The ABCs of Collecting WWII Army Issued HBT Clothing

rambob

oldabewla, Really NICE HBT jacket you got there!! Could you take a picture of the back of it so I can see the seams. Thanks and congratulations.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Last fall attended a tag sale in the area.There were some military items.A lot of paper and manuals.Pieceing the things together it turned out the man had been a Navay doctor and served on the USS Sibley(destroyer) was in the pacific and then on to china I was guessing.The house was a huge old brick turn of the century home.Full attic and the families who lived there over the years seemed to not throw a thing away.The tag sale company stated they spent two weeks pitching items in to yard long dumpsters just to get to the stuff they felt was sellable.The whole attic was full of paper goods,magazines,etc from the 20s thorught the early 80s.Plus a lot of wooden crates,boxes etc.I thought I had dug through most of the stuff and had even found some additional items left behind the tag sale crew never sorted through.I had spotted a large garbage bag in the attic and never paid to much attention to it.Gathered up my stuff I found that they hadnt tagged for sale and went to get it priced.Decided to go back on day number two to look around and went back to the attic.A lot of the stuff had been gone through and even some sold early to the area dealers prior to the sale.I saw the garbage bag again and decided to open it and look in.After sifting through some old letters and such I saw a familiar color...I pulled it out and it was a real nice hbt shirt.Looked unworn and no worse for wear after 70 years in an attic.Decided to look further and there were the pants to match!!Below that was a set of the foulweather deck gear(top and bottom) as well as a nice unissued navy marked tropical OD shirt.Hard to believe they threw it out as I had bought the ngt baseball cap the day before.Ended up giving about $15 for the garbage bag finds.

Looking over ther topic here it appears its a pattern 45B as well but has all the Navy/USN contract info and the steel buttons with laurel leafs.He it is as I found it

post-342-0-06798900-1440536303.jpg

post-342-0-72605300-1440536325.jpg

• 2 years later...

Southern Athletics with the common print.

Bugger I have to struggle to get pictures up here due to size restrictions!

post-104823-0-43968700-1509781411_thumb.jpg

post-104823-0-68488200-1509781452_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Johan Willaert

Bringing this back to the top with a question about the pair shown in posts 19&20, page 1...

On that particular pair the cargo pockets are high up nearly against the waistband, contrary to most other pairs which have the trousers lower.

I have heard the pockets were lowered for ease of access on later 42C pattern trousers...

Can anyone confirm? Or is this just a manufacturer's variation

FWIW, on my Normandy worn CC2 treated pair the pockets are higher up that on other sets that I have...

Thx,

Johan

• 6 months later...

The label on this perfect-looking pair of HBT pants is driving me crazy. I cant find it in any reference book or site. I wonder if the pants are reproductions, but they came with a top that I was able to verify. Can anyone help? Thanks.

post-5641-0-95760200-1559403382.jpeg

• 5 months later...

MissFUBAR, don’t go nuts here. The QM tag looks good to me and tag details match tags on some of my trousers in the article. So I would assume they are original for the time being. BTW. What are you doubting about the tag?

Bob

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A very informing topic, because I recently bought this HBT Jacket OD7 special with plastic buttons, a version you don't see quite often. So that's why a was a little in doubt wether it was a regular issued jacket.

HBT OD7 Special No 45D front.jpg

HBT OD7 Special No 45D tag.jpg

• 3 months later...

As far as I know plastic buttons were just a substitute for the metal. War time economics. I have seen the trousers with all plastic buttons as well. Your pattern looks like the standard SPECIAL which has the gas flap as the Special specs called for.

• 4 months later...

I came across a singular pair of trousers the other day:

A pair of P43 model but in twill rather than HBT... I knew these existed for the Navy, but i didn't know they used twill for Army trousers pattern as well...

Anybody as some more info on these?

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

• 2 years later...