Australian Made 1st Marine Division Shoulder Patch?

GetSome!!!

I recently found these two patches sandwiched in-between the pages of a 1941 dated Army/Navy prayer book.

post-5785-0-00642200-1371824410.jpg

Very cool find! You never know what is hidden in the pages of books.

Or in the pockets of uniforms. I've found some really cool stuff in pockets because no one else even looked. :)

Patchcollector

I would think that the New Zealand made patches would be more scarce that the Aussie made ones.

vintageproductions

You can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand is the Australian made patches are usually the embroidered on wools, and these silk wovens of the 1st Mar. Div and the 1st MAC series were made in New Zealand.

firefighter

You can correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand is the Australian made patches are usually the embroidered on wools, and these silk wovens of the 1st Mar. Div and the 1st MAC series were made in New Zealand.

Interesting.You probably handled more of these than most so you have a better understanding.Thanks for the information.

These patches were designed and made here in Australia in 1943. Where the idea that these patches were made in New Zealand comes from beats me, but it is incorrect. The first Marine Division did not return to New Zealand after Guadalcanal (when these patches were initiated). The 2nd and 3rd Divs did but not the 1st.

Cheers

Sean

• 1 year later...
Wedgehead30

I realize this topic is old but, is this a patch that is or was reproduced / counterfeited? A true Australian made patch would be constructed of all natural materials and shouldn't emit a glow under a UV light, correct?