U.S. ARMY GENERAL STARS

mikeb

Today, I received a single U. S. Army Lieutenant General's collar stars. They were identified as Navy Vice Admiral stars, but when measured, they were 5 eighths inch wide, making them Lt. General miniature stars. The 3 February 2005 AR 670-1 still shows these as authorized for wear. My question is, what uniform would these be worn on. Another question would be, what is the determining factor an Army general would make in deciding which of the three sizes to wear. Sea Service officers still wear khaki shirts, but as far as I know, the Army no longer has a uniform that uses collar stars.

Small size stars were sometimes worn by general officers on the "overseas" hat, which was still being worn in 2005. With the greens being replaced by the blues subequent to 2005, this would no longer be the case. And, these would probably not be currently worn on the black beret, as your stars are probably positioned on an angle (as opposed to straight across)?

So, they could have been used back in 2005, but I can't think of a use for the currently authorized uniforms.