Real or Repro?

gap

I am no expert on ww2 holsters but a friend of mine has a holster like that that was brought back from Vietnam. its a USMC marked BOYT 45 and I remember it because I almost bought the thing but he backed out of the deal.

Well...I've got a BOYT example similar to yours, except that it's the earlier type without the extra strap...nor is it marked USMC. Is it already in your possession or are you considering buying it? "Hands-on" is always best...if possible! Looks ok in the photo.

PS. Also available in black! ;)

post-8022-0-28102400-1371654033.jpg

Gap,

if you like some details, here some pictures of a legit and mint M7 USMC Boyt 45. The one in your topic looks good, but there is some white material under a buckle (why, maybe to protect the leather from verdigris?) and more white around the belt strap button. Take care: the belt strap button is a weak point of most - if not all - M7 USMC Boyt 45 holsters. It is very easy to find it brocken and made in pieces by the verdigris if not well cared and cleaned over the years. I know many examples of these holsters - in mint & unisseud condition - which have this button more or less well repaired...

Hope this can help.

Fausto

post-8381-0-58424400-1371656140.jpg

post-8381-0-38167300-1371656149.jpg

post-8381-0-90044500-1371656157.jpg

in the previous picture and in this one you can see how the straps were secured by the leather thongs... The little ropes follow the original drawings...

post-8381-0-48021800-1371656202.jpg

I've handled these repros. Although they look the part, aside from their "newness" they are made of an inferior grade of leather to the originals and have a much lighter feel when handled, if that makes sense?

If it's an original used one, there should be permanent indentations in the leather straps where the buckles have been fastened for years. Can't easily fake that kind of wear!

Well said, Ian. Not to mention the verdigris on the hardware which, once removed, shows the bare brass with no more blueing...