Suggestions for cleaning a wool USAF uniform

Flyer9314

I picked up these and other wool uniforms up from a family member. They were stored untouched in a closet for a long time. They have a layer of dust and possibly mold on the shoulders and other top surfaces. I took one coat to dry cleaners. They were able to get most of the dust and dirt off but they said that it could be damaged if they cleaned it anymore.

These uniforms belonged to a family member and I am trying to get them cleaned so that I can display them.

I thought about hand washing them in cold water before sending them to the dry cleaner.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean these uniforms up to prevent further damage? Do you send uniforms to the dry cleaners?

Thanks for your help.

post-62350-0-86185800-1371685301.jpg

Stinger Gunner USMC

depending on the situation I will use a lint brush (dust, dander and hairs), a very slightly damp clean un-dyed cloth using bloting motions (for mildews and molds), not rubbing or a vacuum with adjustible suction and do not apply attachment directly to cloth (dust, dirt, and any critters such as carpet beatles or clothing moth larve).

Thanks for the detailed cleaning instructions Stinger Gunner. I think that I'll try the vacuum and then the damp cloth.

I tried the vacuum and damp cloth today. The uniforms look better than the one that I got back from the dry cleaners. I never thought that they would come as clean as they did, especially not with just a vacuum and water. Thanks again for the advise Stinger Gunner USMC!

Several years ago, I had my old Air Force shade 1084 overcoat dry cleaned. This was after using it as a winter work coat back in the early 70's. The thing had grease & oil stains and was looking pretty sad, but I thought I'd give it a shot and took it to a local dry cleaners. It came back looking almost brand new. The guy who owned the cleaning shop told me that the overcoat was made of some of the finest wool you could get and it was better than most civilian garmets as to cloth quality. I was amazed at how good it came out. I've had many other old U.S. military wool uniforms dry cleaned (including some that had spent 50 or more years in storage), and have never had any problems with having them dry cleaned.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I have taken several uniforms to the dry cleaners but the dry cleaner that I used for the dirty uniform just didn't get it clean. They put a note on it saying that they couldn't clean it anymore without the chance of causing damage. I thought that the dirt was permanent until I tried the vacuum and water like Stinger Gunner USMC suggested. I might still send one or two of them to the cleaners to get them pressed and see if they can get some more of the dirt out.