INDIANA WOMEN IN THE WORLD WAR

BEAST

I was pretty pleased to run across this today as I didn't even know it existed. I haven't found a digital copy on-line and my normal book dealer websites don't seem to have a copy either.

It is a compilation of all of the women from Indiana who served during WWI. At least all that the American Legion Auxilliary could find. It appears that the information came from the vets themselves. Most list hometown, where enlisted, where served, etc. One of the neatest parts for me is that a great great aunt of mine is included.

Now if I could only find a Hoosier WWI women's group!

post-203-0-34403200-1371670024.jpg

post-203-0-26172800-1371670079.jpg

Very cool find! It looks like all of these women served in the Army Nurse Corps.

Does it have any women from other branches?

....Kat

There is no doubt that a number of mothers, wives and sisters played a big part to help with the war effort in all of our major conflicts. It's also nice to read about their contributions.

Yup, looks like a lot of nurses on that list which makes perfect sense since there weren't that many positions in the Army available to women in those days. Cool information Erick!

Over half of the women who served in the United States armed forces in World War I – roughly 21,000 in all – belonged to the Army Nurse Corps, and performed heroic service in camp and station hospitals at home and abroad. Like their Civil War and Spanish American War predecessors, they found themselves on many occasions working close to or at the front — living in bunkers and makeshift tents with few comforts. Women experienced all the horror of sustained artillery barrages and the debilitating effects of mustard gas while taking care of soldiers and civilians alike.

More than 400 U.S. military nurses died in the line of duty during World War I.

there weren't that many positions in the Army available to women in those days.

True there weren't many postions available to women in those days but I found this information interesting:

The U.S. Army recruited and trained 233 female bilingual telephone operators to work at switchboards near the front in France and sent 50 skilled female stenographers to France to work with the Quartermaster Corps. The Signal Corps women traveled and lived under Army orders from the date of their acceptance until their termination from service. Their travel orders and per diem allowance orders read “same as Army nurses in Army regulations.” They were required to purchase uniforms designed by the Army, with Army insignia and buttons. When the war ended and the telephone operators were no longer needed, the Army unceremoniously hustled the women home and refused to grant them official discharges, claiming that they had never officially been “in” the service. The women believed differently, however, and for years pressured Congress to recognize their services. Finally, after considerable Congressional debate, the Signal Corps telephone operators of World War I were granted military status in 1979, years after the majority of them had passed away.

Awesome information! Sadly, because of the snail's pace for change in Washington, these women were recognized long after it would have made a difference for most of them.

True there weren't many postions available to women in those days but I found this information interesting:

The U.S. Army recruited and trained 233 female bilingual telephone operators to work at switchboards near the front in France and sent 50 skilled female stenographers to France to work with the Quartermaster Corps. The Signal Corps women traveled and lived under Army orders from the date of their acceptance until their termination from service. Their travel orders and per diem allowance orders read “same as Army nurses in Army regulations.” They were required to purchase uniforms designed by the Army, with Army insignia and buttons. When the war ended and the telephone operators were no longer needed, the Army unceremoniously hustled the women home and refused to grant them official discharges, claiming that they had never officially been “in” the service. The women believed differently, however, and for years pressured Congress to recognize their services. Finally, after considerable Congressional debate, the Signal Corps telephone operators of World War I were granted military status in 1979, years after the majority of them had passed away.

Awesome information! Sadly, because of the snail's pace for change in Washington, these women were recognized long after it would have made a difference for most of them.

Very true. Thanks so much for being interested in women who served!

....Kat

RustyCanteen

Over half of the women who served in the United States armed forces in World War I – roughly 21,000 in all – belonged to the Army Nurse Corps, and performed heroic service in camp and station hospitals at home and abroad. Like their Civil War and Spanish American War predecessors, they found themselves on many occasions working close to or at the front — living in bunkers and makeshift tents with few comforts. Women experienced all the horror of sustained artillery barrages and the debilitating effects of mustard gas while taking care of soldiers and civilians alike.

More than 400 U.S. military nurses died in the line of duty during World War I.

It is unfortunate that they were forgotten then, and still fairly unknown even 90+ years later.

They served as exemplary as any, and their service is something to make not only their descendents proud -but the entire nation as well.

RC

Thanks folks for the kind words! When I was in college, I worked for the third largest genealogical collection in the nation and spent a lot of time going through their military section. I never saw this book in the collection. The only copy that I could find is in our State Library collection.

J.S., My G.G. Aunt who is listed in the book is buried in the Golden Gate National Cemetery, so there is some California representation!

Very cool find! It looks like all of these women served in the Army Nurse Corps.

Does it have any women from other branches?

....Kat

Hi Kat,

Thought you might like this book! Yes, it has names of women assigned to the ANC, the American Red Cross and I found one who served with the US Army Signal Corps in France. I just started going through it so there may be other organizations represented.

I found one who served with the US Army Signal Corps in France. I just started going through it so there may be other organizations represented.

That is very interesting that you found one in the Signal Corps. Would it be alright if you posted her name? Maybe we can find something about her. From what I found above, there were a very small number of women who served in the Signal Corps. Now if you found one who served in the Marine Corps, that would be very interesting!

You are correct that I do like this book! :) Y'all are getting to know me too well! :D

That is very interesting that you found one in the Signal Corps. Would it be alright if you posted her name? Maybe we can find something about her. From what I found above, there were a very small number of women who served in the Signal Corps. Now if you found one who served in the Marine Corps, that would be very interesting!

You are correct that I do like this book! :) Y'all are getting to know me too well! :D

No problem! Fortunately her married name and address (1930's) is included, so it may make research easier. By the way, I just found the names of a few of the women assigned to the USN. Havn't found a Marine yet.

post-203-0-75649700-1371744585.jpg

That is great that you found some USN women too.

In the back of my book "Dressed for Duty", there is a list of all of the Telephone Operators of the AEF. Helen Bixby is listed. There are two more women from Indiana who must be sisters or cousins:

Carrel, Bertha A - Ft Wayne, Ind

Carrel, Martha L - Ft Wayne, Ind

• 2 weeks later...

That is great that you found some USN women too.

In the back of my book "Dressed for Duty", there is a list of all of the Telephone Operators of the AEF. Helen Bixby is listed. There are two more women from Indiana who must be sisters or cousins:

Carrel, Bertha A - Ft Wayne, Ind

Carrel, Martha L - Ft Wayne, Ind

Kat,

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I was on the road last week. Here are the entries for the Carrels. Interesting write-up by Bertha.

post-203-0-21208100-1372776620.jpg

Here are the entries for the Carrels. Interesting write-up by Bertha.

Thanks for the new info. It is very interesting what Bertha wrote.

....Kat

Looking through the book further, I ran across a list of the abbreviations used. Although I haven't found any yet, it does appear that some of these Hoosiers served in the Marines as well as other branches including civilian organizations.

post-203-0-26977300-1372787492.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
mars&thunder

Jack's Son - Regarding women from South Carolina in WWI, the 2 volume set of South Carolina service members in WWI does contain women mixed in with the men, in alphabetical order. SO if you have a name, you are golden. If just wanting to see a comprehensive presentation to draw conclusions about numbers and type of service, you are out of luck.

General Comment - I am a person who loves to have references in my library, primarily WWI, and this title was a completely new one to me. I read this thread when it first came out and I spent some time looking through all the typical book sites hoping to find a copy. No luck. But I did finally try a search on ebay and lo and behold they had a copy available at a reasonable price as a buy it now so I am happy to say it has joined the other references on my shelves. Thanks for to Beast for posting this very interesting topic. And to ebay for coming through as it undeniably does from time to time.

Mars & Thunder, Great job finding that on eBay. I searched their completed listings when I bought mine and couldn't find any others. I also searched worthpoint and didn't have any success either. The library in Fort Wayne, Indiana has the third largest genealogy collection in the US and I can't find it in their catalog either. I'm guessing it is a kind of hard to find.