for his service and then asked if we could get a photo with a real hero. Mr. Blakey kindly obliged and as we got by him he said let me tell you something about this hero stuff. He said he was no hero he was just lucky to make it back home the real heores were the men under the white crosses. Humble to the end. No wonder we consider them the "Greatest Generation". I will remember this for the rest of my life and so will my son.

John

post-7483-0-64945200-1371956585.jpg

Great museum I visited it a few years ago, when some construction was going on. Would have loved to talk to that gentlemen with you. The humble soldiers are the ones who did their best for our country IMO