1958 Lebanon crisis

1stusmcdiv42

1stusmcdiv42

So Im looking to include a small display in The 20th Century Marine that centers around a marine who would have been involved in the 1958 Lebanon crisis.

So my question is what uniform developed between WWII and 1958 would have been used?? In the photos its easy to see the various pieces of web gear such as canteens, packs, pouches ect that the marines are wearing, but its hard to tell what uniforms many of the marines had been equipped with.

In 1958 we were wearing a combination of HBT P41 and M56 utility uniforms. There were plenty of P41 coats around. I don't remember a lot of P44s but there were some. The trousers were usually the darker HBT M56 pattern. Covers were mostly HBT M56 and some P44s. Most of the older utilities were larger sizes. I didn't make it to Lebanon but my unit, BLT1/3 (1stBn3dMarinesRein), mounted out from Okinawa and sailed around the China Sea for 37 days waiting to go through the Suez Canal if things heated up. A little known fact. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Also, probably the combat debut of the famous '53 dated "Blue Anchor" contract helmet covers, which were too late for Korea.

post-8022-0-61028000-1371907050.jpg

1stusmcdiv42

In 1958 we were wearing a combination of HBT P41 and M56 utility uniforms. There were plenty of P41 coats around. I don't remember a lot of P44s but there were some. The trousers were usually the darker HBT M56 pattern. Covers were mostly HBT M56 and some P44s. Most of the older utilities were larger sizes. I didn't make it to Lebanon but my unit, BLT1/3 (1stBn3dMarinesRein), mounted out from Okinawa and sailed around the China Sea for 37 days waiting to go through the Suez Canal if things heated up. A little known fact. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Thanks for this information. The interwar period between vietnam and Korea in living history is always dominated by portrayals of vietnam advisory stuff before Americas official involvement. So being able to portray a Marine in 1958 during combat in Lebanon will be fresh and interesting for people to see.

Sounds like a great display idea! I just sold a provenanced Lebanon deployment USMC helmet with beach landing markings and a camo cover to another member.

Rick

I think they had chevrons painted in black on sleeves, rather than metal collar rank insignia.

Mostly we wore the metal collar chevrons with screwpost attachments which were a PITA. A few oldtimers still had painted on sleeve chevrons but I recall very few of these. S/F......Bobgee

Like I said! Notice the WWII dog-ear flap canteens. Forgot about those. Lots of WWII dated gear still around back then. Great pics. Bobgee

Close-ups on the first pic reveal interesting detail:

closeu10.jpg

Name and service number on helmet cover

closeu11.jpg

Painted chevrons and embroidered name tape (I though the latter was done only by units based in Japan)

1stusmcdiv42

Great photos! I noticed that they guys with the Mitchel shelter halfs all seem to have them rolled up with the brown side camo pattern facing out. Very cool!

craig_pickrall

Another semi-rare item. I think it is the only photo I have seen of the M1951 compass pouch in use.

Thanks. Bobgee!

That's good to know. I bought a Marine trunk from a marine who was in from 57-60 and it came with a bunch if items from this era.

Good to know I could put together a Lebanon display.

Leonardo

craig_pickrall

Great photos! How about the 1911//carbine ammo pouch? I think that's what it is...interesting to see it so late. [pic 2, post 10]

http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5506&u=10018507

Rob

You called it right. Those were sold off as surplus in large quantities post Vietnam. They worked fine for the M1911 mags so no reason to get rid of them.

1stusmcdiv42

You see those dual purpose late WWII carbine pouches alot in Korea as well.

These are some pics of my Korean War Captains kit using two 44 dated BOYT made carbine pouches like in those pictures of the Lebanon Marines.

379234_10152150935695931_1666116477_n1_z

33981_10152150935720931_1570752075_n_zps