Can you identify this patch?

jagjetta

Greetings,

Been having a devil of a time tracking this patch's identification. After flipping through books all weekend, I turn to my USMF friends for help. Does anyone know what unit may have worn this patch of a cat hugging a falling bomb?

Thanks.

John A-G

post-949-0-23692400-1371480197.jpg

post-949-0-09348200-1371480308.jpg

Its the 464th Bomb squadron and I think its when they were flying B-29s.Its ID on page 47 of the usafpatches.com website in the no inscription section.Scotty

Johnny Signor

Hey John, you're having them same situation I am with this one, many years ago when I first started doing research on WW2 flying unit emblems I came across this one , was "told" a couple of ID's and I didn't at the time have the good sense to keep the "contact" Info about it.

Anyway , here"s what I was told, 464th Bombardment Squadron/331st Bombardment Group/2nd/20th AAF, or 36th Bombardment Squadron,2nd BG, lastly a "Photo Recon Sqd" unsure of number of the unit .....................................

So I guess we're both still "in the dark" on it as they say , hopefully with the image posted someone will find a "definitive" ID for us and we can put this one away !!!!!

Johnny

Thank you, so much, Bill and Johnny! That one was a real stumper and you made it easy. I should have started with the question on USMF instead of spending all of Father's Day flipping through my books searching for it.

Again, thank you for the help.

JAG

WorldWarPatches

464th scan from 1944 Air Heraldry looks close. you decide. I think usaf.com is wrong on this one

post-119983-0-19300200-1371568936.jpg

Johnny Signor

Does anyone have a photo of the first posted image(color) in use either in patch form or as art on aircraft and or base sign etc ??????????????????

I'm thinking it's a 464th but either a "stateside" design or a short lived "Unofficial" design used by that unit seeing as they got the B-29's late in the war and only a short time before the war ended .

Would really appreciate anything showing this one in use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

The patch looks more like a 1950's era squadron patch than a WWII patch. Just my personal opinion, of course!

-Ski

Johnny Signor

Yeah , it very well could be , I'd be happy just finding out it's proper ID and era................................................