American Colours captured by the British Army in the War of 1812.

king802

While still serving in the British Army I had the great opportunity to visit Chelsea Hospital in London - home to the Chelsea pensioners. The Museum is fantastic and they have a collection of captured Colours that is second to none - testament to the fact that the British Army has fought against nearly every country in the world.

In the Great Hall various replica's are on display (the original's are held in the museum), amongst them are four American Colour's captured during the War of 1812.

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/Warof1812/2008/Issue8/c_Chelseaflags.html

If any of you get the chance to visit I thoroughly recommend it - the National Army Museum is also near by and well worth a visit.

Rich

Shhhhhhh! They'll only want them back! ;)

NO, NO....Keep them with your bust of Winston :o !! When the coast is clear, we'll call!! :love:

To the victors go the spoils. Interesting piece of history I didn't know. I wonder if we have any captured colors from our first was of revolution?

To the victors go the spoils. Interesting piece of history I didn't know. I wonder if we have any captured colors from our first was of revolution?

Ohhh...we got more than their colours :D

They got the flags but we won the war. Ssssshh, they may want to try again! Danny

Actually general consensus amongst historians is the war was a draw. America tried to invade Canada and was repulsed and Britain gained no land on the American side.

It was only seen as a minor war for the British as we were busy beating the French.

One of my former Regiments - the Essex Regiment were responsible for burning the White House.

Incidentally in the film Master and Commander the book portrayed the enemy as a large American Frigate but it was deemed unacceptable by the films makers to have a small Royal Navy ship beating a large American one so the story was changed to a French ship.

Rich

We are actually in the middle of the 200th anniversary of the War of 1812 and no one really cares but the Canadians. its kind of sad really, but that seems to be the state of things here lately. We had the River Raisin Massacre here in Michigan and at the 200th last January very few showed up for the events. The National Park Service actually run the site now but I fear it hasn't really generated much interest in this war. Scott.

It's a shame it's not that well remembered. When you put it into the context of the Napoleonic Wars has a whole it's quite a fascinating history. The Naval side of things were interesting with the US Navy achieving some outstanding victories.

Rich

It's a shame it's not that well remembered. When you put it into the context of the Napoleonic Wars has a whole it's quite a fascinating history. The Naval side of things were interesting with the US Navy achieving some outstanding victories.

Rich

When I was aboard USS Constitution, a veteran of the War of 1812 , the USN's "living history" guide told some good yarns about its exploits!

Its not to say that we don't have museums and monuments, its just that it isn't really studied much in school or covered in popular media like other wars. As I said above, The River Raisin battlefield is Americas newest national park, we also have monuments in Lake Erie to Perry, and forts at Mackinaw that see a lot of tourism. When people go there they go to see a picturesque island and take in the sights, the fort being one of them. As far as the actual battle sight, not really much of a tourist draw...

New Orleans tends to play up Jean Lafitte and Andrew Jackson a bit but again, it really isn't a huge draw for tourism. Aside from some of the existing forts, I am not even sure if we have a single museum dedicated to this war... Scott

Yes we do. At the Yorktown Battlefield Museum there is a British regimental flag on display that was surrendered when the British left the town.

Bob

Its not to say that we don't have museums and monuments, its just that it isn't really studied much in school or covered in popular media like other wars. As I said above, The River Raisin battlefield is Americas newest national park, we also have monuments in Lake Erie to Perry, and forts at Mackinaw that see a lot of tourism. When people go there they go to see a picturesque island and take in the sights, the fort being one of them. As far as the actual battle sight, not really much of a tourist draw...

New Orleans tends to play up Jean Lafitte and Andrew Jackson a bit but again, it really isn't a huge draw for tourism. Aside from some of the existing forts, I am not even sure if we have a single museum dedicated to this war... Scott

Scott

There is a bunch of activity at the River Raisin Battlefield to sruce it up a bit. I will be there again this Summer making an interpretive walk for self guided tours of the area and to bring students to the site. You will have to take a road trip with me to test the walk out for me and see if it good enogh.

Bob

Bob

YankeeSpirit76

Two wars against each other but, to most of us here in the States, England will always be our Mama. :)

Two wars against each other but, to most of us here in the States, England will always be our Mama. :)

Did you know that 40% of the US population can trace its roots to Germany? I think England was 16% or so. Not my mama! lol :P (Grandpas name is Dulebohn)

Did you know that 40% of the US population can trace its roots to Germany? I think England was 16% or so. Not my mama! lol :P (Grandpas name is Dulebohn)

And the other 44% from south of the border?! ;)

Hi, to be honest I knew nothing about the War of 1812 apart from the burning of the White House but earlier this year there was a great documentary on UK Television all about it.

It seems many of the troops fighting for the British in Regular and Militia Units in Canada were American`s that had moved to Canada for all sorts of reasons but were stirred up due to the seaborne raid on a Canadian fort (forgotten the name). The Fort`s occupants ignited the powder store so it would not fall to the Americans and ended up killing many of the attacking force . They in turn angered by this, ransacked the town. This was then used to stir up the population to rally to the British cause, American immigrants included.

I`m sure there is someone on the forum that could verify this and give the name of the Town and fort raided.

I believe many of the Americans living in Canada were supporters of the British in the War of Independence but again someone perhaps could confirm this. Interesting subject.

I'm okay with the Brits keeping our colors as war trophies, but on the other hand, we've given so many of our trophies back (mostly, German military vehicles), I can't help but wonder when the US gets the same accomodation from the few countries who have our stuff as war trophies...

Did you know that 40% of the US population can trace its roots to Germany?

I would have thought for sure that the majority of Americans could trace their roots to Mexico at this point...

It is an interesting fact we have been taught very little about the war of 1812. Maybe it is because we got or butts handed to us on the ground. I kinda of wish the Brits would have kept Washington D.C.

I will offically go on record. Great Britian isn't my mama. My people settled New Amsterdam. Great Britian a island race of pirates and brigands on August 27, 1664, while England and the Dutch Republic were at peace, sailed sailed four frigates into New Amsterdam's harbor and demanded New Netherland's surrender.

The Dutch being better businessmen then warriors surrendered. :)

Scott

There is a bunch of activity at the River Raisin Battlefield to sruce it up a bit. I will be there again this Summer making an interpretive walk for self guided tours of the area and to bring students to the site. You will have to take a road trip with me to test the walk out for me and see if it good enogh.

Bob

Bob

I would like that Bob, hopefully everyone here will remain healthy this time unlike Memorial Day weekend... Still, I was glad to get to see your display it was first rate! I actually keep abreast of some of the River Raisin activities as my friend Tim Kurtz is the artist who did the official battlefield painting and the post office first day release that was unveiled a couple of months ago. Maybe I will be able to get him down from Grand Haven for this as well. Scott.

YankeeSpirit76

Hi, to be honest I knew nothing about the War of 1812 apart from the burning of the White House but earlier this year there was a great documentary on UK Television all about it.

It seems many of the troops fighting for the British in Regular and Militia Units in Canada were American`s that had moved to Canada for all sorts of reasons but were stirred up due to the seaborne raid on a Canadian fort (forgotten the name). The Fort`s occupants ignited the powder store so it would not fall to the Americans and ended up killing many of the attacking force . They in turn angered by this, ransacked the town. This was then used to stir up the population to rally to the British cause, American immigrants included.

I`m sure there is someone on the forum that could verify this and give the name of the Town and fort raided.

I believe many of the Americans living in Canada were supporters of the British in the War of Independence but again someone perhaps could confirm this. Interesting subject.

For every Yank fighting in the revolution, there was one still loyal to the King and joined in the fight on the side of the Brits. Thousands of loyalists went to Canada.