Hi-Standard USA-HD Military

digi-shots

post-4361-0-26328400-1371680852.jpgI was sorting through some photos today and thought I'd post this one... it's a US Property marked Hi-Standard USA-HD Military. The holster is not US marked but the pistol fits nicely.

I'm looking for some vintage WWII .22 LR ammo, if anyone has any... both lead and especially metal cased.

Beautiful, Digi-Shots! So as to not hijack your post, I will post my Model "B" on a separate topic. Unfortunately, the photographic skills of the friend that sold it to me don't compare to yours...and mine are worse!

I know nothing at all about this pistol...never even knew of it's existence, until now! Would anyone care to enlighten me? Thank you.

HOLD THE PHONE! I just read the link which gunbarrel posted in a separate thread! Thanks. (Reminds me of the Nambu in profile!)

Sabrejet,

The US Military stamped models were used during WW2 mainly as training weapons. There's a civilian model very similiar that was sold before the war and after. There's also civilian target models.

They use .22 ammo which was relatively cheap to shoot and basically no recoil vs the m1911a1 .45 caliber.

Some of these models were used with suppressors for clandestine operators - the OSS similiar to the British SOE; followed by the CIA post war.

Some of these models still may be in use by the US Military.

Yes, the difference between the military and civilian examples of this pistol is that the US military issue ones are stamped "Property US" or have similar Government property markings. They are all called the military model.

David,

That's a great picture. I've been to that museum a number of times. They've really expanded it in recent years to the point where it is one of the premier WWII museums in the world now.

Admiral NImitz was an avid target shooter which his doctor encouraged as a way of dealing with the stress he was under. Here is another of his High Standard pistols.

NimitzHD_zps637b9e60.jpg

Regards,

Kevin Williams

Kevin, nice photo!

Here's a photo taken from Charlie Pate's Book, US HANDGUNS OF WWII, I'm sure you've seen it but thought I'd post it for others to see.

PhotogunHSNimitz001.jpg

Yep, there is another one often published that shows him shooting a Colt Ace. Man at Arms magazine also published a couple of photos in the last year that show his Woodsman. He liked his .22 pistols!

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but for you guys out there that have them, I'm looking for a PARKERIZED one, that is U.S. Marked.

Anyone ever finds one, let me know?

Thanks

37thguy at ameritech dot net

Blockislander

I have a parkerized one. my files are to big to upload for some reason. I don't know how to make them small enough. If you send my you email, I wiliness you pictures.

Paul

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a picture of a parkerized, poor condition, USA Model HD saved from the to be junked pile. Purchased in 1998 and made shootable, with the help of Brownells in 2012.

post-55163-0-37987500-1554061786_thumb.jpg