Vietnam War Captured Flags

Ricardo

Hi Friends,

New acquisitions: two flags of Vietnam War. For years I sought something similar!

These 2 flags which were both brought back by 5th SF veteran in 60´s.

IMG_6717.jpg

The South Vietnam flag has blood and shrapnel holes and was probably taken off of a Vietcong posing as ARVN. These SVN flags were often worn as scarves.

The viet cong battle flag is BIG!

Included with the flag are 2 typed labels that were with the flags since the veteran sent them home that identify them as "Vietnamese Flag" and "Vietcong Flag".

Enjoy!

Regards,

Ricardo.

They are nice. I especially like the VC flag. Hopefully you have the history of them also. And they look as if they might be silk, esp the VC flag. If so, you need to start the conservation efforts now.

Niner Alpha

I've seen a few captured flags. The red should go to the top, by the way if you display it. And the ones I've seen, that I know are genuine, have a blue field in the bottom. And .......silk wasn't the fabric of choice.....not that I know that all were like the few I've seen...but.... :rolleyes:

Most VC flags did have a blue field on the bottom. Most, but not all - I've seen a legit one that was green, but no one knew what the green symbolized. Silk was also a common material; they used whatever was at hand. I do have a couple of silk VC flags in my collection. Some of the dyes used are not that great and can fade. The one here looks to be of a faded raw silk material, which can get extremely fragile with age. I have a very large S Viet flag that a 101st Airborne trooper used at Hue during Tet to mark advanced US positions for air ID and it is so fragile, tattered and faded that I can only handle it with extreme care. Just from the photos, I like these flags.

Niner Alpha

Another thing about VC flags is that ...most of the time.... whomever was in the platoon or squad that participated in the action that produced the flag would sign it for whomever "captured" it.

Fish through the album at my 6thofthe31st.com site and you will see a few examples of what I'm saying.

Two photos of flags brought back as trophies by friends of mine, I'll try to attach.

post-6574-0-22665500-1372083832.jpg

post-6574-0-29581900-1372083846.jpg

I've seen a few captured flags. The red should go to the top, by the way if you display it. And the ones I've seen, that I know are genuine, have a blue field in the bottom. And .......silk wasn't the fabric of choice.....not that I know that all were like the few I've seen...but.... :rolleyes:

I put the flag with the red down to represent the defeat of the VC's. ;)

Another thing about VC flags is that ...most of the time.... whomever was in the platoon or squad that participated in the action that produced the flag would sign it for whomever "captured" it.

Fish through the album at my 6thofthe31st.com site and you will see a few examples of what I'm saying.

Two photos of flags brought back as trophies by friends of mine, I'll try to attach.

Hi,

Who sell me some possess captured flags equal to what you showed with signatures and unit name.

Thanks!

Ricardo.

Hi,

Who sell me some possess captured flags equal to what you showed with signatures and unit name.

Thanks!

Ricardo.

Ricardo, signed flags are very uncommon. perhaps the soldiers of the 6th of the 31st did this to most of their captures, but I've looked at many many bringback flags and very few have any signatures. I have a decent number of flags, not sure how many, and only one NVA has any writing from the capturing soldier.

Niner Alpha

Ricardo, guys who got them in combat don't sell them. Maybe their next of kin will sell them after they are dead.... but the guys I know wouldn't sell them.

Here is a different capture flag....

1969 Delta company 6/31st, 9th Division.

Two of the guys in this photo signed one of the flags in the previously posted photos. I suspect this flag got signed too....

post-6574-0-54474100-1372123942.jpg

I have several VC and communist flags obtained directly from the soldiers who captured them and none of them have signatures.

To say most of them were signed and that the soldiers would never part with them is not an accurate statement.

Jason

Niner Alpha

How hard would it be to make one of those flags? They were cottage industry at best. The stars on the actual flags were cut out by line of sight. The Vietnamese were pretty industrious at making a dollar off of GI's then.....and ebay people now. You think a bunch of bogus flags weren't made? Why do you think guys who actually got one legitimately got them signed?

It is extremely easy to make these flags and they are still be made in Vietnam today. That is why you have to be so careful with VN bringback flags.

I have handled the flags Ricardo posted and I have no doubt that these are 100% good.

I have seen fake flags with bogus GI names written on them that were just as fake as the unsigned flags. I am just saying that you are wrong to make a blanket statement that the flags never used white, were signed and that vets never let them go. I know for a fact that that is not an accurate statement. I have handled enough of these to know that.

Jason

Niner Alpha

Why are you an expert Jason W? You sell Ricordo the flags?

I'd bet everybody and his brother in Vietnam started making them and hanging outside of their hooch the minute the VC won the war. They knew when to change sides in a quick hurry. I bet there are more VC flags in Vietnam than there are sets of underwear...and a hell of a lot more than pairs of socks.

Niner,

Yes, I did sell Ricardo the flags and would gladly keep them if he changed his mind. I guess the forum is only allowed one expert and you seem to want the job.

Jason

Niner Alpha

Jason. I'm not selling anything. I'm not an expert on anything and don't pretend to be.. But I did my time in Vietnam as an FO for an infantry outfit that was as good as any and better than most. I also served a while with the 3/506, another good outfit. I was just wondering what makes you an authority on VC flags.

Niner,

I think it's past your bedtime, you are getting kind of grouchy.

Just what the forum needs, another guy who starts to go ballistic whenever anyone disagrees with him.

I offered my "opinion" based on documented facts. Fact, I have pictures showing white and red VC flags in Vietnam during the war. Fact, I have unsigned flags captured in Vietnam and sold by the vets themselves. To say that these things were never done or do not exist is just not true. I am by no means an expert but I have probably handled more of these types of things than the average person.

Jason

Niner Alpha

I never said there were no flags showing white. I never said there were no capture flags that were unsigned. I just said I had never seen them. And I never said no veteran ever sold one he captured. Just don't think it happens often.

But... I was there. I bet you weren't even born yet.

Let people make of this string whatever makes them happy. I'm done.

There is still a lot of passion about the Vietnam area. I did not serve, but I too have memories and friends for those times. This has been an interesting thread about the history of captured flags.....thank you.

I love the flags (.)

I am very happy with them and came from a good friend (who got the best sets and uniforms that I have in my collection). Thank you so much, Jason!!

War Trophies are given and sold every day, otherwise I would not have other captured japanese, german, italian flags and banners, by exemple.

Things change their hand every day. What matters is whether they will be cared for and respected as they deserve.

Believe me, it will be for me. Incidentally always been for almost 30 years.

Ricardo.