WWII BMG .50

woodsman

This is a WWII BMG .50 which I found in the woods here in Germany, while I was out for picking berrys.

Already cleaned it, bottom says : L C 43 !! What does it mean? 1943?

There was an old railway tunnel nearby, where the Germans had some kind of railway artillery. Maybe this round was fallen out of an allied aircraft, while attacking the german artillery.

post-121861-0-65917100-1371475448.jpg

post-121861-0-02190800-1371475482.jpg

Yes, that's the year it was made....when I was stationed in Germany I went metal detecting too, but you need to be careful, because some of those noisemakers can still be dangerous...I detected one site where a horse-drawn column had been strafed...after about 2 hours of picking up .50 cartridges and links I quit...it was getting tiring and the bag too heavy. On the way back to the car (I always left the detector on as I walked back), I uncovered an unexploded 37mm tank round..I still have boxes of those dug casings...

Mark sends

I think this is resticted by law in germany and I am happy with just this single one, don´t need anymore. But I am curious about what the letters are about? do they tell any story about the round?

ww2relichunter

I think this is resticted by law in germany and I am happy with just this single one, don´t need anymore. But I am curious about what the letters are about? do they tell any story about the round?

it is not restricted in Germany mabye on certain sites but i know of many people who metal detect an Germany and it is a great hobby !!

it is not restricted in Germany mabye on certain sites but i know of many people who metal detect an Germany and it is a great hobby !!

yea I´m sure the german woods are full of it...

It might be stating the obvious, but 70 year old discarded munitions can be potentially dangerous. I have some friends who visit the WW1 battlefields in Belgium and France regularly to dig. They always get permission from the landowners and/or local authorities. Corroded rifle clips, loose rounds and various other projectiles are commonly found. If they find a substantial amount, they have to inform the authorities who then arrange for their safe disposal. Old explosives can be very unstable!

ww2relichunter

yes i have seen some great finds from germany because a lot of german and soviet equipment weapons and badges and uniforms where just dumped in the woods !!