52' WILLYS PROSPECT WOW... How Much do you think $$$

HILLBILLY-06

HILLBILLY-06

You Guy's are all Great !

You have made this a very great and honest post, so Thank's and I really mean that. I didn't have any info to go on, I was kind of nervous about it anyway, but exighted at the same time. I really was very close to just letting him bring it out. But the $extra 500 bucks he wanted just wasn't there. He didn't want to come down that much either. So as we left it today, I would have been really giving more than I can afford, more than I had to bargain with, and from the sound of it here, perhaps more than I can take on financially to get it fixed up.

He really seemed like a nice enough guy, and really did want to finalize our deal today. I was to call him at 12 noon today, after our meeting together here to let him see and test the mower. I let him crank it, run all around with it, and cut grass with it. He seemed very pleased. But I could not make (yes) happen on the phone when I called him. I bet had I not asked questions here, I would have jumped on it with all stops pulled out, and it would be sitting here now. I could still maybe mull it over some, but even at that, one of the last things he said was that he had over $6000.00 in it already and couldn't go lower. But honestly, it looks like if he has that much in it now, "I'm scared to think" what it might cost to finish it, especially in light of all the advice here. I just don't know where that $6,000.00 went unless he left in laying in there litterally?

hbtcoveralls

it's just that most of us have been there at one time or another. We've had friends who got in over their heads because the deal was so exciting. We've bought projects that really blew up on us and we all wound up spending more than we thought we would. The best thing to do is learn. Like I said, join the local MV club, research on the net, get the tech manuals on any vehicle you're interested in and don't be afraid to network with other MV guys before you jump in. Good luck

Tom Bowers

Garandomatic

it's just that most of us have been there at one time or another.

That's what I was trying to get across also. Guaranteed that if it was an old military Jeep laying around instead of that 64 I had for a while, I'd have been the same way with it. It sounds like the original poster is a young man, and that's good, because often times messing with old vehicles is suitable only for a young man or a retired one! The '65 I mentioned ought to be gone in less than a month, and I don't anticipate anything taking its place for quite a while. In your searches, always try to get the best you can with what you have, and avoid falling in love with a project. There'll always be another one in better shape. When you're younger, money is harder to come by, so make sure you get something where you can see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a fully restored M38 and paid $5,500. No way I would touch this for more than about $1,000. And if you did get it for that, I would then sell it for parts as it's history is shot, take the profits from the parts sale and then find a restorable jeep, they are out there and not that hard to find.

HILLBILLY-06

Thanks guy's, It means a lot to me, and I bet all those folks out there searching for similar answers.

There's a lot of stuff I wouldn't have known had I not came here to look for some info. I knew there was lots of similar conversations going on, so I thought I would try to come here for some help.

I am glad I did that now. Thanks everyone...

I've been collecting WW2 vehicles since 1992. I wouldn't buy that M38 for any reason. There are plenty of them around that are original and in better condition for the money.

• 5 weeks later...
HILLBILLY-06

Just an update on this thread, "I PASSED ON THIS ONE" and recently opted for a MUTT instead, got it for less money, and it runs and drives, it was kind of a no brainer for me.... Thanks go out to evryone here for all thier help on this forum.... Dave.

Awesome, good to hear that sir!!

Just an update on this thread, "I PASSED ON THIS ONE" and recently opted for a MUTT instead, got it for less money, and it runs and drives, it was kind of a no brainer for me.... Thanks go out to evryone here for all thier help on this forum.... Dave.