OPERATION WATCHTOWER-What do you have from Guadalcanal?

BEAST

2nd raider Bn at Edson's Ridge:

One corpsman, Hospital Apprentice Robert L. Smith, USNR, gave the full measure of devotion to duty and was killed in action on the morning of September 14th. As the battle raged throughout the night, Smith was constantly on the move, treating and evacuating the wounded. At daybreak, as he and Corporal Kyle Z. Cassidy of Company "E" sat smoking, they spotted a wounded Raider lying near the crest of the ridge. In spite of Cassidy’s urging him to let one of the other corpsmen go, Smith headed up the ridge toward the casualty. Cassidy watched until Smith reached the wounded man and began treating him, then was distracted and looked away. When he looked back, Smith was lying prostrate across the wounded man, having been shot to death in the very act of saving another’s life.

post-248-0-70874800-1411778672.jpg

post-248-0-15074500-1411778682.jpg

Hi everyone, here is my contribution :

Horace Leslie " Les '' Ferrell was born on small farm in Grady Country, Georgia in 1920. He joined the USN in March 1940 and trained as s Pharmacist's Mate. Ferrell volunteered for the new Marine Parachute program and went throught jump school at the Naval Air Statrion, Lakehurst, New Jersey. He joined the 1st Marine Parachute Battalion, which underwent further training at New River, North Carolina. The battalion them shipped out to the Pacific and took part in the invasion of the Solomon Islands on 7August 1942.

The 1st Parachute Battalion assaulted Gavutu, and although it was an amphibious attack,it marked the first time that American Paratroopers fought in combat. Ferrell helped to treat the commanding officer, Major Robert Williams, when he was hit by enemy gunfire. Ferrell was in action again on Guadalcanal in the Battle of Bloody Ridge,during 12 - 14 September. He was wounded in action there and later received the Purple Heart medal. Ferrell stayed with the Paratroopers until those units were deactivated in 1944, he returned to the Navy and served until the war ended. After WWII, he lived in Florida. He died in 2010.

Semper Fi. Tom

Very nice, and he also had been in Luzon (Philippines) or got that patch from someone who was. The patch is for Filipino civilians who assisted the Japanese occupation forces. I can read the family name of Alta and the town of San Fernando, which is likely the one in the province of La Union.

I have many of these patches and they come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but seem to be limited to originating from central Luzon for the most part. The all have the name, age and town.

Most people confuse these with Japanese military patches, and although somewhat similar, they are not.

Regards,

CB

Very nice, and he also had been in Luzon (Philippines) or got that patch from someone who was. The patch is for Filipino civilians who assisted the Japanese occupation forces. I can read the family name of Alta and the town of San Fernando, which is likely the one in the province of La Union.

I have many of these patches and they come in a variety of sizes and shapes, but seem to be limited to originating from central Luzon for the most part. The all have the name, age and town.

Most people confuse these with Japanese military patches, and although somewhat similar, they are not.

Regards,

CB

Hi CB, thanks for your info. Cordially. Tom

Hi CB, thanks for your info. Cordially. Tom[/size]

I also have a USMC card signed by Ferrel and also the signed photo that you have, though yours is much larger. It is nice to know more about the vet! Your grouping is outstanding!

Cheers,

Mike

Kurt Barickman

Uniform of Thomas Leineweber who served with HQ Co. 1st Battalion 2nd regiment on Guadalcanal for 9 months and was Wounded and when on retire in 1967 as a Colonel

attachicon.gifTarrant 028 (Small).JPG

attachicon.gifTarrant 029 (Small).JPG

attachicon.giflineweber 003 (Small).JPG

attachicon.giflineweber 004 (Small).JPG

Very nice Mark,

Named 2nd Marine Division patched officer blues are difficult to locate. Thanks for posting.

Kurt

Hello,

Here is my contribution with this canteen.

This canteen is named Lytle E. Whitley Jr..

He was in Hq&ServBtry, 1st Bn, 11th Mar, 1st MarDiv and he arrived on Guadalcanal Sept 14th, 1942.

On oct 16th, 1942, he was killed at the south of Henderson Field during a japanese naval bombing.

He was 18.

post-67345-0-60877000-1412338271.jpg

post-67345-0-84643200-1412338272.jpg

post-67345-0-96937500-1412338273.jpg

Here is a group of medals, badges and insignia including a KIA Purple Heart to Gunnery Sergeant Cook who served in combat on Guadalcanal and was killed on the beach at Tarawa.

Dick

post-9487-0-51432500-1412373627.jpg

post-9487-0-70243200-1412373650.jpg

post-9487-0-81737800-1412373689.jpg

post-9487-0-80847400-1412373699.jpg

post-9487-0-22968700-1412373710.jpg

Hello,

He was in Hq&ServBtry, 1st Bn, 11th Mar, 1st MarDiv and he arrived on Guadalcanal Sept 14th, 1942.

On oct 16th, 1942, he was killed at the south of Henderson Field during a japanese naval bombing.

He was 18.

Love it!

Arny cover named to a Marine.

One for the books and just shows never say never.Have seen a few over the years.Thanks for posting.GREAT PIECE.

Here is a group of medals, badges and insignia including a KIA Purple Heart to Gunnery Sergeant Cook who served in combat on Guadalcanal and was killed on the beach at Tarawa.

Dick

Really nice! My Corpsman's helmet and file is on this thread. He also was with the 8th Marines, B Company of the 2nd Tank Battalion.

Cheers,

Mike

SORRY FOR THE REPEAT!

quote name="kanemono" post="1748010" timestamp="1412373714"]

Dick

Really nice! My Corpsman's helmet and file is on this thread. He also was with the 8th Marines, B Company of the 2nd Tank Battalion.

Cheers,

Mike

Hello,

He was 18.

What a great artifact you have! Congrats!

Mike

Kurt Barickman

Dick

Dick,

This is so cool and complete, can't say enough positive things about it. Thanks for posting again.

Kurt

• 2 months later...

Since having to sell my 7th Marines dog tag a few months back, my Guadalcanal related items were reduced by 50%. So I figured I'd show my other set of tags to a 43rd Infantry Division soldier who saw service with the 43rd from Guadalcanal to the end of the war in Tokyo.

Lewis McCormick retired as a Colonel in 1976. The tetanus date is nice and early, giving it a good chance of being a pair of tags he wore throughout Guadalcanal.

post-104906-0-10025300-1419102554.jpg

Here's one I picked up in a trade earlier this year. When doing the swap, I only had enough time to scan the muster rolls on my phone and see that he actually was on a ship in 1945, and it wasn't until I got it home that I discovered the fascinating story behind this jumper.

This sailor was aboard the USS Quincy (CA-39) when she was sunk during the Battle of Savo Island on August 9, 1942. Fortunately, he survived the attack and by the end of the year he had been assigned to the USS Core (CVE-13) until his reassignment to the USS Bon Homme Richard (CV-31) in 1944, where he returned to the Pacific in time for the operations at Okinawa.

I still need to order his records to see if he was wounded during the sinking of the Quincy, in which case I'll add the appropriate ribbon, but this is the restoration so far.

post-112103-0-73892100-1419192556.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Here is my dress blue uniform of the 2nd Lt Offenbacher KIA at Guadalcanal in January 1943.

He was leader of the 2nd platoon, B company 1/2, 2nd Marine Division.

Regards.

post-67345-0-63264100-1422628922.jpg

post-67345-0-03525700-1422629209.jpg