American Colours captured by the British Army in the War of 1812.

king802

I, like most Americans, am a mutt. I can trace my ancestry back to nobility in England, and peasants in Germany. My wife is only second generation American on one side, her grandmother was from Portugal and one of her great grandparents was French Canadian Indian.

I say all that to say this. The Brits can keep the flags in exchange for BBC America particularly Top Gear, because our version sucks.

vostoktrading

Didn't we have something like 1.5 million troops in the UK just before D-Day in June of 1944?

You would think someone would have thought to re capture those flags at that time!

Of course it would have created problems with Anglo-American unity.... :rolleyes:

Didn't we have something like 1.5 million troops in the UK just before D-Day in June of 1944?

You would think someone would have thought to re capture those flags at that time!

Of course it would have created problems with Anglo-American unity.... :rolleyes:

Whats that quote from Braveheart? Prima Nocta? Some English, French, Belgians, etc. now have American heritage lol

Whats that quote from Braveheart? Prima Nocta? Some English, French, Belgians, etc. now have American heritage lol

You would still be hard pressed to beat us - we may be a small County but the British Empire was the biggest in history - three quarters of the world was under the Union flag. It started with piracy and then due to a healthier climate in colonised lands we outbred the locals at a tremendous rate. Like it or not but every English speaking country can trace its roots back to Britain. Never have so many been ruled by so few.

Not bad for a small island.

I'm okay with the Brits keeping our colors as war trophies, but on the other hand, we've given so many of our trophies back (mostly, German military vehicles), I can't help but wonder when the US gets the same accomodation from the few countries who have our stuff as war trophies...

Did you know that 40% of the US population can trace its roots to Germany?

I would have thought for sure that the majority of Americans could trace their roots to Mexico at this point...

SHHHH! They'll want to give back Santa Anna's leg. And I'm just fine with it being displayed across town.

vostoktrading

You would still be hard pressed to beat us - we may be a small County but the British Empire was the biggest in history - three quarters of the world was under the Union flag. It started with piracy and then due to a healthier climate in colonised lands we outbred the locals at a tremendous rate. Like it or not but every English speaking country can trace its roots back to Britain. Never have so many been ruled by so few.

Not bad for a small island.

Indeed! As they say, every dog has his day; and the British Empire was a big dog. I wonder who the next one will be, China?

• 2 weeks later...