US General William H. Hay's Croix de Guerre and DSM box

trenchbuff

I found this interesting WWI pair at a gun show a couple years ago. It consists of Gen. William H. Hay's cardboard DSM box and his Croix de Guerre with 3 palms which was inside the box. I have no idea what happened to the DSM and have not been able to track down any surviving family members. I had the CdeG for quite a while before I noticed it was engraved with his name on one side and 28th Division on the other. Hay was the last wartime CG of the 28th, taking over just before the 2nd phase of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Prior to that he had commanded a brigade of the 92nd. I have found very few engraved GdeG's so didn't even think to look and was pleasantly surprised to find the engraving, which obviously was privately done. As I've been unable to locate the DSM I've always wondered if it might have been buried with the General since it was his higest military award. It's possible that it might have just been lost, the family may still have it or it might be in a collection someplace. I've never seen any data on how many medals are buried with the recipients. I know my great grandfather was buried with his Elk's ring and Knights of Columbus sword. What about medals? It would certainly account for why some cannot be located.

Mark

post-944-1207157390.jpg

post-944-1207157409.jpg

From the "Madamoiselle from Armentiers"

'The general got the croix de guerre, but the son of a gun was never there!'

SORRY -- when I saw this, I could not resist!

G

ItemCo16527

That Croix de Guerre is beautiful! Not only is it in mint condition, but it's engraved as well? I've never seen one engraved before. Thank you for posting it! thumbsup.gif