Flying at the HAATS

hawkdriver

I thought I would let some of you in on something we Army aviators get to do. There is a course called High Altitude Aviation Training or HAATS. This is where you come to learn power management while flying helicopters in the mountains. This series of pictures was taken while my stick buddy was flying at 10,500 feet doing saddle approaches.

347y902.jpg

Notice all the dead trees, those are beetle kill and is what is causing most of the havoc here in Colorado.

21mc978.jpg

Looking back towards Eagle Colorado

2lcmqtx.jpg

rvd8hl.jpg

Making the approach

5f0imq.jpg

The last few feet

29ur7t0.jpg

Back around for another try

Jim McCauley

Climb to glory! It's a US Army aircraft. Can you name the type?

Best regards.

Jim

23Sep2012FlighttoTK022.jpg

23Sep2012FlighttoTK021.jpg

23Sep2012FlighttoTK015.jpg

23Sep2012FlighttoTK020.jpg

Spathologist

I have some from when they came down to Colombia to train the COLAR. I'll have to find them...

Jim McCauley

Looks to be a 6?

Anyone else have their pics of this stuff, post it, I welcome all.

Nope, not a loach. It is a US Army aircraft.

Another hint. It's acquisition was a big news topic. (I won't say in what time frame yet.)

Best regards.

Jim

Jim McCauley

Nice pics!

Another hint on my aircraft. It's a "non-standard" that caused a big stir in the news last year. The entire DoD owns, or has on order, about 200 of them. Not sure how many the army is carrying on their books. I know at least 20.

Jim McCauley

Then that would be the LUH, I didn't think they used steam gauges!

Nope not the LUH. The instrument panel pictured if from a US Army Mi17v1. The Army is also operating some Mi17v5 owned by the USAF.

Best regards.

Jim

DSC05464.jpg

Passed over Leadville a few times, never had a reason to stop. :)

The test activity at Rucker was flying a Hind back in the late 80s early 90s, I don't remember what ever became of that.

Beautiful mountain scenery and almost alpine-like meadows. Snow-topped, in mid June? Tell this Brit where that is geographically, please Hawk'!? Thanks.

Cobrahistorian

Ian,

It's out in Colorado. That was one of the courses I really wanted to take, but never got the opportunity to. Most of my battalion went through there last year though.

Ian,

It's out in Colorado. That was one of the courses I really wanted to take, but never got the opportunity to. Most of my battalion went through there last year though.

So it's the Rockies?

Ian, type into google maps, Leadville Colorado and Eagle Colorado and it will show you exactly where. Eagle is the base, Leadville is just a small town with a asphalt strip at 9,900. Camp Hale us just to the north of Leadville and then on further north is Vail and Beaver Creek ski resorts. And, yes, it is the Rockie Mountains.

My CO left us a few months ago for a job in training at HAATS. I hear its some of the best training in the Army.

Mike

Jim McCauley

Ahhh, got me there. Where were you flying those? Red Flag?

Afghanistan. Mostly training Afghan pilots. Some operational stuff.